Interesting strategy for increasing your savings income

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by moose, Mar 13, 2006.

1. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

2. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

sounds simple enough.....basically the low start-up of $1,000 a week for a minimum of 4 weeks.......but If I had a couple extra grand hanging around in my bank account I would have a much faster suby I'm afraid....

3. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Heh. When you get to my advanced age you'll start appreciating being able to sleep well at night knowing there's enough $ in the bank that you'll be ok should something happen much more than having a fast car. :)

4. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Oh, how interesting. Thank you :)

5. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Today's auction closed at 4.471% investment rate for 28 day bills. (Up from last week's 4.456%.)
    I'm happy. :)

6. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

That does seem like a good idea I guess. I may want to see how it works out for others though.

7. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Well, it's not like you're risking something on a funky investment; treasury bills are about as safe as you can get--even moreso than banks.

Look at it this way... if yields start going down, all you do is stop investing in them and after 28 days all your money's cycled out and back into your high yield savings/checking account.

It's a win-win. :)

8. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

This week the 28 day closed at 4.681%.

9. gt9729b

gt9729b Member

Did you actually do this? The whole thing just seems a little sketchy to me.

10. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Um, what exactly seems sketchy about buying US government securities?

And yes, I am doing it.

11. gt9729b

gt9729b Member

My apologies, "sketchy" was perhaps not the right word. I'm just always skeptical about things like this (regardless of source - i.e. government bonds). Maybe I should have said something along the lines of "man, I wish I would've known about this a little earlier". I'll start after a few more paychecks give me a little more breathing room.

12. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Well, six months ago this wasn't a particularly good strategy since the yield was down in the 3s. Also, a lot of people don't bother since the actual dollar gains aren't great; if you have $10K sitting in your bank at 2% that's $200/year in interest; if you can squeeze an average of say 4.5% out of treasuries, that's $450/year. Of course, you'd pay both federal and state tax on the $200, but only federal tax on the $450, so that makes a difference too, to the tune of $10-15 or so.

As you can see it's not a get rich quick scheme by any means, but I look at it like this: if I spend 20 minutes setting something up that'll make my money grow a little bit faster it's time well spent. I'm in pretty good financial shape these days but it's taken years of careful research and investing to get to that point though. :)

13. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

4.711% today :)

14. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

4.630% this week.

Learned something too: if you want to reinvest the money immediately, you can have the money return to a C of I account at the treasury. They will clear deposited funds before investing the same day, so your 28 day bill will get put into your C of I account and reinvested in another 28 day bill the very same day... if you link only to an external bank you have to wait until next week since ACH transfers take a couple of days.

15. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

now if only I could mortgage car parts lol

16. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

Thats pretty cool, thanks for the good info moose!