JIC's are in, the car is incredible!

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by Alex, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Alright, so the JICs are finally in, and my how they are amazing Before I continue, my previous suspension setup served me well in every situation I threw at it. My STi is my daily, and I live in downtown Atlanta. I can tell you a thing or two about potholes, lol.

Previously on the car I’ve had…
    • Whiteline Flatouts (TopSpeed)
    • Two sets of Grp-N top hats (had a slight problem tearing the fronts )
    • Whiteline 27-29MM FSB
    • Whiteline 22-24-26mm RSB
    • Whiteline SRB
    • And a few destroyed endlinks.

This setup was, hands down, the best I have driven, rode, etc when it comes to STi’s on springs. The Flatouts gave the car one hell of a drop as well.

However, I wanted more. With my recent introduction into Road Courses, I wanted to expand the possibilities, as well as the limits, of the car to accommodate a few new future hobbies. The next logical step I felt was to move to coilovers. I knew what I wanted, waited for a good price and finally picked up a set of JICs FLT-A2's about 8 months ago. My schedule was slammed, I had zero time to install these and set it all up. We (WRXatlanta) had an install day recently which allowed me the opportunity to put these on the car. I had a buddy set them up (I'm knew to the coilover world) and we were amazed when we had the car on the rack to be corner-balanced...only 1 lb

While in the air, we found a few things. For instance, I had destroyed the front left endlink (SoG was out of stock of course) the previous weekend. Our goal was to get -1.4° in the rear with minimal toe (0.02°). With the stock bolts in the back, we saw nothing over -.5° no matter how we tried to push it out. We turned to some Intrax bolts to see if they could help solve the problem. Bam, next thing we know, we’re looking at well over -2.1° in the rear. We were able to get the camber in the rear we wanted and moved to the front. We wanted somewhere around -1.8° to -1.9° front with the coilovers set in a street position. Obviously, auto-x, track, etc, full tilt will be around -3°+ or so We were able to get -1.8° with ease in the front.

WOW. The first test ride was incredible. My tires are nearly dead (A+ for dry traction ), and they thoroughly enjoyed the thrashing we threw at them. We were taking Scott's signature round-a-bout and were consistently running out of road to push the car. The grip is phenomenal! I highly recommend this setup to anyone who is interested in pursuing auto-x and or weekend track events but still uses their car as their daily. I'll see if I can snag some pictures soon. We dropped the car so that the laterals were the appropriate degree. We were looking for a car to compare it with, and the car sits just a smidge lower than the height as if it were on prodrive’s springs.

Big thanks to Scott for all his help and Alex for hanging out all day.

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2006
  2. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

Awesome, glad to hear you love em! Look forward to the pics.

3. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

+1 for that guy that set the coilovers up, he must be amazing :bigthumb: :keke:

i can atest this, the car is incredibly flat and grips tighter than milo to his cup :D ;) :p

4. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

dayum, you are just a handling-upgrade fool these days ;)

glad to hear it all went well.

5. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

chop chop chop .. pics :)

6. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

I call BS.

7. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

hahahahahhahahahahahahahah

8. Alex

neg.

However, to be more accurate, its tighter than Emol's grip on Kris when he's over. :eek3:

I suppose you could say that.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2006
  9. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

I want a ride to see how those guys handle. How was riding around on full stiff?

10. Alex

Everyone who's been in the car has complained if that tells you anything :rolleyes:

11. Trey

Trey Active Member

What are the spring rates?

12. jason

jason Member

There 7/5. (Although they fill a lot stiffer)

I know this because I was there when the first owner purchased them.

Alex, I’m glad you’re finally putting them to good use.

13. Alex

Yes 7/5 for the majority of street driving I do during my daily. The full stiff is entirely too stiff for street use, its obvious. Its not meant to take the bumps and such. I'll be setting it down to about half way when I get the chance to get under there.

14. Trey

Trey Active Member

Cool, I have the same set. Thinking about getting 8k springs for the front and moving the 7k ones to the rear. The rear rolls alot under hard cornering.

15. Brian

Brian Active Member

Hey Alex, I'd like a demo ride myself. I'm undecided still on which coilovers to get. I'd really like separate comp/reboud settings but those are a bit $$$. If the single adjustment can get me close enough though...

16. Alex

Yeah man, I was looking at your garage the other day and noticed that. I havent had a chance to notice the rears rollnig, but I'd like to hear more about it sometime. What's been your likes and dislikes in the time you have owned them? Still satisified?

Sure thing man! We'll see what we can do.

17. Trey

Trey Active Member

I like them alot. Just make sure to check your adjustable pillow mounts in the front once a month. I corded a tire because the plate loosened up and went all the way negative and I never noticed. :doh:

18. Alex

:bigthumb: Haha, I'll have to remember that. Are you at all still interested in helping me port my wastegate?

19. Trey

Trey Active Member

Sure. Once you get the exhaust side off of course. :p

20. Alex

Np ;) I can pull it and bring it over or something sometime. When's good for you ?

21. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i hope it isnt cracked like the other eleventy billion out there

22. Trey

Trey Active Member

Again, there has been no proof that a hairline crack causes any performance loss. :D

Deadbolt didn't prove anything with that thread, other than, yes some do get a hairline crack.

The dyno numbers are still there. ;)

23. Trey

Trey Active Member

I'm free on Sundays. Just give me an idea when you want to do it and I'll come over with the dremel.

Are you sure you need it ported? Does it have creep?

24. Alex

Yeah, I have serious creep. Its horrible.

25. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

yes i agree that the crack has no proven performance loss... however i have heard that it makes it hard, if not impossible, to port it if cracked... dont know how much truth there is in that

26. Trey

Trey Active Member

Probably not much since you only shave on the corner for like less than 10 sec. :p

Just enough to radius the sharp edge.