Krhyme's 99 Impreza (Raven)

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by KrhymeFox, May 5, 2014.

1. KrhymeFox

KrhymeFox Member

Alright, I've had this car for a little while now and can say that I've fallen in love with the thing.

I've grown up attached to the looks and power of the Imprezas and have always wanted one since driving it in Gran Turismo. that game has let me drive my drive cars for the longest time now. My other love as you might have guessed from my introductory post is the Opel GT. I grew up in the passenger seat of one of those. Anyway, back to the Subaru world. i had been looking for one on and off for a few months and was sucked into my other passion of riding a motorcycle. All the Imprezas that I came across were either a wagon or way out of my price range. Eventually, time got the better of me and I lost the bike in a accident. Being as it was my only mode of transportation, I decided I needed something more weather friendly. While being drawn to Awd systems from driving an Audi and just liking them in general. I came back across the Impreza and decided what better time to get one then now?

So, I began the search, after spending multiple weeks and searching at least 7 different states I found my car, now affectionately named Raven, in TN. I took over ten hours round trip but I got her home. The car itself didn't have any rust but time and the fact that it was sitting on and off for a while had worn a few of the parts. The paint needs a new clearcoat thanks to the sun and the leather in some of the seats had dried out and torn.

Pictures from the ad:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/selfpity43
    /00n0n_lzx68SrHWjd_600x450_zps5f0ea447.jpg

And now my picture:
    [​IMG]

The car had a glaring problem when I bought it, the headlight housings were a little messed up. I figured it was a cheap fix so I ordered a new set of the black ones. Another problem arose after I drove the car for a while, the crank pulley. I'd heard that the rubber between the two pieces was prone to wear so I ordered a new one. I figured why go with another part that was going to wear when there are upgrades so I went with the Grimmspeed aluminum one.

[​IMG]

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I'll never understand Subaru and they're interiors.. a black car should have had a black (or grey) interior, period. But instead they put in that hideous brown/tan/khaki crap..

Anyway. hopefully it's a project you'll continue to enjoy and will learn much about the cars both by wrenching on it as well as information from here. :)

3. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Nice yet another RS. You gonna swap this one out like everyone else is doing?

It used to be WRX/STi galore here but the RS is making a comeback it seems. I'd love to do a full swap and DD one but my focus is elsewhere at the moment.

4. KrhymeFox

KrhymeFox Member

I agree a grey or black interior would make this car so much better, I suppose over time I can change it to the other color, it doesn't bother me that much as it is. Frankly, I'm just glad to have the car.

I've learned a good bit from both here and the NASIOC, and I'm glad I joined.

It actually isn't a RS, it's just the L. I'll probably leave the motor in there and just make improvements on it. It has the EJ22 2.2L. I was considering changing the hood and spoiler to a WRX style one.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  5. b reel

b reel Active Member

WRX brakes will bolt up but you'll need to swap the rear hubs and the brake bias for rear discs. Hold out for a set of 4-pot/2-pot calipers and step up in rim size. Also might be best to swap over the subframes to WRX versions to take advantage of the cheaper prices and ease of finding parts... and the inevitable swap

6. liltoua

liltoua Member

Congrats!!!! If you are interested I have the stock black front/rear seats and the Coupe spoiler off my 98 that I will practically give to you for free if you want them lol.

7. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Yeah but I consider them all the same thing if it's gonna be swapped. But nothing wrong with keeping the motor the same. Enjoy the car!

8. b reel

b reel Active Member

if you do anything swap the hood for a JDM Al hood. Maybe ChrisW can chime in about a motor swap to a NA 2.5. I think he did this with his wagon and it was pretty much a direct swap or easier than most.

9. b reel

b reel Active Member

And I just painted my bugeye dash beige in the coupe, even did a gloss coat so I wouldn't have to Amorall it. :wtc:

10. KrhymeFox

KrhymeFox Member

I wasn't really planning on touching any of the subframes, they work perfect right now and the handling is on point. Is swapping them something everyone does? I haven't felt the need seeing as I've been able to run down a few mustangs and even a corvette or two in the mounatins. The brakes on the other hand might get an upgrade, always good to be able to stop.

PM SENT! I'd love to see them.

