King@SOK

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by WRXCoupe, Mar 18, 2009.

1. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

After installing coil overs, big thanks to Liquid Force(Mike). Limped the car to GTE for an alignment, since I heard they corner balance. They do not, for at least street applications. Great customer service though. Left GTE but car felt not so good. Had to go to SOK for parts. Had Stephen look at it while I was there. He agreed car was definitely within spec's, but sloppy. Coil overs were not lined up to camber plates @ 0. Alignment was done from the top down. Ride height was off in the rear. Took it back to SOK next day. Stephen got surgical with all spec's and re-did ride height all four corners. Absolutely huge difference, major improvement. Installed big sways today very fair price.

Car is a totally different animal. Massive improvement from stock!

Dealership as a whole is excellent! Took me in with short notice. Didn't fuss about bringing in my own parts, or hanging out in the shop for a minute.

2. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

They usually don't set ride height when they do an alignment. What were the specs like when the car left GTE

3. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

dont remember exactly what the specs were but front camber i think was like -0.9 and -1.0 also the top plates were not zeroed. looked like they just knocked one side of the top plate in to adjust a tad instead of adjusting from strut camber bolt first (lazy) did not match and toe was not zeroed. i think toe was like +-.2 on either side. looked like whoever did the alignment just rushed through it.

4. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Yea they mentioned they were not going to mess with ride height more than trying to equal it out, but the back was dragging ass bad when I left. The specs when I left GTE were Front: LF: -0.9 Cm, 3.4 Cs, .03in toe, RF: -1.0 Cm, 3.9 Cs, .04in toe,
    FrCross Cm 0.2, FrCross Cs -0.5 Total toe .06.

Rear: LR: -1.6 Cm, .02 toe, RR: -1.3 Cm, .02 toe, RrCrossCm -.03, RrTotal Toe .04 Thrust angle -0.01

Not sure about the ride height measurements

5. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Specs after SOK

Front: LF Cm -1.0, Cs 3.0, Toe -0.02, RF Cm -1.1, 3.3 Cs, Toe 0.02 Cross Cm 0.1
    Cross Cs -0.4 Total Toe 0.00
    Rear: LR Cm -1.3, Toe 0.00, RR Cm -1.3 Toe -0.02 Total Toe-0.02 Thrust Angle 0.01

Ride height massive improvement, had to re-align after height adjustment anyway. Top plates zeroed!

6. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

That's a good street setup.

What do you mean by "top plates zeroed!"?

SOK seems to be one of the best places around to get work done... Anyone have some info to debate this?! I can't find anything bad about them...

7. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Based on my limited knowledge and what I learned, I believe that you adjust the strut assembly from the camber bolt until the struts line up to 0 camber on the plate. This ensures that both strut assemblies have symmetry prior to tuning the suspension. Obviously you can "cut corners" and use the camber plate. The question is do you want an in spec alignment with two strut assemblies at different angles, or do you want symmetry and a good alignment. I am sure it is a subtle difference, but I would assume for equal wear and tear especially with coil overs you would want symmetry and then a good alignment. I felt this was also true with ride height.

The truth of the matter is, some shops assume if you are not that knowledgeable that you are stupid. You could be ignorant or stupid. Ignorance or lack of knowledge can be easily over-come by asking questions especially, if you feel something is not right. Stupidity is when you assume all is well even though it doesn't seem right, because someone told you it was OK. If you start asking questions and they tell you forgedaboutit, it's fine and rush you out chances are it is not OK. King is a "stand up guy" and will always give you straight up info. SOK backs him up and does not question him. They also provide you with excellent customer service. You may pay a little more but you will get it done right the first time and understand what's going on. I just learned this again. I might as well have given the $160 I paid for the initial alignment to the Special Olympics as a charitable donation.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  8. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

$160 at GTE? Holy Shiza. Sucks you ended up paying for another one at SOK, and they installed your swap bars too?

9. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

jeebus....every alignment I've ever had done at GTE was $90. wtf happened to yours?

That AND they checked/set the ride height to appropriate levels.

10. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Good Lord...Did you talk to Kieran? Man my ass hurts just thinking about how bad you got raped.

11. longfury

longfury Active Member

How much is an alignment at SoK? I have hit some nasty pot holes and such and I am thinking about having mine checked.

12. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Alignment at SOK is something like $95.

13. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

They charged me $100 for alignment and $65 for ride height. I don't have the time or energy to fuss about it. They did even out each corner based on height but they did not adjust it for ride quality. They simply leveled it. Honestly I thought Kieren was real cool guy and he did not do the work, so I can't really blame him. I guess when a shop gets "gassed up" about their reputation and has plenty of business they may focus more or the elite customer and not the "average Joe". I am sure if I was part of a race team, or private venture preparing my car for track time at AMS they would have probably even thrown in a prostate massage free of charge.

