Just got tuned...

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by andy251203, Jul 10, 2007.

1. andy251203

andy251203 Member

Well, I just got back from Batlground, and Scott managed to get 280 whp out of my VF34/STi pinks/STi TMIC. Believe it or not, it was getting 269 whp out of the OTS map!! Scott found that highly unusual. The biggest improvement was the +25 ft/lbs of torque in the low range. Now the car has more get up and go.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the tune, but I'm kinda disappointed... I keep telling myself that I should have added meth injection. This is probably all I'm gonna do to this car power-wise. I'll probably enjoy it for another year, then put my sights on getting an STi. :naughty:

By the way, if you haven't been to Batlground, it's a really cool place. Some of the cars over there are awesome! They actually have a real JDM Silvia K's that isn't a conversion from a 240!

Scott: If you see this, please feel free to post a picture of the dyno graph. I dunno if you still have access to this or not...

2. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

Cool!

Tracy

3. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Awesome, so whats next?

4. ARNOLDWRX

ARNOLDWRX Member

sounds great man!!!
    don`t do anything else with the car, just enjoy it and save your money for an sti.
    there are so many mods you will need to do to just get to a slightly moded sti.

i know! i wish some would have told my that before i started on my 02 buyeye which just got a big fmic & a db 20g.

5. techlord

techlord Active Member

already got most of the change sunk...go ahead and get the meth you should slap down similar #'s to what I got but spool just a tad better than me. VF39 here and SS got 306.314 @ 22.63psi

6. andy251203

andy251203 Member

Yea, I could do meth, but with tuning, that's gonna cost another $1000 for 25 more horses. I just got those KW's... and I wanna get my suspension done. My parents are starting to get concerned that I'm dumping too much $$$ into the car, so after I get the suspension done, I'll probably just enjoy it as is...and start saving for an STi!

Every time I look back at what I've done to my car, and the amount of time and money I've invested, I always regret not getting the STi right off the bat. It's amazing (and I'm sure there have been many others who experienced this) how everything is wrong in the WRX, and how everything is right in the STi. From the better engine internals and heads, to the entire driveline, you wonder how you got suckered into buying the thing in the first place! And I'm not dissing the WRX at all. It's still faster than most four door compact sedans on the road, (at least modded). It's just that whole mentality of "If only I had gotten the STi instead...I would have saved myself a lot of money."

I still don't regret getting my car though. I've had it now for just over 2 years. When I first got it, I was clueless about cars. I didn't even know what the hell "Horizontally opposed engine" or "Dual overhead cams" meant. I just liked it from using it a lot in Gran Turismo 3! But after learning about upgrading it, and about how everything works in it, and doing all of the work myself, (except a little SOG maintenance) I look back and pat myself on the back for coming so far.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  7. techlord

techlord Active Member

yup I there with ya. I did not know you did not have suspension yet so yeah get on that. I am addicted to meth and like running more boost.

8. ARNOLDWRX

ARNOLDWRX Member

so with all that said. don`t do anything else to it!!!
    just ask ss about me he will tell how much money and time i have dumped into mine.
    sti is the way to go. the 1-3k you are about to spend on suspension could have been put toward the down payment on the sti.
    plus a moded sti will resell much faster & high than the wrx.
    and then the parents will think you are doing something right if they see you are not putting money in the suby, but they would not know you are saving for a sti monster.
    think about it

9. techlord

techlord Active Member

yeah wish I had started with the STI. Oh wait, NO I like the bugeye.
    I will have the 2.5 someday though.

10. ARNOLDWRX

ARNOLDWRX Member

i am going to sell my bugeye!!!
    i just put a big bar & plate fmic, & a db td06 20g.
    just have to tune it. it has a refreashed 2.5 short block, paper work to prove it.
    only maybe 5-10 miles on the build.
    i have to take my own advice, sell the bugeye & find a silver 05 sti
    SUBARU NATION!!!

11. andy251203

andy251203 Member

But even with a 2.5 shortblock, it's still nowhere close to being an STi, unless you opt for a longblock. But even then, you won't get the STi's famous AVCS unless you redo the wiring harness and get a new ECU...

My point is, when I was clueless, I thought how similar the cars must be, since they look alike (save for the big ass wing). And that "I'll just upgrade mine to make it as fast as the STi." But then you learn that there's nothing in common with the two cars.

12. andy251203

andy251203 Member

Well, if I do ever sell mine, I'll probably part it out to make most of that suspension money back, anyways. Swaybars and coilovers tend to hold their resell value pretty well.

Oh, and get an 06 STi, even if you hate the looks. Steering angle sensor FTW

13. ARNOLDWRX

ARNOLDWRX Member

that works. i wish you the best of luck.
    just make sure you stay in the suby family.