Just ordered my clutch!

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by sol drums, Oct 27, 2005.

1. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

After much thought and online research... I ordered the ACT Street Disc Clutch Kit for WRX from World One. Should recieve it on Wednesday!

Now if I get it on Wed. that leaves me with 3 nights to install before the mtn. run!!! :wiggle:

Anyone willing to help with the install??

-drums

Last edited: Oct 27, 2005
  2. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

not try to discourage you but I turn all kinds of wrenches. the last thing I'd want to do is install a clutch on my back in a garage.

You may want to serriously consider paying some one to install it. It should only take an experienced shop w/ tools like 6 hours or less. It could take you three days possibly.

3. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

good deal on the clutch brett. HOpe you can get it installed :)

4. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

if you are gonna do it in your back yard, the best way would be to take the tranny out. that way you can make sure you get everything aligned properly and you can get everything torqued down. But thats IF you try it yourself. Id have to agree w/gotsol and say id pay someone to do it!

5. Ive done a complete transmission drop and reinstall with clutch me and a friend of mien did the whole thing in about 6 from start to finish with no power tools. Just make sure you have an extra set of hands and pay attention to what goes where and get 4 jack stands that will get the car at least 20" inchs in the air and and good jack. the hardest part is lining up the transmission. weve had to do it 3 times on my car. so we kinda got it down to an art. if you have any question feel free to ask. Like i said you can do it if you have knowledge of working on cars more then changeing the oil. but it is a pain. If i lived in Atl i would help ya but im in missishitty. Oh yea to get the tranny back in try to have you and 2 others itll make it easier to do. BUt if you have any question feel free to ask. If you need help right away feel free to give me a call.
    Lord knows i wont be busy got to find a stock ECU for my car. my number is 228-860-5732. Good luck if you decided to do the install.

6. Genya

Genya No Longer Up At Odd Hours

Hows the clutch workin out?

7. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

still waiting for it to come in the mail :rolleyes:

8. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

snail mail. :(

9. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

Ouch!!
    I was wondering how the install went.
    Sorry to hear that you've not got the clutch yet

10. socrates42

socrates42 Member

dude, its a project and a half. my advice, having done two, drain your tranny fluid before and replace it with some new stuff after the install, it saves you a couple of pounds when trying to bench press the transmission back into place.

11. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

well after much delay i finally got a tracking # on my clutch. should be here on friday.

esmtraumajunke, thanks for the advice i'll give ya call soon.

socrates42, thanks. i may try that tranny fluid cocktail that was talked about on here eariler.

if anyone wants to stop by and watch or give moral support, that would be great. i'll post up when i plan on doing the install later. i also plan on doing a write up afterwards for anyone interested in doing this.

12. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

post up... i dunno if i'll be much help but time permitting, i'll come hang out

13. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

SWEEET...I'd definitely like to read up on that....good luck bro, if you do it on a saturday I'd come though and lend a hand, probably not any help mechanically but always good to have an extra set of hands when doing installs!!! ;)

14. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

Hey Brett,

I can help if needed...

Mark

15. socrates42

socrates42 Member

if i am in town, ill lend a hand

16. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

Well i finally recieved my clutch in the mail on monday.

I'm not gonna start the install until saturday or sunday, with the thanksgiving holidays and all. Gonna try and remove everything except the tranny before my roomate gets back on sunday. Then monday evening have him (he's a hell of a lot stronger than me) help with the tranny and clutch.

If anyone is interested in hanging out or helping just pm me and i'll give ya directions to my place.

oh.. and emstraumajunkie, i'm still gonna call ya

17. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I'd be more than happy to lend a hand on Sunday if you are still working on it. Probably not much help wrenching, but I can lend some really good moral support.

18. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i can help finish all ur beer... and offer moral support also

19. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

thanks guys, i'll call ya

20. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

Brett, I will be here in GA after all, so I can definitely lend a hand and hang out. Shoot me a PM with directions.

Mark

21. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

well i started on it friday eve and took the IC and starter off. Then jacked the car up (thanks kris) and started again on saturday until i need a 11mm hexbolt.

now i'm off to get that and start wrenching away. so far it hasn't been a hassle, the PDF subaru manuals are perfect. it also helps to have a garage and another car to drive so i can take my time on this.

22. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

update... i have reached my first roadblock. i can't get the front driveshafts from the tranny. also i can't disconnect the propeller shaft.

i'm sooooo close. these are the last steps before dropping the tranny.

23. Did you get the axles out and the drive shaft off?

24. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

woohoo!! the tranny is out!

going to get my flywheel resurfaced tomorrow... then putting the new clutch and tranny back on tomorrow night!!!

and yeah... the clutch was toast!

25. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

im getting mine replaced on thursday

26. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

what's the matter to afraid to do it yourself??? wuz

j/k... what clutch did you end up going with?

27. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

was going with act but the vendor kept having issues... first fedex lost it and then his supplies were delayed (or so he says)... on monday he told me that he had exedy in stock and he could overnight it to me... it should come in today.... ended up costing me $395 for the kit

28. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

good price!

29. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

w/ labor?...from where?...j/w

30. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

just the kit... from god on nasioc

31. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

The car is fixed! It's taken me a while, but it's done and the clutch is great. Not as bad as i thought it would be. Stiff but not super stiff. Engages smooth, no crazy noise or vibration. To honest i'm just so glad that it's fixed and i'm driving my baby again!!!!!!!

Huge thanks to everyone who helped me, either by lending me tools or helping with the labor!!!! Thank you Ped, Kris, Moose & Brian.. also Bob @ SoG!!! I couldn't have got it done with out you, many thanks!! :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: