Lightroom Users Post Up!

Discussion in 'Art & Photography' started by BelvnAWD, Mar 31, 2009.

1. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Okay, so Moose's thread got a few responses from those using Adobe Lightroom. Post up if you are using it and how. I generally use Presets to get close to the look I want and then tweak from there. I have not played with the local adjustment brush all that much as I just upgraded to LR2. Here are a few pics that I would have had to play with in Elements for a much longer time than it took in LR...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

sweet pics bro!!

3. I love lightroom Im still trying to figure out all the in and outs to it, but by far much more user friendly and work flow friendly then photoshop.

4. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I use LR most of the time, though RAW conversion from the 1Ds2 can be done better in some other packages. 99% of the time LR is good enough though.

Here's my basic workflow:

1) Import the images from the card
    2) Using the arrow keys and numbers 1-5 I go through and quickly rate the images (1 = crap, out of focus; 2 = not a good shot, might be usable at some point; 3 = ok, can be used, 4 = very good, 5 is very rare for me -- I think I have all of six images in my library with that rating).
    3) I select all the 1 rated ones and kill them
    4) I then filter to show only ones rated 3 and above
    5) I go through them again and re-rate some lower (they disappear from the view if I rate lower than 3)
    6) I do some rough tweaking, like WB adjustment and exposure adjustment. It's handy to have the copy/paste feature so I can make a WB adjustment to one shot and then apply it to an entire group of shots.
    7) Now I go through and perform a fine tuning of exposure, black point, tweak the curves to bump contrast when needed, maybe apply a little light NR if shot at 1600 or higher.
    8) This leaves me with a subset of basically decent shots from the initial load. From here one each image is unique and cropping, color, desaturation etc is applied as needed.

5. I also like the idea that I can make minor tweaks to one photo and sync it to other photos and it will make all the minor adjustment as well. Keeps the works flow to a minimum which is always a plus when I do a wedding and have 400+ photos

6. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

I was missing this step. GREAT idea and something simple that I should have been doing. Gotta lurv the interwebs...

7. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

They don't really advertise the keyboard shortcuts very well, but man, it makes life easier.

Also, I recommend Martin Evening's book on Lightroom 2 -- excellent read. Around $40 or so at the local stores.

Example of a mildly post processed shot (desaturation, cropping, exposure, black point, curves, some burning):

[​IMG]

8. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I am an avid LR user, I absolutely love the program. Moose, your idea for rating is great, I'll definitely start using that one :) I just completed a product shoot and ended up with over 1500 photos -- the rating really would have saved me time :unamused:

9. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Glad I could help. :) Since I shoot RAW+JPEG sometimes I never even touch the RAW file. Here's one JPEG straight out of camera (ISO 800) that I just cropped slightly and resized. The in-camera JPEG can really nail it sometimes.

Scott, that first shot of yours is great. I would crop the dark area in the lower right out, but the light is just incredible -- it has that cool blue tint but it doesn't look off-color if that makes any sense.

[​IMG]

10. Slowsoul

Slowsoul Member

Wonderful pics...and yes, lightroom is an amazing program. I have really only scratched the suface of what it is capable of. It has become my primary image organization tool, which is mainly what I use it for. I tend to only edit photos when I need to use them...and therefore, I don't get much practice with it. That, and my plate is pretty much overflowing with automotive tech right now.

11. Trey

Trey Active Member

A friend of mine uses LR and takes Portraits. She wanted to watermark the images with her logo and needed help.

I emailed her this link: http://www.peachpit.com/guides/content.aspx?g=lightroom&seqNum=103

It has some other useful tips as well.

I just bought her D90 with 18-105 kit lens. I'm a total newb but have really learned a lot from this site and you guys in the past few hours. Sounds like I'll be looking for an SB-600 and Sto-Fen Omni Bounce soon and some other lens for car pics...10-20? Just joined the nikonians forums too. Lots to learn. :p

12. Trey

Trey Active Member

*dp

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009