ihavefat's project car

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by ihavefat, Nov 29, 2014.

1. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

I talked to Matt about starting a build thread on a car that wasn't a Subaru and he said it is completely fine :).

I've always wanted a project car, but I didn't get serious into searching for one until I "attended" the rally event in the atlanta region. I actually went the night before and after a couple of laps, decided not to run my '07. Met a couple of great people there and decided I will get started on a low budget rally build.

I have looked into many differnt AWD cars (there's A LOT out there like Eagle Talon/E30 325ix/AWD eclipse/etc) and even FWD cars. After about a month or so of searching, I found this baby on CG and purchased it within 2 hours of being posted!

[​IMG]

It's a '85 Fiero. It's a mid engined, RWD. I know there are lots of bodykits out there that can make it look identical to Ferraris and Lambos but I will not be doing any of that haha.

I was helping a friend out with his brake upgrade on his BRZ and got me thinking...the hub pattern is the same as the BRZ on the Fiero, just like the WRX (5x100) so tested fitted one of the rotors:

[​IMG]

I did research for days trying to figure out what to do with the car. The small block v8 swaps are so common. I decided to use the BRZ/FRS/gt86 as a benchmark in building my car. And I will go with an older EJ motor (like EJ25 that most people have recommended). Most likely I will have to convert the Subaru 5spd tranny to 2wd or go with the FWD trannys from older Subaru. Still doing research on this topic.

I am also doing a lot of research on the Subaru engine swaps in the VW Beetles because they are also mid engine/rear engined and they are extensive documentations on how to do the swap. My understanding is that the parts are only getting more expensive for them and it's cheaper and more reliable to do Subaru motor swap. I am also aware that some of the Porsches do the Subaru motor swaps as well.

These are just a COUPLE of links if you want to check it out:
    http://www.build-threads.com/build-threads/subaru-powered-porsche-boxster/
    http://www.aptuned.com/blog/1973-vw-beetle-turbo-with-subaru-wrx-sti-engine.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2wilTC5Cs0

Just lurking on the Fiero forums, the topic has been discussed before. Not just swapping the subaru motor in the car, but also using the WRX drivetrain and what not. All I am looking into doing is a motor swap and most likely transmission swap:

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/087996-2.html
    http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/103588.html

2. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

Took some measurements

I took some ROUGH measurements and it seems like there is more space under the hood (or trunk) than I thought:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and this is the Fiero:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I purposely add a couple of inches just in case. At least in term of space, I think it will fit.

Got started on stripping the body panels:
    [​IMG]

3. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

One of the reasons why I said I wanted to use the BRZ as a benchmark is because my goal with the Fiero is to make it handle as well as the BRZ (or miata) and I would like the car to be confidence inspiring. I am not going to make it run fast qauater miles/or even put wide tires and slap on Hankook Rs3 to grip. I guess I could in the future if I wanted to. But the main goal is to make the car balanced in terms of weight/suspension/chassis in general really.

The car from stock, already has a pretty low center of gravity. I Know Subarus have actually moved the motor and the transmission back towards the center for this very benefit on the BRZ platform compared to the older Subarus.
    Something I am trying to prevent is purchasing the most tight or expensive suspension parts (springs/shocks/swaybars/etc) and calling it a day. I will not tune the suspension too tight because not only will not drive horribly in the streets, but it will actually handle worse. I want it to be somewhat comfortable and practical but definitely stiff enough to be able give the driver confidence in turns and corners.
    Another thing I am doing research is how to distribute weight. I know the BRZ is 50/50 but from researching, 50/50 is not optimal for a couple of reasons. Not saying "BRZ" is bad, I honestly believe it just depends on the platforms. As much as I am using BRZ as a good exmaple, I am merely doing research on the BRZ and miata to learn about what makes them handle the way they do, rather than copying their engineering. Especially with the Fiero being Mid Engined, copying the front engined cars will do no good.

4. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

My first plan of attack is really just stripping down all the body panels to see what I am working with. I know some of these plans sound far fetched but really I am excited to see how far it will go! I know it won't be the fastest or the baddassest but for sure it will have the Subaru rumble and something I will have built myself.
    I ask for the help of the community, instead of trash talking haha.

So far the rust is minimal, especially on the frame. At least in my head, I want to sandblast or just sand the body frame and go over it with POR15.
    I am still doing research on the brakes and seeing if I can use the BRZ calipers/rotors/pads.
    I actually haven't even thought of which color to paint the car but the bodywork is going to be the last thing I do so I will give it some thought haha.

5. b reel

b reel Active Member

need to measure center-line of axle to end of engine and compare the two. sidewalk chalk and a plumb bob on the driveway works

6. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

yeap, most likely will do that when I get the panels off and the engine/transmission out. The car is currently not drivable so all the washing/cleaning/etc is being done in the garage.

Been doing some research on the topic of transmission for days...kind of seem to run into a dead end...

The 5 speed WRX transmission was my first choice for the availability and price. The only issue is it is 4wd and it is designed to be mounted in the front as in front engined car. There are kits out there to make 4wd to 2wd, but still doesn't mean the issue of the transmission basically being mounted backwards with the car being midengined is still there.
    I actually found a company that willl make reverse cut ring& pinion to suit rear mounted engine cars but the kit is about 1.5k-2k.

At this point I am inclined to go with a Porsche transmission...so far my understanding is that transmission from certain models will require little to non modification to fit Subaru engines...like from 944/968

7. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

there is a kit to block off the center diff to use the front diff and axles to power the rear wheels. the transmission still faces forward like a normal drive train you are just deleting the rear end. You will need a shift linkage that extends from the cabin to the back of the car. The 914 guys use this so check there first.

Seems like an interesting build, although expensive. I say go all out with a wrx swap and make it worthwhile. Keep your eye open for a wrecked wrx for under 2k and you will have everything you need minus the custom mounting points.

8. b reel

b reel Active Member

bitch is the Fireball is transverse, don't see an EJ fitting within the confines

9. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

This seems like a money pit, save your funds. I'm not hating, your car is yours. But I can lots of $$$$ involved

10. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

yes I agree. Anything can be done when enough money is involved. Not everything is worth the money involved though.