It can't get more metal than this

Discussion in 'Music' started by moose, Dec 10, 2006.

1. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

2. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Good old Dimmu. They put on a killer live show.

3. legacy05gt

legacy05gt Member

I thought you were gonna post a DethKlok episode

4. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

shouldnt have watched that before bed... nightmares :O

jk..

Rock On
    [​IMG]

5. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

yup..thats metal..nice rack also

6. Deke

Deke Active Member

haha wow. That was indeed metal. What are these people like on a normal day? :)

My main complaint with almost all metal is the vocals. I mean, I wasn't even sure if it was in english until the other guy started actually singing. All the metal/screamo just sounds awful as soon as the singer opens his mouth. And I'm sorry for grouping those, but you have to admit, the vocals sound the same. I thought the music itself was pretty cool though. A little more intense than I usually listen to, but you've got to love that double bass pedal.

7. GTscoob

Dewey, I've gotta disagree with you. There are so many different vocal styles for screaming, there's the whiny screamo, the shreaking black metal, barking hardcore, deep growls for death metal. I cant do any of them but metal is great.

8. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

This is true about the screams...but Dimmu borguir sp? is more like shock rock. It's just too goth for me to take seriously...i'll give him credit when he slowly morphs his voice into some wicked deep growls, but for the majority of it just sounds like a frog. Though it does sound a little better with the strings, trumpets and synth in the song...that just pushes it farther away from the metal genre. But that's just personal preference.

Trumpets and make-up do not equal metal

Though there is no doubt that they'd put on a hell of a show...bands like that typically do.

This is just my opinion and in all seriousness...to each their own!

9. GTscoob

Come on, its symphonic death metal. You cant have a symphony without an orchestra.

10. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

Symphonic death metal...that appears to be an oxymoron. But it's cool, everyone has there own tastes. I mean some people like Hanson. Lol, jk. NO ONE DOES.

11. Deke

Deke Active Member

Eh, I guess I just don't like monotone screaming over the course of a song. I mean, sure not everyone can do it, but I give a lot more respect to frontmen who actually just plain out have a good voice. Not to neccesarily put down the monotone screaming, just not at all my thing.

As for the orchestral music, I think applied in the right way, it can definitely add to music. The best example I have (and though I don't think the majority of you would consider this metal) but Metallica's S&M. I thought it did an excellent job at balance the rock with the symphony.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  12. GTscoob

^^ Nice open minded response. If you want to hear some really insane vocals, procure the song "Siberian Kiss" by Glassjaw. Their singer is one of the most talented vocalists in the scene, sounds like Incubus's singer to a degree but can scream so wild the rest of the time.

13. Deke

Deke Active Member

Haha that was pretty insane. I think the thing I'm most impressed is that their throats have the durability to sing like that for more than 30 seconds. I mean I have a rather booming voice (I'm one of those guys that is I yell something at a football game, the 5 rows in front of me all turn around to look) but I couldn't imagine maintaining that level of ferocity for a whole song.

Now my vocal challenge to you is to check the song "Summergirl" by the Mayfield Four. The vocals are pretty chill (but still good) until the last minute or so, and then Myles Kennedy (the current lead singer of Alterbridge) just unleashes the instrument that is his voice. It's not metal at all, just wanted to establish a reference point of what comes to my mind when I think of insane vocalist :)

14. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

Glassjaw is some crazy s**t, from what i've heard.

But like you said, if you start adding orchestral accompaniments to what was originally metal, it's great for a new sound...but in the end less metal. Like dilluting it with water. Also, alot of people I know have very strong opinions about singing of any kind in metal...saying that it has the same effect...less metal, or not even metal any more. I disagree with that. I think the singer should absolutely be able to pull off not only primal screams but do some decent singing as well, or at least singing of some kind. And that's typically (but not entirely) the kind of metal and metalcore I listen to. Stuff with good musical chorus' like Killswitch engage or As I lay dying, but on the other side with next to no singing at all Slayer, Lamb of god, and Unearth. But even those bands are critized for being too soft or only hardcore (excluding slayer). But everyone has there own style that they attach to, and that, in the end, is what is great about all music. (except country....ohhhhhhh! Burn!)

15. GTscoob

Good to see another metalhead on here. I'll have to start posting up g2gs for the metal shows that I go to. Keegan, if you're on Importatlanta there are a couple of metalheads on there always uploading new CDs, its where I get most of my new stuff since I'm not keeping up with the underground like I used to.

Metalcore is probably my favorite of the metal subgenres; As I Lay Dying, Darkest Hour, Still Remains, old Hopesfall, old Underoath, are my favs. I'm sure I left off a lot of goodies. Glassjaw too but they're not very metal.

16. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

Nice...haven't heard of Darkest Hour, but I will look them up. I am on import atlanta under the same name but never post...any particular threads I should check out?

17. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

If you guys are talking about copyrighted music, you might want to take it offline (and nuke/edit the posts).

18. GTscoob

I'm getting it legally through Tech's Ruckus account that they paid for. Downloading illegally is bad, mmk?

19. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I thought by the thread title it was going to be something about "Metalocalypse", which is sweet if you guys haven't seen it......