I'm slow...

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by Superdude, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I'm a little behind of this review, but better late then never...

I want to thank both Top Speed & Forged. Both shops worked together to help me out and they both need recognition. So, thanks to everyone involved.

Back in September I ordered a bunch of parts from Top Speed, thru Decker and company. We talked about needs and what clutch to go with. Also, I was finally going to get my car tuned. So we ordered a Cobb AP and Cobb DP w/cat along with an ACT clutch and whatever else was needed for a 60k service.

The AP got back ordered for close to a month. The day it came in happened to be the same day the official announcement of Scott and team's move to Forged.

I really wanted Scott to do my tune, I'm sure Doug is fantastic at what he does, but I know more about Scott's tuning habits and my goal of keeping my car a daily driver.

My parts were moved to Forge for Scott and the team. I waited until they finished up the open projects at TS and their transition to Forged. After about 2 weeks, Decker calls and tells me they're ready. Only thing is, the night before some jackass kid at Coan Middle School smashed out my passenger window and stole my wallet and watch at my kickball game. The window and the rock used to smash my window, slide down the door and put some really nice, deep scratches in the paint.

My car was in the shop for a week and half. When I finally got my car back, I called Decker again and we scheduled time to bring my car in. The next day my AC started making loud noises. He said they could fix that, too.

Some of you guys might have noticed my car at the dyno day at Forged. I was making chili for Chomp and Stomp that day, my silver WRX was stilling in the back of the lot. She's in some picts from the event :)

Scott called me that Monday I think. I had the stock IC and piping, so to get stronger gains, Scott had some options for me; the best sounding one being a used STi IC with it's piping laying around the shop. :)

So, the clutch was put in, the 60k was done, they installed the DP and the STi IC, fixed the AC compressor clutch and Scott finished with his tune. The very next night, 24 hours and 50min to be exact, some stupid girl not paying attention to what's going on in front of her, smashed into me. I had to stop in the middle of the road because some old man thought the cross-walk was a stop sign. It wasn't bad, but it needed paint.

A week and a half later, I got my car back.

It was a long time from start to finish, but wow, it drives like a new car (with lots of rattles and a freaking stereo that decided to die).

Today I was driving into work, sitting in traffic driving slow thinking how much better my car drives, slow.

All together, my car has a gain of 34.8 WHP. 186.9 was the base line, now it's 221.7 WHP. I'm not too savy at reading dyno charts, so I'll attempt to link the chart Forged sent me, but it looks like the torque is near 250 now. Pls. correct me if I'm wrong.

It drives great. I'm happy with the final out come, I'm glad Forged and Top Speed let ME make the decision on where and who tuned my car. Both shops get a thumbs up for customer service and a big thanks to the guys who did all the work, even fixing my AC :) I could be happier. I can't wait for the next auto-x!

One thing that is different, the turbo really makes a whistling sound as it spools now. It happens mostly at lower RPMs as the boost is starting to build. Is that just because it's getting more cooled air from the IC and larger piping?

[​IMG]

2. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Glad to hear you got everything worked out, and I need to get you drunk again so you'll reveal your secret chili recipe. There's a badass metal show fri night, Torche and Baroness. Look them up and lemme know if they interest you.

That sound is the turbo spooling, its just louder with the new DP and increased boost. Get a turbo inlet and you'll really hear the sucking/wooshing of the turbo under load.

3. Decker@Forged

Decker@Forged Member

Thanks for the review Randy. Give us a call if you need anything else :)

4. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

wow, quite a tale. I'm glad you are pleased with the new set up.

5. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Dude, Torche is AWESOME! Where are they playing?

Hopefully I'll be better competition for you auto-xing this year gotsol...

now, what to do next?

6. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

i have an odd noise in my steering column, i guess. when i turn the wheel from lock to lock, there's' a loud crunching sound and i can feel it in the steering wheel, too. any guesses what it is and what needs to be done? i need to get it fixed before the auto-x season starts.
    thx fellas and chickas...