iPhone 3G S

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by FTZ, Jun 17, 2009.

1. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Anyone going out today to buy the new iPhone? Just curious.

2. longfury

longfury Active Member

The new phone doesn't come out till Friday. The new 3.0 firmware comes out today.

I will probably go and see if I can get a new iPhone Friday night on my way home from work but I am not going to try too hard.

3. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

The preorders are scheduled to arrive today.

4. Jake

Jake Active Member

If the battery life is better than my 3G was then I may go buy one. But not any time soon, have to see some first-hand personal experiences with them for at least 6 months, cuz that's about when my battery life started sucking ass.

5. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

[​IMG]

seriously though i got a 1g that does fine for me. its not hooked up and i use it only on wifi. great gadget though. until they branch out and are able to be used on other services i wont get a new one. does this one finally support stereo bluetooth? (my one major gripe with the other i phones)

6. 3.0 supports the stereo bluetooth but idk about with the 2g phone. I have already preordered my 3gS

7. longfury

longfury Active Member

The shipments have been delayed. They are being held for Friday delivery apparently.

Stereo bluetooth works on the iPhone 3G and the 3GS when the new 3.0 firmware is installed.

8. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I have many pixels on my 2G iPhone that are dead, so I was considering getting my parents to sign a new contract and get the 3G for $99. Then making them give me the iPhone.

I am ready to upgrade to the 3G, not the 3G S, but I don't want to pay the $249 employee price, so I need to convince the parents. Shouldn't be too hard of a sell though.

9. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

I've been waiting since 3am for this update! Bastards, I want my update! Dude at apple store says there are 500+ on preorder for the new one! It's going to be nuts..I'm going to do the update for now and see how it goes.

10. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

Im an idiot but whats different about the new phone

11. longfury

longfury Active Member

Faster hardware, new 3mp camera with auto focus and a magnetic compass and the new firmware of course. Video recording and editing on the phone itself as well.

12. Eco Auto Clean

able to capture video, 3.0 megapixel camera, up to 2x faster than the iphone 3g, voice control - voice dial/control music, compass - points you in right direction, like when using google maps, etc...send text videos and more

13. Eco Auto Clean

haha, I new that was going to happen

14. longfury

longfury Active Member

You can do MMS on the 3G iPhone. Its not exclusive to the 3GS. If you have a video already on your phone you can send it via MMS but you can't capture a video and send it with the 3G.

Also, ATT sucks. MMS will not be avilible till later this summer because they are incompetent and can't get things done when they have a 4 month or more notice.

15. Eco Auto Clean

yea but Apple sucks more for not releasing the update yet! Better get it before I go to work!

16. I couldnt get it before work and now im stuck with 2.2.1 until 5!

17. longfury

longfury Active Member

:rofl: It's just 9:30am at Apple HQ. It should be out in the next hour or so.

I already have it btw. :naughty:

18. Eco Auto Clean

may be later than 5 if they don't release 3.0!!! You're not missing anything yet!

19. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Its not really 2x faster. its something like 40%. Alot of the other stuff is software.

20. Well i could have gotten the GM version but i sold mine on ebay to get the new one friday but i cant unlock it without 3.0 and until ultrasnow comes out friday.

21. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Downloading the new version now!!!

22. Eco Auto Clean

ditto

23. Lucky bastards haha. i might go get it at 3 when my coworker gets here and i can take my lunch.

24. Eco Auto Clean

start installing yet? Just trying to figure out how long I'll have to go with no phone..yes...obsessive like that

25. J_P

its installing currently

26. J_P

landscape mode with text messages, about time

27. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

It took me about 30 minutes, but I have always had issues with iPhone updates on my Work PC. This is the first time the update didn't crash my computer and screw my iPhone.

Hell Yeah. Copy and Paste also.

28. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

my itunes wont even sync, awesome

29. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

I've already heard of problems with itunes crashing. Might want to wait till late tonight to update to 3.0

30. J_P

This is a new feature.

This might be unrelated, but I had a hard time synching my phone over the weekend. Had to restart both the phone and computer. It was the first time I had tried to sync with iTunes 8.2. No trouble today though.....yet.

31. Eco Auto Clean

everything went smooth on my update. Texting seems much easier, in landscape and portrait. I do like the copy and paste feature as well. It looks like the majority of us were waiting on that the most. Thought we were getting turn by turn feature on maps? Maybe I read wrong. Either way I use my phone mostly for texting and that seems to be so far so good! - Have yet to see a reason to use the voice memo, but I suppose it could be helpful!

32. longfury

longfury Active Member

I did a full clean install. I still have the back up of my phone before I did that if I want to restore that because I need something from it.

It feels pretty darn snappy but I had not done a full restore of my phone in over a year. So far my original 4gb iPhone seems to be doing fine on it. I do hope to grab a new 3GS this weekend.

33. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

And I'll be passing on the 3gS until at least December because of ATT. I'm not eligible for upgrade pricing, and I can't justify the cost. Glad to hear the 3.0 downloads are getting better. Hopefully they'll be good by the time I get home.

34. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

We just announced that we are revising the Upgrade Eligibility rules to help iPhone 3G users that want to upgrade to a 3G S. If you would be eligible to upgrade as of July, August or September 2009, we will allow you to upgrade as of Friday for the discounted price.

Obviously, this doesn't include you, but they may extend it further in the next couple of weeks. There is also a possibility that a completely new version of the iPhone will come out around the Holiday shopping season though, so maybe it is better that you wait.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  35. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Pass :0

36. the server is down! :O

37. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

so if i picked up a 3g last month, wonder if i could bitch enough to return it for the 3g s?

38. FACE

FACE Active Member

If you bought your 3g after 5-8-09 you can ;) ^^^^

Downloading 3.0 now :wiggle:

39. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

can you enter FAN feature codes for me?

40. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

No, sorry. I don't have access to the billing systems to make any account changes.

41. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

damnit. :(
    trying to get this text messaging one added to my account. I have a FAN acct, I just keep getting weaksoss reps

42. Eco Auto Clean

how do you like it? What phone did you previously have?

43. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

if you're upgrading from the blackberry system with at&t and you're still under contract, is the upgrade pricing available? i'm getting my wife one, but she's on the whole blackberry data whatever. (i use a "disposable" cell phone, i tend to destroy them quickly)

3.0 on my iTouch works just fine. love how easy the copy/paste works. and landscape emails, look out, i can type with a fury now. i wish they improved the iPod functions, however. they still annoy me.

44. Jake

Jake Active Member

no upgrade pricing is only available if you're due for an upgrade. basically if you signed a 2yr contract with at&t you can upgrade your phone a year into that contract. before then you have to pay full retail for it. or do what i do and buy a used one from someone else and just swap sim cards.

45. i had an a 3g iphone lol but i havent played with it much bc i just got back from atl. so far i like it though.

46. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

No, the offer is only for customers who bought an iPhone 3G 6-9 months ago. If you did that with any other device, it is possible if you call in and complain, ask to speak to a supervisor, and mention that you saw the iPhone offer online somewhere, that they may be able to work with you a little bit on an iPhone 3G S, but I can't guarantee it. The offer is strictly for those that bought the 3G and aren't eligible for a discounted phone for a couple more months.

47. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

On a side note, I am not as impressed with the landscape SMS/Email as I thought as of yesterday. Although it is nice being able to tip your phone on the side and get the slightly larger keyboard, you lose almost the entire screen by doing it. You basically get 3 lines to see the message you are typing. I hope the next software update will remove the border in the SMS screen so the body can go up to the edge of the display.

48. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

SOOO tethering. Will they find out? Ive been using my blackjack to tether for years.

49. FACE

FACE Active Member

I believe too that with the 3.0 OS the 1st gen performs better...but a bit slower. And like 420 said the landscape is nice but you do loose a lot of the view.

I have not found much use yet for the soooo awaited cut copy and paste... and the shake to delete thing I didnt even know about untill I found it by mistake one day.

I am still debating on droping the money on the 3gs because how long untill the 4g??? awhile im sure but what am I really getting with the 3gs that is soooo much better than what I have ..... for what I do?