just installed STI side cowls

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by feelthebreak, May 15, 2009.

1. feelthebreak

feelthebreak Member

i have had these sitting around in my basement forever. put them on today. here are the pics... you can tell how much better they are the crappy stock stamped steel...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

Nice! Make a DIY. Never seen this one done.

3. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

noticeable difference in handling?

4. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I've had this sitting around for over a year LOL

5. feelthebreak

feelthebreak Member

you can't tell a difference behind the wheel, but i can flex the oem piece in my hands. so you be the judge...

6. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

i heard aftermarket fender cowls make a HUGE difference, such as paranoid fabrications.

7. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

1. Remove fender
    2. Remove stock brace
    3. Replace w/ new brace.
    4. Replace fender.
    5. Repeat on other side.

;)

8. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I have never driven a setup with these, but I fail to understanding how this makes even a marginal improvement.

9. feelthebreak

feelthebreak Member

if you do install this make sure you have some of those cheap plastic black clips, you have to pull the front bumper and remove the headlights too. ive got about 6 of those clips to replace that broke. plus i found rust on the welds you can see in the picture, car has always been garaged.

10. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

very noticeable difference
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  11. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

12. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Aye, but their explanation isnt exactly all that explanatory.

13. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

Wow! Now with these step by step directions I think I can do this! Thanks Matt! :fawk:

14. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

15. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

are these the 07 cowl peices ?

16. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I have the TiC ones afaik. when I take my fender in to get painted here pretty soon I'll go ahead and throw them on

17. Slowsoul

Slowsoul Member

They further reinforce the unibody by tying the engine bay to the cabin...anything that helps to keep it from twisting is good.

18. Koolaid

Koolaid Member

how much more horsepower at the wheels?

19. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Alex I thought the same thing. Then had a buddy make some. Tried to install at my house and could not get clearance for my hand. So I drove home with one off the car and the other stock one on. I took the turn fairly hard onto my road like I always do and next thing I know I'm understeering onto the shoulder. It makes a difference.

20. FACE

FACE Active Member

Humm sounds like a great bang for the buck...

21. techlord

techlord Active Member

I can see it's use, I took the stock one's off the banana and put on the coupe.
    Ped said his buddy has a bolt in cage and it made a huge improvement on body twist.

22. dundunskeert

dundunskeert Member

23. dundunskeert

dundunskeert Member

Installed them today.
    They definitely make a difference.
    [​IMG]

24. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

I have a set I'm waiting on I got through a group buy. I'm excited! I hear they help a lot. But then, that's what they said about my rear strut tower bar... and all that does is get in the way.