iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by FTZ, Jun 8, 2010.

1. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Who is planning on getting one at the end of the month?

I am going to start saving now. It is about time I upgrade from the iPhone 2G. Now i just need to figure out if I am allowed to transfer my parents account into my name, use their line for the upgrade to get the 32 gb for $299, and then use on my line. I really hope I am allowed to do it and am not breaking any rules.

2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

What rules would that be breaking?

3. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

the rules of over bearing cell phone companies.

All of them are absurd in their policies when it comes to getting devices and at what prices.

4. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

I plan on replacing my iphone with something that can run flash, and is actually customizable to the point I want it to be.

5. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

I am getting :)

6. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

im doing the same thing you are, 420

7. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

That's about the ONLY gripe I have with mine.

8. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Employee policy. I am not supposed to have an iPhone on my company line that I don't pay for. By switching my parents account into my name, I can then get an Employee Rate Plan with contract, and get the phone for a discount. But, since I don't pay for service now anyways, I don't want to pay after, so I would use my parents account for the iPhone Data Plan at 50% off, and just use my SIM in the iPhone.

Checking to make sure I wouldn't be doing anything that could lead to me getting fired.

9. Megadeth2118

Megadeth2118 Member

My 3G iphone contract should be up soon so I may upgrade to the new iphone. I'm debating either the iphone 4 or the droid.

10. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

They'd fire you over that? That's nuts.

Maybe do up your iPhone 4 with Android 2.2?

11. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

iPhone is considered a "Special" device that we are not supposed to have on our employee lines. I think it is stupid in this day an age. The iPhone is no more special than the average BlackBerry, HTC, or Driod device.

12. onemoresti

onemoresti Member

The new iPhone looks pretty nice and I have to admit I'll probably upgrade. It is a little concerning though that the iPhone 4 does not support 4G like some other new phones. I've been playing around with the new HTC EVO though, thing is SUPER FAST...

13. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

nope..but i am a cheap bastard

14. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

So many people don't understand the mobile terminology. There is no such thing as TRUE 4g. It's a marketing gimmick. The bandwidth is still 3g. The 4g that marketing is advertising is truly still 4g......the faster speed is 100% in the better OS that the newer phones are able to run.

Source.....I work in the Telecom industry ;)

15. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

I do a similar thing, as my mother works for AT&T. She's on the main line, I'm the add-a-line so we get the 50% discount. However, we don't get discounts on data and other perks (text, mms, etc), so I just use the texting option and have a work BB for data plan.

Will the new iphone have that push feature so you can sync it up w/ servers and chat clients that will automatically send / receive without butt raping the battery in 20 minutes? That's my biggest gripe...you can d/l gtalk for the BB, not for the iphone.

16. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

I am waiting to see what the next wave of Android phones are, and maybe (maybe) wait for WinMo7

17. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

18. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Good question, and unfortunately I do not know, and am not allowed to know. iPhone is considered an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) project. Up until yesterday, the person on my team that develops the iPhone product could not even confirm if there was a new iPhone coming out, which we all knew already, but because of how secretive Apple is, all details about it have to be kept under wraps until Apple announces, or just prior to launch.

19. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

I will have a new one as soon as they come out.

20. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Quoted for truth.

21. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

4g is in reference to WiMax and LTE. Evo can do 4g. 4g wont matter till AT-LEAST 2012

22. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

hrm...I'll have to keep an eye on this topic, then. Let me know if you find out. I think the iphone's are great personal phones, but i need the full keyboard layout on the BB so i can (*hides under rock*) continue to email clients while on the road...it's nice being able to type on a phone you don' thave to look at, it's just like typing on a keyboard

23. Matt

my question is...

when is apple going to ditch the current data port for the microUSB? They signed an agreement 2 years ago (along with LG, Samsung, HTC, etc) stating they would go to the standard by 2012...granted they still have a year and a half, but....

probably the iphone 5

24. sharif@forged

sharif@forged Member

I'm preordering mine on June 15th. Looks like a compelling upgrade. Apple's interface and marketing is what sells it's devices. The technology is so-so and nothing to get excited over. There are phones with much better technology, but lack the awesome apple user interface.

25. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Apple's touchscreen continues to be much better than any of the others. I've toyed with a few others and the touchscreen sucks. My iPhone is seamless. It has it's Pros and it's Cons.....just like all the others.

26. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

And the current 4G/Wimax/LTE sucks...I have been trying to use it for almost a year and it is super fast when it works, the only problem is you can hardly ever get a good signal with it.

27. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ Got to try out my co-workers EVO yesterday and today... Not sure if its the 4G or the EVO's new hardware, but web pages were almost instant.. Much faster than my OC'd Droid... Don't know what has more bearing on speed, but the EVO is def. fast as balls...

28. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Or they will offer an adapter that converts their proprietary plug, thus giving them another source to increase revenues.

I have to say I was extremely disappointed yesterday with the Developers Call. I was really hoping that Jobs would have mentioned Foxconn, and hinted that Apple was looking for a new company to outsource production to after all the bad publicity that is currently coming to light in the Gadget Blogs.

29. onemoresti

onemoresti Member

I believe it's the processor that makes it soooo fast, not the 4g capability. Just like if you have a slow computer, it doesn't really matter how fast your internet connection is...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  30. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

if I have two lines under my name for a family member, would it I be eligible to get two iphones?

I like the extra battery volume, however I have no idea how much power the new chip will be using.

31. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I see your point.... but.. as it sits now, my Droid at 1.1Ghz beats the EVO in three different benchmark tests (Linpack, Neocore, Quadrant) by about 30%... But, in a real world test(surfing), the EVO seemed noticably quicker. So there is more in play here...

32. Matt

a true 1ghz processor is going to be better than some overclocked processor.

33. Jake

Jake Active Member

you can't look at it like that. see in retail, hot commodity goods are seen as exactly that. therefore why sell them to employees at a discount when they can get FULL MARKUP to a regular customer. by selling one to you not only are they losing money on your transaction, but that is one less phone they have to sell at full price during the frenzy. so they see it as, 'you just stole money from our bottom line' or 'by selling this to you, you are taking a customer's phone'

34. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Emps can buy them. just cant use them as their main company line.

35. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Question on phone providers. We know AT&T is going to a tiered data plan for new users. Verizon is to follow I believe. What about Sprint? Will they still provide unlimited data?

36. Matt

Verizon 'started' it, but it's with the LTE technology.

Sprint prolly will...

37. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

the CEO of sprint came out and said they will NOT be following and implementing tired plants

38. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

39. longfury

longfury Active Member

Good, now they need to get coverage out here. I don't want to be roaming on other carriers networks for 10 miles in every direction from my house. I am less than 15-20(10-15 miles) mins from Cartersville, Adairsville, Calhoun and Canton.

40. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

i Doubt wimax will catch on. Clear wire/Sprint only said they will stick to it at least till 2012.

41. Matt

AFAIK, by them signing the agreement, their devices must have the port, not an adapter.

but, who knows what they'll do...

42. Trey

Trey Active Member

I personally think Apple keeping with AT&T will eventually lead to it's downfall in terms of "gotta have it" device. Other US carriers already have Android devices and IMO is just as cool and as the iPhone with the one exception, number of apps....which will change. Once the iphone is available to all, will it make any real difference? I've had both and don't see a real need to own an iPhone again. My incredible is...well...incredible. :p The EVO is even better than the incredible, has a front facing camera, 3G-4G, HDMI 720p video out, 8MP camera. You can "jailbreak (root)" an android device as well.

43. Trey

Trey Active Member

44. sharif@forged

sharif@forged Member

But the Droids always seem to have one flaw. For instance, the new Droid Incredible is supposed to be the creme de la creme of Droid phones but is totally impossible to read in moderate or bright sunlight.

45. Trey

Trey Active Member

I had the Clear 4G service at my home for a week and it was flat out fast (had to put the router in my attic) but the 2-year contract was a huge turn off so I cancelled it. Another factor was reading all the horrible reviews at Clearwire/ Clear sucks .com LOL

http://clearwiresucks.com/blog/

46. Trey

Trey Active Member

Is that a Android issue or a device issue? ;)

The screen tech on the Incredble may not be the same for others, dunno for sure but that's the beauty of the android OS, it's everywhere on many things, soon to be on your Home TV too.

47. Trey

Trey Active Member

2G, 3G and 4G all use different technologies and yield more data bandwidth = faster downloads. Reference Material

Sprint/ Clear 4G is WiMax (available today), their 3G is currently EV-DO Rev. A CDMA. 2G is 1xRTT

Verizon 4G is LTE (not available yet), 3G is currently EV-DO Rev. A CDMA, 2G is 1XRTT

AT&T 4G is LTE (not available yet), 3G is HSDPA/ UTMS. 2G is GSM/ GPRS/ EDGE

I'm a Telecom Manager. ;)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  48. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

how much is it to cancel the new iphone 4 plan should i decided i don't want to commit for 2 years?

49. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

150-200

50. Matt

I have ZERO issues with my Incredible in the sun..

:cool: