Intake Requiring tune or no

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by ItsArex, Oct 24, 2014.

1. ItsArex

ItsArex New Member

If installing an intake, do you need a tune for it? From the research, I have done it's been 50/50 of people saying yes and no. I understand the statement,"If you didn't need a tune why would cobb make a map for intakes..." but isn't that just more for utilizing the whole intake for maximum potential? What is everyone's thought?

2. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

Yes. You need to tune with an intake.

3. ItsArex

ItsArex New Member

Is it because of the MAF scaling? From reading, is it because the after market, intake will through it off? A lot of companies have been claiming that you can run it and the ECU will adjust to it.

4. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

but cold air intakes don't do much with a Subaru. You're better off just getting a high performance panel filter and be done with it.

5. ItsArex

ItsArex New Member

I am mixed with a high performance panel filter, A lot of people say the oil will get caught onto the sensor and through a cel. Butttttt.... I only read one thread on that... so take that with a grain of salt.

6. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I ran a panel for 9 years. The same K&N filter. Once a spring I cleaned it with their kit as instructed by the directions. Zero issues.

7. FACE

FACE Active Member

I would suggest staying with the stock intake and a drop in filter no tune required IMO unless your going for 500hp +

And personally I'm not a cold air intake fan...unless you in the dessert where there is no rain

8. FACE

FACE Active Member

Oh and I do not oil the filter I just clean it often.

9. ItsArex

ItsArex New Member

yeah, that's my same opinion, when it comes to CAI. I just, generally, like the sound of a Short Ram intake.... So I just might end up getting a Drop in filter and taking off the milk jug underneath the intake.

10. Holc13WRX

From the research I did when I purchased mine, I found that most people say that wrx/sti ECUs don't adjust to the increased airflow like nissan/ honda ecus do. This can cause you to run extremely lean with the extra airflow. I sure as hell know I wouldn't risk it...

11. ItsArex

ItsArex New Member

Yeah that makes sense. I didn't do research on that part. All the threads, i have read was just arguing about tune or no tune and how cobb released a map for intakes... blah blah blah.

12. Holc13WRX

Plus stage 1 is a great improvement over stock anyways.... Definitely worth getting an AP

I don't know how modded your ride is.... If you already have a protune bc of extensive mods your going to have to get another protune. (To be on the safe side anyways)

13. ItsArex

ItsArex New Member

nah my car is like.... stage 0.25.... lol It has a catback on it... so not really anything. I am waiting to get an AP whenever my warranty is up. But i have been debating on getting a Ecutek or AP.

14. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

also, the same oil used on the panel filters is used on the CAI....unless you get something like the AEM Dry Filter. The problem with oil getting on the MAF sensor usually occurs after the user cleans and re-oils the filter. You just need a light coating of oil.....when oil gets on the maf sensor, it is from over oiling the panel filter after being cleaned. I have run oiled type air filters for 25+ years on MAF and MAP based cars with zero issues.

and yes you should get a tune if going with a CAI. The ECU cannot adjust for the added air flow. Sure you could probably get away without a tune but you increase your chances of running lean and destroying your motor.

15. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Does EcuTek still exist. I would highly suggest going AP. I have an EcuTek tune from about 9 years ago. I would like a retune. But nobody has licenses to tune EcuTek anymore.

16. ItsArex

ItsArex New Member

Yeah, there are some people running it in the 2015 WRX. I haven't seen any tuners for EcuTek in Georgia though.... So it's still up in the air with that whole situation.

17. Matt

they did a complete redesign of their company. They've pretty much mirrored how cobb does it with a device. It's a LOT better than it once was.

18. Matt

TopSpeed does EcuTek. Anyone can. The individual buys the parts now, just like with cobb and an accessport.

19. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Scott probably still can and I know TSM can.

And Ecutek is HUGE in the BRZ right now.