Interstate I-3 will cut thru GA mts.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SilverBullet, Nov 8, 2005.

1. SilverBullet

SilverBullet New Member

I wasn't sure if I should put this in mountain runs or not. It has to do with the mountains, but its not about a run. but I digress.

Alright, a plan is in the works with the Federal Highway Administration to build an interstate highway, called I-3, that would connect Savannah to Augusta to Knoxville through the Southern Appalachian Mountains. :eek3:

Now don't misunderstand, I am all for interstate commerce and ease of traveling but an interstate right thorough the Southern Appalachins would destroy the beauty of the mts. :wtc: Next time you go on a mountain run do you want to see some waffle-house's, cheap motels, mcdonalds and a 4 lane-interstate?? not to mention destruction of what i consider to be one of the most breath-taking parts of this half of the US. If you've ever been to the mountains then you know what I mean and I don't think you want an enormous highway cutting a path through it and drawing more people to the area. The highway will also destory many historical sites. There's a website that explains more. Stop I-3

To stop this we need as many people as possible to write to their senators and federal highway department heads. The info for that can be found at the website above. Thanks for hearing me out. :hs:

2. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I wonder how quickly you'd be able to get to Savannah from Augusta on it... we go down to HH quite a bit and there's no good way to get there. :-(

3. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member

look at it this way, it will be a quick way to get there

4. SilverBullet

SilverBullet New Member

i don't want to come off as mean but can you really sacrifice the best driving area/beautiful park in Georgia just to save some travel time?? maybe i'm just crazy...

5. rolling_trip

i know what you mean, i find myself taking back roads just sometimes to be alone on the road, even if it is an hr out of the way.

6. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

no, i don't think you are crazy... i'm from west virginia & i love the mountains & outdoors. way too many interstates and other developments are killing what little undeveloped land we have.

-drums

7. SilverBullet

SilverBullet New Member

yeah me too. it already takes me an 1:20 just to get away from all the suburban sprawl and to the mountains and you know that an interstate brings all kinds of crap running along the side

8. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

Govt in general is kill off alll all the wild life and scenic areas... leave it at that

9. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

i hate trees..burn em all down

10. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

yeah, i'm sure thats at the top of their agenda, right up there with killing puppies 9_9

11. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

if they design the path well and put proper code/measures in place this may not turn out to be a bad thing, nature is quite the adaptive beast. if they don't, then it will be another shining example of human self importance/indifference.

12. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

It is certainly viable to put something like this in place without destroying everything in its path. There's a new highway construction project going on about a mile from my parents' house back home (Sweden), and it will be passing through the woods and some rather pretty pieces of nature. In order to minimize noise pollution and impact on nature/wildlife, they are actually digging a huge trench to put the road in. I think it'll be around 15-20 feet deep on average. In addition, they're adding crossovers all over the place and doing everything in their power to keep the whole thing as invisible as possible.

Of course, this is considerably more expensive than what's normally being done here; I suppose it boils down to priorities, and $$$$ tends to win out here in the US unfortunately.

Another cool project they are working on is burying ALL power lines in the entire country.

13. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

See, another reason why Scandanavia is smarter than the US. Pretty cool idea if I say so myself.

Regarding the highway, reminds me of North Carolina unfortunately. Lots of great mountain areas torn up by highways passing through.

14. rolling_trip

15. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

not that i care one way or the other... but this petition is meaningless. Yell at the elected officials.