just detailed my car

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by emstraumajunke, Aug 25, 2005.

1. well i just spent about 4 hrs washing and waxing my car. Ive been reading alot about the Meguiars clay bar and figured id try it. Well i have to say after using the clay bar and then the NXT wax it has to be some pretty good stuff.. well worth the 4 hrs i spent on the outside and of course used the NXT interior stuff. Just figured il let yall know this is some pretty good stuff even thought it cost close to 40$ for the interor claybar and wax. I think the car has never been this shinny and clean.

2. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

ive heard real good stuff about clay bar... i saw a friend's car after he had clay bar'd it and it looked like it was made of glass

3. YEa i like it i dont think itll be an ever month thing but it did a good job i think i might do my moms acar cause her paint in bad condition and see how it pans out

4. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

what's the clay bar? i've heard it mentioned but i know nothing about it

-drums

5. to be honest with you it reminds me of plydoh but you get the detailer spray and the clay bar together and wet with the spary as you rub the clay bar on the car and it takes all the bad stuff off your paint. im real bad at explaing how it works. But you can get it at most auto parts places.

6. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

cool thanks!!

-drums

7. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Looks like a mirror eh?

8. yep nice and shiney and smooth and it just rained damn the weather

9. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Pics?

10. Im waiting on my g/f to send me the cable for my camera i left it in her car and she went back to florida. once i get that ill post pics.

11. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

i love meguiars they kick ass, i think the "bad stuff" is the oxidization of the paint. several meguiars products do an excellent job at taking it out (and even scratches on the paint).

12. after time comtaminants stick to the paint that regular washing doesn't remove. when you use the clay bar the softness of the clay grabs them and the stickiness pulls them away. the spray you use when claying provides lubrication so removed particles dont scratch the paint, and so the clay can move freely over the surface. It feels and sounds like the clay is scratching the car when you do it though.

after you clay it will dull the surface alot, so you have to follow up with wax immediately, or it will look horrible.

13. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Yeah, Claybar is used to removed stuff like tar and sap. it remvoes all wax so you definitely have to apply a good coat or 2 of wax. I claybared my car last time I was in PA, worked great, but I agree, i don't think it would ever be an every month thing, unless you get alot of sap on your car regularly.

14. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

hmm I guess I'll add a claybar to my list of things to do to my car when I get it back soon.

I've always wanted to try it and I know my paint will need it (and a bazillion alternating coats of Meg's #7 and NXT)

15. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

Sorry for the threadjack...

i use Meguiars car wash and NXT wax & i'm gonna try the clay bar too... i was just wondering what other waxes are good to use in addition to these???

-drums

16. IMO nothing beats Meguiars but thats me. ive use several differnt brands i just like the way Meguiars comes out.

17. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

think of a Clayb bar application as Dishsoap carwashing, only much better. it pulls up bad wax and other contaminates and allows you to treat the surface.

use clabar immediately after washing your car, then follow with something like a polish or meguiars easy to use 1-2-3 system

18. i was gonna post the picsture but tis to big and i cant get it sized down enough.

19. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

if u want u can email it to me (if its small enough to email) and i'll try to post it for u