Just bought a Civic, need advice

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SonicBoom, Apr 12, 2012.

1. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

My girl totalled her Camry a few weeks back... Luckily, the settlement check was enough for us to get something decent. We bought a 2004 Honda Civic with 66,000 miles for $7200. Carfax was clean, but there was obviously damage I could see since the rear bumper was replaced and doesn't fit 100%. Other than that, the car was 100% clean, engine bay was spotless, interior is perfect, new tires, runs great etc...
    I think going by the mileage per year on the carfax, that the owner let it sit for long periods of time, and that it wasn't drivin much. I need to know what kind of things I should check/do to it. I was thinking some new fluids and a tune up... Just not really sure because 66k is barely break in miles for that car, just don't know how long its been sitting... Please advise...

2. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

66000 miles for '04 civic is low. If you don't here any unusual noises, then you're ok. However, I would definitely change the oil, flush the radiator, and if its a manual id go ahead and change the transmission fluid. Also, check the brakes (rotors, pads, fluid) when u get a chance, better safe than sorry. Cleaning or changing the air filter won't hurt either. Other than that you should be good, its a Honda

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  3. Jake

Jake Active Member

What he said, regular oil changes and checking of wear items will give you 300+k miles

4. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Only had it for a few days... but no noises or any signs of trouble. Dealer changed the oil the day I got it (he said, I have to check the dipstick). Was def gonna do the radiater fluid and panel filter. Brakes seem strong and aren't squeeking, but wouldn't hurt to take a peek at them.... Agreed that 66K is really low for that car, but as I said, I'm just concerned its been sitting for a long time...

5. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

doesn't mean it sat...they could have had a minimal commute to work and that's helped keep the miles off. I wouldn't be concerned about that

6. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Well, it def sat on the lot for a long time... Checked the tires 1st thing, they were all at 20 psi.

7. onemoresti

onemoresti Member

Is it an EX or LX?

Let me know if you need anything looked at, or if you need parts. I work up at HMOG in Buford and I have a decent collection of Honda parts;)

BTW 04's are due for Timing Belt Service........just saying:coolugh:

8. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Is that based on mileage or years?

9. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Not sure of the model... The trunk was replaced and has no emblems.. Its very base model though, no power anything, no frills. As Sparta asked, is the timing belt needed even though it only has 66k miles? I wouldn't think that would be due for a long time... I might take you up on your offer, I'd like a mechanic to check everything out for me. I don't know what it needs, to be honest. Runs great, brakes seem strong... But it's used, so who knows.... What is HMOG? (Honda Mall of GA?)...

10. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

You bought a car and dont even know the model of the car.... lol

Just do a regular tune up. 60k is to low for timing belt.

11. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ Lol... All indications point to it being a base model.. Just a plain ole Civic.... Smartypants.. What difference does it make...

12. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Difference.. to me? none. :argue:

13. onemoresti

onemoresti Member

The timing belt is "recommended" to be replaced at 105,000 miles or 7 years.

A base model or DX will have crank windows, no power anything. LX has power windows. EX has sunroof and ABS woohoo.

and yeah, Honda Mall of GA

14. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I know man.. just joking... Going by ^^^, its a DX...