I was thinking about swapping the hood but would rather go with the carbon fiber ones that are available, and it seems like it'd be easier and cheaper to just add some upgrades to the motor that is in there. It's pretty peppy for a daily as it sits. It has the 2.2L and I'm not sure how much I'd gain from swapping the motor to the 2.5L, besides maybe an increase in available upgrades. I'd rather leave it alone then start something I can't finish.

11. b reel

b reel Active Member

LOL if you think it handles well now, get some real suspension under the skin. If using carbon, use some sort of thermal protection under hood side. It will cook off the clear coat faster than the sun. I swear the ChiCom CC is nothing more than Elmers glue watered down to spray on with a Wagner airless spray gun.

12. KrhymeFox

KrhymeFox Member

Well here's a video of the crank pulley, I'd say it's time to replace it. haha :eek:hnoes:
    http://youtu.be/St-0N69Xc5w

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.

13. b reel

b reel Active Member

Nice thing is you can swap everything over driveline wise from a WRX/STI without swapping the motor. Parts will sometimes be cheaper and more prevalent. Nothing wrong with the 2.2L for what it is but the 2.5 gives it a touch more bottom end torque which is sorely needed. Food for thought is you can buy a complete rear subframe dressed fairly cheap.

14. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Nice find. At least swap it to manual. The JDM aluminum hood barrel is mentioning is probably lighter than carbon hoods on the market.

I will have a rear h6 brake setup available soon. One of the cheapest rear brake upgrades you can do and def a good way to ditch the rear drums

A 2.5 bottom end will bump up your tq just a bit, would def be more fun. Your ej22 isn't the same as the more desired closed deck ej22t

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  15. impreza

impreza Member

nice car i have always liked the gc8's

16. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

Fs thread coming soon...

17. impreza

impreza Member

Why are you getting rid of it? You don't like it.

18. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

Talking about you...

19. impreza

impreza Member

Oh .

20. KrhymeFox

KrhymeFox Member

I've fixed the first thing on this car, the headlights. The old ones were essentially useless and only good if you wanted to go birdwatching at night. The new ones. Look great on the car, and next up is that pesty crankshaft pulley.
    [​IMG]

Hmm, it's definitely some food for thought and the extra torque would always come in handy.

I believe it'd have to be the turbo version to have the closed deck that is more desirable. I'll also look into aluminum hoods and see what they have. As for the transmission, call me strange, but I actually prefer to have the auto in it. I'll also keep an eye out for the brakes when they come up.

Thank you

You sure can call it, can't you?

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  21. b reel

b reel Active Member

22. KrhymeFox

KrhymeFox Member

So, I managed to figure out the crank pulley. All thanks to Brandon at Allpro because those guys are awesome, but sadly the wobble took off some of my keyway. Looks like I'll be needing a bit more than I thought I would. :wtc:

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  23. b reel

b reel Active Member

24. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Super cheap and easy to do an ej25 swap/hybrid depending on if you're MAP or MAF. Check your engine code on your vin plate under the hood and I'll tell you everything you need to make it happen. Look at where your exhaust manifold bolts to the head, is it single or dual port?

25. KrhymeFox

KrhymeFox Member

You're starting to get my attention and after finding out it needs a new camshaft as well as a timing belt kit change. I'm not the richest person though, haha. I'm not sure how much more the swap would cost. And I'll check under the hood tomorrow for that information.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  26. Matt

99 was MAF...at least for the 2.5. not sure about the 2.2.

27. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

from what Ive been reading 1/2 of the 99 2.2s were MAF and the other 1/2 were MAP. Engine code will tell.

28. KrhymeFox

KrhymeFox Member

I'm not sure where the engine code is, to be honest. This is the first boxer I've ever owned.

The only numbers I found besides a "22" on the top of the motor.
    [​IMG]

29. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Check here: http://www.catherineandken.co.uk/sti/wrx.html

Those codes wont match yours, but it'll tell you where your vin plate is. You cant miss it, drivers side under the hood, above the side fender near the strut tower.

30. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Another easy way to tell would be to look for a Mass airflow sensor :rofl:

31. Matt

Is there something in particular he's looking for on the plate? Wouldn't it be easier just to look for a MAF tube? :p

32. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

yeah, I tend to over-think these things ;)

33. KrhymeFox

KrhymeFox Member

Okay, I feel stupid. on all the other cars I've ever been around it's on the passenger's side or in the door jamb. I've got the engine code.