I guess you should take my experience for what it is. My initial reason for going there was that everyone here raved about it and I thought I could get corner balanced. Even Stephen ironically recommended them since SoK does not corner balance. Once I was told they didn't, I figured they were most likely reputable enough to give me a damn good alignment. They failed.

From now on unless I find a place that corner balances I will take it to SoK since Stephen (only person their who has worked on my car), believes in making sure the work is done right, at least from my experience. Although they won't massage your prostrate they will give you a mighty decent car wash free of charge if you want. ;)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  14. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

TopSpeed does corner balancing if my memory servers correctly.

I'm sorry you had the experience you did. From my recollection, it's not like GTE to do that to anyone. They treat all their customers the same way.

15. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I have a HARD time believing GTE did this. also, they will tell shops and some teams to pack sand if they want preferential treatment and are trying to squeeze out their customer base.

if anything talk to Kieran and he will make it right

16. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

They did it and despite that, I agree that Kieran seems like a straight up guy. Problem is he answers the phone about half the time. I experienced this when I was making the initial appointment. I spoke to three different people, three different stories spoke to him last and he clarified the services they provide and made the appointment. Anyway I called the next day after my alignment and was briskly notified buy a tech there that "this weekend(referring to last weekend), is the first weekend of Atlanta Motor Speedway we have two lots of race cars that need to be finished we can't look at your car until next week". I politely told him I understood and simply wanted a call back from the tech who worked on my car so he could explain a few things to me, left my name and number. I also stated I realized they're busy and he could get back to me any time during the day. Never got a call back. Again Kieran did not take that call and if you have anyone there picking up the phone then those individuals are representing the company as well, providing customer service or lack there of. Bottom line I ain't going back, I am sure they have plenty of loyal devoted customers so they most likely won't give a flying fuck what I do. That is the beauty of capitalism, they don't have a monopoly on alignment. There are plenty of good shops out there and my experience with SoK was a good one. If for some reason you don't believe it was a sloppy job I am sure Stephen will back me up on that. That is why I got an expert opinion prior to moving forwards because I am currently unemployed and don't have shit load of money lying around to test out different alignment shops. I also don't have time to be dicking around disputing this or that and the fuck if I am bringing my car back to a bunch of tech's who are now pissed at me because I questioned their work. You know how it works man! Stephen straitened my car out prior to me driving around and possibly damaging brand new coil overs in the rear. I am giving SoK credit because they did what GTE did not do for me end of story.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  17. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

WRXcoupe, I have to agree with you here somewhat. I have my tires I ordered through GTE sitting there since last Thursday because GTE was too busy to get to my car thursday after 6 or all day Friday. Kieren told me, drop off your car and maybe I can get to it, but AMS is keeping up too busy.

However, i'm pretty sure AMS was decided a while ago to be that weekend and so when i ordered the tires from GTE, Kieren could have told me I won't be able to install it till weekend after. But that wasn't the case and I was told, sure, we'll install it when the tires get here and you can bring your car in.

So right now, I'm debating with myself if I should just go pick up the tires and have SOK put them on and align and balance my car instead of GTE.

18. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Well I am a little bias right now so wrong person to ask, but GTE obviously has a good reputation for a reason. Alot of folks here are happy with them so my situation may have been an isolated one. They also work on track cars........
    On the other hand I know when Stephen works on my car he doing his all to hook it up right and I like that, he also treats it like his own! If you have any other concerns he can give your car a once over at the same time make sure your good.

The 3rd benefit is you can test drive an 09 while your waiting! LOL

19. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Well i called Kieren and apparently another SCCA event is taking place this weekend he's too busy to fit me in. So I'm going to pick up my tires and Steven already knows I'm coming tomorrow afternoon for my work to get done.

Last time I deal with GTE.

And I may have to test drive an 09. ;)

20. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

:rofl: shitty. guess they are busy for a reason

21. longfury

longfury Active Member

09 WRX or STI? :naughty: I have driven both and both are a big step up from the previous generation. The 09 WRX is an animal screaming for a tune and a bigger IC. I wouldn't test drive them if I was you. You might end up trading. :rofl:

22. FACE

FACE Active Member

I'll be seeing King tomorrow for an engine light that came on :unamused:

23. longfury

longfury Active Member

Have you had the code pulled yet? Car running ok? I hope it is nothing serious.

24. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Damn WTF :eek4:

25. Biggis

Biggis Member

:wavey:

26. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

Unscrew your gas cap, then screw it back on and make sure it clicks several times. #1 cause of CEL. good luck

27. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

What is WRONG with you? How do you keep breaking Subarus? Just get a damn Forester non-turbo because you can't keep a turbo car from blowing up on you.

28. FACE

FACE Active Member

don't jinks me to! The fuel tank pressure threw a code for the second time and King is having to order one. Not a wasted trip though, Having the oil changed.

Satisfying visit :)

29. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

I wasn't far off, at least your car has fresh blood. 