I want a puppy.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Alex, Jun 27, 2006.

?

Which doggie ?

1. 1

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. 2

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  3. 3

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. 4

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Ive been looking at a few breeds and I really think I want a husky. Now, I've been reading up on the pros and cons of the breed and Im still interested in them.

I'm well aware that its hot as shit down here, but if you keep their coats trimmed they have no issues (apparently). They dont like to exercise in the heat either.

Thoughts or suggestions as to other breeds?

2. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  3. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

my friend has a husky mix thats way more hairy than a huskey by itsself. since hes been getting it gromed it has no problems with the heat. if you get one try to get one that was breaded down here in the south so maybe it will be a lil more tolerant to the heat. otherwise there great dogs.

4. slpymnky

slpymnky Member

I really like Australian Shepherds, but they get very nervous and on edge if they are not exercised a lot.

Labs are awesome dogs because they are low maintenance and are easy to train and are not really agressive.

5. Doug

Doug New Member

Standard Poodles are excellent if they can be with you most of the time.
    Doug

6. jt money

thats just what alex needs a dog with the same hair as he has.:keke:

7. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

Alex, I have a husky and can fill you in if needed. Great dogs, and wonderful to own. Very smart, but can be difficult to train.

8. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

whippits are as lazy as you want them to be, and pretty easy to train. fast as all fuck too.

9. blink

blink Member

Same here, had a Siberian Husky for 8 years, blue eyes, most gorgeous dogs in the world.. but they don't belong down south. Never had a problem with my in the training deptartment. Key note, be very very careful with certain fur patterns, mine was grey and black, and 1 outta 2 people in the city swore it was a wolf breed, ready to attack. It ended with someone shooting & killing my dog.

10. gt9729b

gt9729b Member

Why not just go to the Animal Shelter and pick one up?

11. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

heh, i know someone else that likes huskys

12. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

that's what i did once and ended up with a really nice Corgi...she was great....my girl wants a Chihuahua....:pssh:

13. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

:eek3: :wtc: Sorry to hear that man. Gotta hate it when something like that happens.

Craig

14. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

i love dogs..
    but the story behind it was i was scared of dogs[age9] a dog ran behind me and i was running over steps to my house at 3rd floor[back in india] and the steps and whole building is made of concreate i fall down the steps and somehow bite my own touge making my touge get a BIG CUT and started bleeding next thing i remember it hurted so bad.. my mom rushed me to a clinic near house, i had to get 18 stiches.. which i look back and laugh at .. i still have a big long mark that reminds me of stiches whenever i brush also.. after that i was never scared of dogs.. and at age[11] i got my own dog named LOBO [LOVO] he was a black liboro i raized him from ground up when i got him he was the size of my small hand.. and after him i got 2 boxers, 4 street dogs and 2 german sherperd the total of 9 dogs... i and my little brother cared for him, trained them also my lobo was my 1st dog and he went nuts whenever he saw my dad.. he loved him like crazie.. ever seen flimstones dino jump over fred, thats how he jumped on my dad..
    from all the dogs LOBO was the most friendly, loveable, caring, and a huggie lover.. i still love him over the years i had my lobo for 5 years in dogs years i belive lobo was 15 years old or somewhere maybe 13.. but later on when i came to USA someone who was caring for the dogs killed my lobo by posion so... i always wanted a lobo again.. but i have to wait till i get my own house for it.. i miss my lobo we had a bond.. i always or whenever i go to the dog park i find someone eles liboro dog to play with and always reminds me of my lobo.. and how much i miss him.. but the theme is i always will love dogs..
    but if u want best buddie who loves kids, plays and always want to have fun is always a liboro dog.. very very playful just like little kids..

15. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

damn thats hardcore man..

16. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

It is amazing how uneducated some people are about dogs. My husky is also black and white and is the biggest puss in the world, but so many people think the dog is intimidating due to her looks.

I got her from the Atlanta Humane Society about 10 years ago, and she has been pampered ever since.

17. jt money

i take it this was in florida. i hear of stuff like this quite a bit. only normally they shoot the dog after repeated warning to not let it on thier property. doesnt make it right in any sence. sorry bout your dog bro.

18. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

make sure you check with your insurance provider.
    There are several breeds, (Don't know off the top of my head)
    that they either a) won't insure with or b) raise the cost of your insurance.

Otherwise good luck.

19. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

I had a black and gold lab malamute mix, and he lived to be about 10.

He was great with people but was bad news around other dogs. He was an extreme Alpha male and caused problems with other dogs when unsupervised.

He had the thick double layer coat, but he was an inside dog for the most part, but unless it was outrageously hot he was fine outside.

I need to add:

The dog's mother was a white/black malamute and with both their defiance traits it seemed like they were part wolf.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  20. suby113

suby113 Member

Alex if you like huskies try and take a look at an Alaskan Malamue they almost look the same great Dogs.

21. Trey

Trey Active Member

Just remember....big dogs take big poops. ;)

22. jayj713

jayj713 Member

i like cocker spaniels.

23. Alex

I didnt know that until I asked. Well after I made my decision thank you very much :wiggle:

Steve, that's terrible dude!

Chris, I'll send you a PM in a min with some questions.

It is my understand that Huskys are not aggressive and suck as guard dogs. They can be intimindating from appearance but are more than likely notgoing to raise an alarm around strangers as they're more interested in meeting the person.

Pics to come from the woman I may be getting one from in just a min. We can have ourselves a little vote :D

#1 - Female
    [​IMG]

#2 - Male
    [​IMG]

#3 - Male
    [​IMG]

#4 - Male
    [​IMG]

Vote!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2006
  24. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

sweet...work is crazy dead...need something interesting:eek:

25. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

The car business sucks this month.... :(

26. Alex

tell me about it! good god am I bored (hence the doggie search). I sent a few questions to the owner, here's her reply. Seems quite legit.

27. jt money

i say 1 or 4. but their all cute.

28. Alex

1 has so much character in the face. 3 looks like a panda.

29. jt money

i like how 4 looks like he has eyebrows and hes mean muggin.

30. slpymnky

slpymnky Member

From my experiences, female dogs can be hyper. I would go with 2 just because he looks the most like 1 but is a male.

31. jayj713

jayj713 Member

Actually -1 from 4 and +1 to 1 :D Just changed my mind. I like female dogs better.

32. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

I say #1...they are all super cute but I've always owned females dogs personally....is this gonna be the new mascot?....

33. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

What do you want the dog for?
    How active of a dog do you want?

I would stick wtih a female. Most male dogs can be butt heads. Hyper activity usually goes back to the breed and there blood lines.

34. Alex

Maybe :wiggle:

Basically, I am looking for a friendly animal that loves to both be chill and playful. They make good running partners as well. They're smart and can pull their own weight, so when I want something from the fridge it will go and get it for me and bring it back to me via dog sled.

35. lostinthewoods

36. Alex

Yep, Ive read up there and a couple of other sites.

37. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

i want a husky personally but the weather here is bad for them. i might end up getting a great dain or a greyhound.

38. lostinthewoods

Boxers are nice

Wife wants one of those but we have plenty of dogs LOL

Need some kids now :)

39. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Huskys are beautiful but they shed like CRAZY!

40. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Just remember that a puppy soon becomes a dog, and that dog will require daily attention for something like the next 10-20 years. It's a huge responsibility.

41. lostinthewoods

:keke:
    I am with ya slpy.I love the herding breeds. :)
    Aussies and Border collies... hehe...
    our house looks like a ranch with a herd of dogs. :keke:

42. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

Alex, I say #1, but I do not agree with "buying" a dog. I am sure you know thousands of dogs are destroyed everyday and I know you can get a husky from the humane society. Please don't take that the wrong way, but I hate to see the same dog you want being destoyed when it could have been adopted.

43. Alex

I couldnt agree more, if anything the few months to year as a puppy is the most vital stage for taking care of the animal, in terms of johnny on the spotness.

Ah, just got the price tag. Arent purebreds fun. :D

Of course, I am actually going to end up going to the pound. I was playing with Craigslist in my infinite boredom. I found this woman and talked to her about husky's for a while.

I definately want one, and will prob spend a few weeks looking at the AHS to find one. All of the animals Ive owned have come from the AHS as well ;)

44. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i vote 4

45. blink

blink Member

Actually no JT, this was when I lived in VA, he would bury himself in the snow to the point where you could never find him. Coat was so thick snow wouldnt melt when it landed on him.

The #1 dog you posted was the other half of the shooting story, we picked up a second husky (female) red, with blue eyes. She was wilder than he, and was with him during the shooting. She also did not make it back.. my father tried to bring a civil suit against the person, but it failed, for BS reasons.

Thanks Alex, but think really hard on the long term about this dog, it will change everything, going out on the weekends, finding a new place to live, moving to a new city, living in a city. Out of 7 friends I knew in college who bought dogs, 2 still have them.

I know your responsible and smart Alex, and probably one of the few I would trust with a dog. Just throwing some things out to think about, seen too many cool dogs get treated like ass, cause their owners wanted to party.

46. Meredith

Meredith Banned

hmmm why don't you get a project car as a pet..... they spew motor oil instead of poo ;)

47. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

Meredith does have a point....

48. Alex

Well, this is all in the next couple of months (think december). I just signed the lease on the house today and started moving a few smaller things in (subaru rc car is on the fire place). Once I have the usual house amentities settled I will then consider an animal. This does include fencing the backyard and animal proofing the house. Only until then do I feel like I would even consider one. I'm anal about the animals heath and will most likely be adopting from the pound which means hundreds of dollars in shots, etc. Come december, if I feel like my house is a good place to raise an animal then I'll consider it, if not, its just an idea.

Yes I party, yes I go out, yes I have people over. Thank you Stephen, I do appreciate the compliments ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2006
  49. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Alex,
    You might also consider calling around to some of the larger Vets offices. Often, they will help people place animals that they can't care for/decided they don't want. Usually, this means the animal has had all its shots. (My Mom has worked in Vets offices for years, and all the vets she worked for did something like this...)

50. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

I guy that lives in my complex has one the thing is huge. I would only get one if I had a house though. oh yea I picked #2