Just got my uppipe installed

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Suby1128, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

at Mahdavi. All I can say is I can't stop doing this : :D . Engine sounds nice, love how the turbo is spooling faster, but there's some noise from 4,500 to around 6500 rpm. its sorta like clicking, but it's discreet. Could that be a leak, or will it be the turbo spooling? I'm still a n00b lol

2. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

is it like a swishing sound?

3. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

no it doesn't sound like a turbo spooling up, it's like a real rapid click click click, and it sounds like its coming from the general area of the uppipe/turbo. but it doesn't happen when I hit the gas in neutral, just pulling in 2nd or higher

4. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

does it increase with speed? or is it just related to rpm? ur turbo won't produce much boost in neutral or 1st so if its just making the sound in 2nd or higher, it must be related to to something in the airflow path... im not a mechanic so i won't talk outa my ass... hopefully some of the more experienced members have an idea

something similar happened with me on the interstate on friday... i heard a real wierd repetitive sound... so i pulled over to look but everything seemed fine... got back on the road and the noise was gone :confused:

5. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Wastegate opening and closing?

That would be my guess. I could hear my wastegate really well in my car. Right around that same range too.

6. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

took the car for a 'spirited' drive today and the noise is gone, now I just need to find some free afternoon so I can reset the ECU.

7. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

disconnect the battery... hold down the brake for 10 sec or so... reconnect the battery... takes a few minutes

8. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

What was the total cost? Knowledge wanted 375 for uppipe/downpipe install. Seems high....

9. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

but after that I need some open roads so I can reprogram it.

total cost was $142.80 for just the Uppipe, Uppipe + downpipe would have been $200.00.

10. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i think it reprograms over 4-5 days of daily driving...

11. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

o ok, well in that case that sucks, because I have to drive to school in traffic :crying:

12. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

there's some post on NASIOC from Shiv at Vishnu Tuning about the best way to get your ECU to up the hp after a reset. I think there's another good tutorial on Scoobymods.com

What I always do is just reset the ECU and then drive how you normally would and then the ECU will program itself accordingly.