EJ223AX1VB
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  34. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

With gaskets and fluids, you could probably do the entire thing for under $300. You should probably do the clutch and throw out bearing while you have it out, but its not a must for a budget swap.

EJ25d/251 block ($150 at pullapart, comes with manifolds/fuel/harness/alt/ps/ac for that price)
    EJ22 heads/manifolds/fuel/harness/alt/ps/ac (you already have)
    gaskets ($100?)
    oil/coolant/misc ($50?)

You could do this start to finish one weekend if you had a cherry picker, no wire merging required. It would be even cheaper if you just took the shortblock from the junkyard, but then you wouldnt have a backup alternator or PS pump.

35. KrhymeFox

KrhymeFox Member

Too bad of a price, too bad I don't have a place to use a cherry picker. Tried using the engine hoist and it sunk into the ground I'm a little weary about a junkyard block though.

36. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

I've used multiple on different cars, you just have to look for the right donor.

37. KrhymeFox

KrhymeFox Member

I'd need someone to help look, I wonder if allpro has any blocks.

38. b reel

b reel Active Member

car-part.com or just ride around on an off day and hit the local yards, I got a EJ255 fully dressed with turbo for $750 and it had only 36K on the clock. Cash money on beer day does wonders when dealing with yards.

39. KrhymeFox

KrhymeFox Member

Definitely worth looking into. I'm not too sure about throwing a turbo at it yet. It never said you replied though. I wonder why.

In other news, liltoua helped me throw a good bit of a new interior in my car. Here's proof that you can fit an extra Impreza interior in a Impreza. Seating for ten please. I'll probably have it in before noon tomorrow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

40. KrhymeFox

KrhymeFox Member

I had it in early, but decided to do a good bit of driving on top of the errands I had. I just need the door cards and some other pieces. These seats look so much better, albeit dirty. Anyway, here it is.
    [​IMG]

41. b reel

b reel Active Member

Lost, what?

42. KrhymeFox

KrhymeFox Member

I had a run on sentence there, sorry.

What I was saying was that the few times I had checked it never changed off of me having the last reply. Which is why it took a while for me to reply.

I'm not sure I'm even going to put a turbo onto the car. Right now I'm just using it as a daily and I've been putting much of the money for performance into the GT. I'd honestly rather supercharge than turbo it.

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  43. KrhymeFox

KrhymeFox Member

out of curiousity. I had heard that the 99 and up Subarus had an option for keyless entry. Does anyone know the best way to check if my car as this or should I tear down the lower section of the dash and just start hunting?

44. Matt

There was a module under the dash. I don't remember what it looked like. my 99 RS didn't have it. I did get an alarm installed though.

45. KrhymeFox

KrhymeFox Member

Seems like it's hit or miss then. I'll check for one when I finally get to that part of the interior. Thanks.

I ask because I've had a universal remote sitting around here and I can't use it on the opel so I figured why not find out.

46. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  47. KrhymeFox

KrhymeFox Member

Messaged him but I'm too broke right now. :|

Best stuff shows up when I have no money, It's bill week.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  48. b reel

b reel Active Member

just keep it NA, you'll be much happier

49. KrhymeFox

KrhymeFox Member

It's been a while, and I've made an appearance or two. I need to ask for a favor though. I've been trying to find a part number for a piece on my coupe. I've come up dry and can't find a part number nor what it is officially called.

What I have found is a different style of seatbelt adjuster as I've been calling it, not the one I need.
    http://subaruparts.com/parts/1999/SU...agramCallOut=2
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-Subaru-IM...1b5094&vxp=mtr

What I need is the part number or souce/name for this:
    The piece that connects to the pillar and the the piece that extends forward.
    [​IMG]

50. KrhymeFox

KrhymeFox Member

okay, so I have another question. On a 2.5rs spoiler how exactly are the studs mounted? I've seen pictures of the stud having a square back and some others are saying that it is epoxy that holds it in place, does anyone on here know?

ps, if you also might know the answer to the seat belt adjuster question I'd really appreciate it.