if you owned your own shop..

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by knhtrdr, Jun 7, 2006.

1. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

What kind of car shop would you open to be different from everybody else, I mean everybody has a rim n tint n radio shop and quite a few engine places. how could you be different from everybody else in Atl.?

2. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

strippers and chicken wings :)

3. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Different?

Well how about when a customer comes in, get your ass to work right away instead of messing around for 20 minutes, doing a little work, taking a break, going to lunch, making some coffee, messing around for another 5 or 10 minutes and then taking 2 hours to finish a 45 minute job because you were more interested in talking about stupid shit than doing your job!

Like most of those shops do. Or, seriously though, show a genuine interest in serving the customer and treat them as though thier time is important.

4. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I think Weapon's suggestion is more realistic. ;)

5. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

if i owned my own shop it would be a speed shop, and i'd steal SS and a few other choice talent and whoop the ever loving shit out of the competition :p

i would only have people who LOVE what that do, and i'd pay them very well. that would be enough differentiation.

that and we'd have beer-firday meetings to discuss issues and improvements.

6. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I researched opening my own shop long and hard, and if there is one thing I'm sure of its that I wont be doing it. There isnt enough money in it. Not enough to pay a good mechanic and tuner what they are worth.

7. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Yeah. Not hitting traffic in Atlanta is probably more realistic too. :hs:

8. scooby_snacks

scooby_snacks Active Member

I'ld have scantily clad women giving free car washes out front.

9. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

what if there were no business & income taxes? Would that simplify your business plans enough, & eliminate having an accountant?

;p

10. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

I'd probably set up some sort of DIY shop with a lot of bays and lifts. People rent out whatever tools they need and pay for lifts by the hour. I'm sure it would be a large liability but I'm sure a lot of guys would be more willing to do big work on their cars if they had easy access to lifts and air tools.

11. west005

west005 Member

^^ Thats what we have on base, but I would likt to own my own shop and have the women washing cars out front too. I wish there was a franchise speed shop.

12. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

Yeah that was the problem my brother ran into with his shop...he did collison/restoration work but he just couldn't find good talent for the money he could afford to drop, so he ended up doing most of the work himself and running the business....didn't last long...

13. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Here is what I would do.

Open a shop that can install performance parts.
    Have a seperate area for Audio and video installation, all electronics.
    Offer a spot in house for full auto detailing.
    Hire a professional to do tint.

At this point all major areas are covered. It is very rare to find a place that can do everything in one place. All the Stereo places I have looked at around here do strictly stereo hookups, all the performance shops do strictly performance. Start a one stop for all car shop.

Now the good part, have another area that has maybe 3 lifts that people can rent by the hour to do the work themselves. If they get stuck with an install, there would be the professionals to help out, but only to help. These lifts are never to be used by the Employees unless they are off the clock and doing an install for themselves or friends.

And of course, there would have to be a 4 wheel Rolling Road Dyno.

Then I would steal SS from SOG, make him the Chief in house Tuner and watch the money come rolling in.

14. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

i did open up a muti shop, everything there is for a car, jdm, usdm, cdm, etc etc .. have everything someone needs and done in half the time..

15. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

I'd have hundred's of computers that had the fastest available internet connection.....and only let them access Nasioc or Wrxatlanta. Think of how much i could make considering all of you guys would be there 24/7

16. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Most shops will build any type of car they all just have the specialty cars that they're very knowledgeable on.

17. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

race gas/meth etc
    strippers
    computers
    video game consoles