Linux users? (Mandrake)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BelvnAWD, May 28, 2005.

1. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

I managed to snag a few older computers that they were throwing away at work, soooo, I am going to try Linux on one of them. Its only 600mhz, but that should be good enough for a computer in the garage. The question is, does anyone on here use linux? I have a how to book, but who knows if it will answer all my questions. I know a little about linux, like you need a compiler for installing new progs (I think), etc. Just never actually done it before. Anyways, if you use linux and are on here, shout back as I am sure I will have some questions....TIA!!!

2. PapitoSTi

PapitoSTi Member

I got a mac. Its really Unix undercover.

3. Genya

Genya No Longer Up At Odd Hours

Im guessing maybe lostinthewoods?
    I know not too much, I work in AIX-UNIX but know just enough to collect a dollar or two..

4. feelthebreak

feelthebreak Member

i run linux, what do you need to know? im most familiar with slackware but its all the same. if its that old of a computer you might be best off running a live cd version of linux theres a lot of distributions (if the old computer has a cdrom) a live cd is basically a compressed fully operating version of linux that runs straight off the cd-rom. nothing has to be installed on the harddrive or anything.

but if you want to install a distro like mandrake onto the computer, ask away.

5. BelvnAWD

Sweet, thanks FTB. I don't know what I don't know yet, but as I am basically home bound for the next few weeks at least, I had to find something to do to occupy my time. I will post back here or pm you as I do come up with questions that I cannot find answers for elsewhere!

6. BelvnAWD

Hmmmm, tried to swtich from Mandriva 10.2 to Slacker yesterday and quickly ran back to Mandriva...Slacker is a little much, even trying to set it up, for a linux noob!!

7. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

I am linux user.

At the moment using Debian, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, and had a copy of slack running.

Use to have gentoo installed also, just havent had the time to play computer geek lately.

Holler if ya need any help.

8. lostinthewoods

Hey BelvnAWD,

What were you wanting to use the machines for. That may help decide what you want to run in regards to distro's.

As far as having enough powering. I have an old 486 running a slimmed down version of BSD on it. IT runs just fine LOL...

If you need any monitors for your computers let me know. I have some 17in laying around here and will let them go for CHEAP!!!!

:wiggle: :wiggle:

9. BelvnAWD

Really just want to explore the OS. I actually am enjoying Madriva so far, though I have barely had time to play with it. I may need an extra monitor, I'll hit you up if I do! As of right now, I couldn't give up windows entirely, but I loathe paying for OS's and I think my cheap supply of windows upgrades has just about run out. Anyways, thanks and keep checking here, as I get more time to get into it, I will post back...

10. lostinthewoods

Enjoy...and good luck :D :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :cool: