IxizShift

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by crashtke, Sep 5, 2006.

1. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

Ok so a review and install for WRX owners. Sorry no pictures at this time, but it really is easy.

10mm socket and wrench
    12mm socket and wrench
    Dremel or some form of grinder
    Flathead screwdriver

Start by opening your mini armrest compartment. E-brake should be up all the way (not insane, but UP) Inside, on either side of the button to release the hatch for the compartment are little clips that you can't see from topside. I suggest gently inserting a rag covered flat head screwdriver. Leverage up a bit and this piece will pop up. Once it does, finih pulling it up around the edged then grab where that piece joins with the piece bracketing the shifter and again lift up. It will just pop up. There are no screws or anything holding it in place. Unscrew the shifter knob. Leverage the shifter piece up from the rear and slide it out. This whole assembly will just lift off. The armrest piece is connected to the power mirror button (and in mine my alarm light). You can leave it in place.

Follow the Ixizshift instructions from here until time to put it back in...

One thing you will have to do is remove the metal plate surrounding the shifter. Easy, 4 10 mm bolts and it is off. The top left hand side of the bracket (drierside towards the firewall portion) will have to be ground down. I had to take quite a bit out of it and even had to have off some of the material surrounding the bolt that sticks up (you will see what I am talking about when you do it) Test fit it and try shifting a couple of times (start car to make this easier). See if you have removed enough. If not, go back and take off a bit more. I had to. During the test fit process I put the shifter back in using some well placed blows from a RUBBER hammer. Make sure you have the shifter turned the right direction, lol. (yeah I bolted it back up wrong the first time) Once you have enough material haved out, reassemble following the directions and take it for a spin.

As for the review. It really is a nice piece for a good price. The Ixizclick mod did not work at all for me. I think the stickers got stuck to the wax paper they came on and would not adhere to anything. I did not worry about it and assembled it back anyway. I was kinda doubtful about a modified stock shifter making a big difference, but it really does! Not only that, but unlike some short throw shifters I have owned where it made the stick 2x shorter and you really had to reach for the stick to shift, Ixizshift retains about stock height and just reduces the throw. 1-4 are very nice, 5th is about the same throw...not sure why, just my observation. But, in all reality how often are you really going to need a quick 4-5 shift???

For the money ($60 after I get my refund) you really CAN'T complain at all! This thing makes the throw shorter and you can tell when you are in gear a bit better. Next comes the Kartboy bushings!

2. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

Im glad you got it in and very happy you liked the Short throw. BTW stock shipped is 30% reduction if you want it shorter it can be as short as 40% .

My experience has only been with the 92x so my instructions are not exact for the WRX.

The bushings has to be oil free in order for the ixizclick to adhere. but i can give you new ones when i see you next for the Core exchange. The Ixizclick is a freebie but it does work. The one on the bolt is not necessary but the one on the bushing helps a bit. You may not need kartboy bushings after the ixizclick (and its freeeeeeee)

A lot of aftermarket Short shifters do not really change the shifter much but tricks the user that he is actually short shifting by making the shifter shorter. Their throw arc is shorter but you will need more effort to move from 1 pt to the other. IxizShift throw arcs are actually longer and therefore less effort and the distance between your steering and the shifter is closer = faster shifts. And retain the OEM feel - damping the vibration and fit cant be any better than OEM

Glad you are happy

3. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Sounds good!

Your observation seems in line with my STI short shifter when compared to stock WRX shifters. 1-4 seem really tight vertically and horizontally when moving from gear to gear but 5 seems way out to the side.

4. crashtke

BTW there were no instructions for adjusting it...I assume it has something to do with the nut at the base, but I did not mess with it.

5. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

Yes to increase increase the ratio (reduce the throw) you need to loosen the lock nut and extend the gold part. One full turn is about 3% reduction in throw.

Make sure you use a torque wrench or do not overtigten the pivot bolt. That is probably why you have a slight binding or difficulty when shifting. Torque is 12 NM

6. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

AKA 100 lbs-in. :)

7. crashtke

ok, does this require taking it back out or is it something that can be done with it still in place? When you say one full turn, do you mean one turn of the lock nut or does the shifter actually have to turn? Not really getting what you are talking about....What is the max amount of adjustment? Since it started at 30% I was thinking 36 or so would be about right.

8. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

Yes its easiest to take out the shifter. But can be done without but its an extra 5 min to take it out since you have done it before.

NO the lock nut is just there for protection
    Ill show you when i meet up with you this week.

Loosen the locknut = turn it away from the gold part.
    Turn the gold part = away from the locknut for reduce in throw (make a mark on the gold part so you know when to start and finish). It is currently slightly tight because it has a drop of paint on the threads to prevent loosening but its not lock tite.
    Retighten the lock nut.
    Check if the pin on the ball is still in the same position should be at 3-9 oclcock (preferred). can use that as your position marker as well

About 4 turns then you risk running low on realestate and the angle of the pivot is getting sharp. If you need a custom (longer/shorter) just let me know i can change that

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006