Living a Simpler Life

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nygiant, Mar 6, 2012.

1. nygiant

nygiant Member

So I've been dating this girl for a while, and she's been an excellent influence on me. Lately, we've been trying to find ways to simplify our lives financially so we each have as little financial waste as possible. For example, cancelling cable if you only watch tv 1 or 2 days a week. Yeah, its nice to live a comfortable life and have all this unnecessary crap that makes life a little bit better, but do we really need it? Internet tv can be easily had for a lot less so the specific shows that we do watch are accessible on-demand. Do we really need the maximum cable packages to only watch a fraction of the channels? Do we really need home phones if all we really use is our cell? etc etc

I have directv and realized that I only watch a select few channels and then mostly the movie channels (46/month for the first year, then ~70 for the second year). I'm only 4 months into my 2 year contract (smh I know) so I have to figure out how to get out of this contract...so I can get netflix, hulu, or whatever other internet tv options there are.

Right now I have a home phone and cell phone. My home phone is through Vonage, and that is like 35 a month out the door. I am going to be switching to google voice, which is free, but I am having a tough time trying to figure out how to transfer my home number.

On top of that, I am strongly considering selling the wrx and getting something a bit older and so it can be paid off and have cheaper insurance bc that would free up A LOT of money per month its not even funny. I talked to a member on another forum about this via pm and he had the same feelings. Since I have 2 motorcycles, that's a clear waste, so I'm deciding....if I get rid of the wrx I will keep both bikes (a sportbike and cruiser) bc I still need speed in my life. If I keep the wrx, then I will get rid of the sportbike, and keep the cheaper, slower cruiser that looks cool and still gets me where I need to go at 60mpg.

So I'm kind of curious to know if any of you guys have the same mentallity and what kinds of things do you do, or have you done, to cut the unnecessary financial wastes out of your lives? What are the things that you absolutely cannot do without and what are somethings, upon consideration, you can? Also, what recommendations do you have?

I try to catch this show on TLC called Extreme Cheapskates, and while most of it is a little too much to consider, there are a lot of helpful tips for those who are or are aspiring to be better cheapskate and eliminate financial wastes through a little creativity.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  2. b reel

b reel Active Member

I have three neighbors with nice wireless, haven't had cable in like 4-5 years.

3. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Fuck that. You only live once, you can't take it with you...he who dies with the most toys wins!

;)

4. b reel

b reel Active Member

like other items, quantity or quality?

5. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

Granted, this depends on the person. But its been eye opening how much i've been saving since the start of the year by cutting back on the drinking and eating out during the week.

6. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Sounds like me. I have no home phone.....cells work just fine and if I don't wanna answer the cell I don't. I have max cable package but I work for the provider so I get it for the stupid low price of next to nothing....I just don't have the movie channels because they are all repeats over and over. Then we have Netflix streaming only. I get to watch a lot on there.....I have my gripes about Netflix but still watch it enough to keep it. Great for watching older stuff and tv shows.

Also the Subaru was easily fixable....all it needed was front bumper, and the drivers side along with control arms. I had access to ALL the parts for free if I pulled them myself but I was at the point in my life I wanted out. So I got the M3 and said I'll leave it mostly alone. Was successful until the rear diff blew on me and I upgraded it....did headers too. Still was < $1000 but it's a mod....I got tired of the high cost of maintenance and got practical. I currently drive an Xterra and I honestly LOVE it. It's practical, can haul all I need or pull all I need. Since then I've paid off almost everything. Working on the wife's student loans at the moment and we will be living nice and comfy in a few years....we live nice and comfty now with a nice padding in the bank.

Shoot I can afford to go buy a GTR right now if I want to but I see it as a total waste of money....priorities change.

7. nygiant

nygiant Member

Yeah I think my priorities are in that transitional phase

8. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I'm all about saving money but I'm going to use that money on the stuff that I enjoy.

I'm with Matt you only get to ride this pony one time, might as well kick it in the ass and make sure you have a good time doing it.

9. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

I'm having WAAAAAAAAAY more fun doing what I do now than I did during my car phase :)

10. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

standard cognitive dissonance for those with children

11. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

I disagree.

12. SubiNoobi

SubiNoobi Supporting Member

Wow really, talk about cutting costs. I guess theft is always an option.

13. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

It's only theft if the service provider says so and if the owner of the provided service customer doesn't give permission to use it.....every one is different to some degree.

However it's the customer's responsibility to lock it down to that household/business.

14. Jake

Jake Active Member

yeah, cut out the gf not the toys!

15. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

I do the "if I haven't used it in 12 months...I am probably not going to use it in the next 12" rule. It keeps me from collecting depreciating assets.

The WRX was my budget decision to be honest...even with the mods. We can all spend everything we make. I know people that make A LOT of money but are still living paycheck to paycheck. That life sucks. Live within your means and have your hobbies that make you happy. While selling the farm my feel freeing right now, you are going to find that you will end up buying stuff back later thus spending more money on it. I have seen people do this liberating act in the past of getting rid of everything...then their friends ask them to go drive in the mountains...

If your WRX is what you love, get rid of the bikes. If the bikes are what you love, drop the WRX. Pretty simple really.

Live within your means and have your hobbies. Life is supposed to be fun.

16. SubiNoobi

"Hey neighbor, would you mind paying for MY internet?" Unlikely

17. Texsun

Texsun Member

Money doesnt buy happiness... but it makes things a hell of a lot easier!

I agree with getting rid of some of your things... espeically the DirectTV and Vonage lol 2 bikes and a subi lots of toys haha

18. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Look into obihai to use your google voice number at your house.

http://obihai.com/

The device is like $50 and there is no monthly fee. Been using it for about a year now without any problems other than no 911. There are way around it but it does not come with it. I programmed mine to dial the direct local number for 911 in my county when you dial 911 from a handset. The drawback to this method is that they have no way in telling where the call is coming from.

19. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Robb hit it on the head. When I spun my bearing I had the mentality to get out while I was down by selling everything and going back to stock and sell the wrx. Sold my 2.5L with a new crank and rods so all it needed was a piston, my 6 speed, coilovers, sways, steering wheel, and here I am 2 yrs later trying to build the car back to what it once was.

bottom line figure out what's making you happy and include that into your budget.

20. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

how about first, plan a budget.

it sounds to me like Green hadn't sat down in a long time and simply totaled up all the things he was paying money for and looked at the bottom line in front of him on print. When he did, he didn't like what he saw.

We could all stand to do that, it should hopefully crystalise whats going on with your finances for you, but i'm reasonably sure despite owning multiple cars or even a house that many of us on here.... don't... :/

21. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Actually, it has been popular in many cities for years now to leave your network open. Although I don't leave mine open. If your network is wide open it's not stealing.

22. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Bottom line is don't listen to most on here....do what make 'you' happy. Determine what you enjoy....if you don't want to get rid of it and can afford it then don't. If you really don't want it then by all means get rid of it.

23. nygiant

nygiant Member

I do have an excel sheet budget and microsoft money that i use every month. its moreso me coming to the conclusion of cutting out all of the financial wastes by realizing whats really important, what i really need, want, and then the things i have just because its nice to have them.

24. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Well, there's your problem.

I was there years ago... probably along the same age as you are now. I decided that the car was my #1 passion so I justified always having something I enjoy. Waivered on that a few times but always came back for the smiles.

25. SubiNoobi

That's why mine isn't open.

26. SubiNoobi

But back on topic, a college professor said to me once in terms of financial advice:

"There are two ways to be rich: Earn more, or want less."

27. Jake

Jake Active Member

smart professor

28. MeFryRice

MeFryRice Member

That's the problem with people today (not pointing fingers at anyone). The more money people make, the more "materials" they feel they need to purchase (not own because they probably purchased it with a credit card and paying it back each month) in order to complete their life. Stepping back for a moment and recognizing where money is being spent/wasted each month is a great thing everyone should do if they haven't already. I know one of my personal flaws is that I tend to eat out more than I should. It doesn't put me in a bad financial position but it's definitely money I could be saving. I've really cut back on spending money on my car(s) the past couple of years.

29. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

If I leave my door unlocked you are allowed to walk inside and use my bathroom?

Although I did broadcast the radio waves on to your property..

Then again you're talking to the device (router) on my property.

:wiggle: Honestly I'd rather discuss politics with Cool____ than try to discuss that issue.

Anyway, don't put yourself in a situation where you are constantly worried about debt. You'll add unneeded stress to your life. That's stupid.

Do put yourself in a situation where you can afford what you want without having to be miserable your whole life. If you're happy with very little, then do that and save your money for later when you possibly change your mind.

People are different, no one in this thread can possibly explain every side of happiness. It's different for each person. Some people need to be married early to be happy, and some people do it cause they're naive. Some people need to spend money to make themselves think they're happy. Just figure out what you need and go for it, just don't put yourself in a situation that'll f* you over later. Have an out.

30. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

Well, you're already a couple steps ahead of most. Usually just doing that is a shock to most people's system.

31. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Yeah when I started doing that last year I was like holy crap I waste so much money eating out at lunch and walking in the store when I get gas (got a drink and crackers most everytime). It added up really fast.

32. J_P

It's always a good idea to periodically evaluate what you have going out versus what's coming in and do you still need it, or maybe pricing has changed. Some people have "phases" in their life. Do what makes you happy. I too have looked at getting rid of Directv, but I need more bandwidth before I can feasibly do it. Also, sports coverage is still lacking for me.

David, apples and oranges. The way I see it either A.the person doesn't care to share and purposely leaves their network open or B.they don't have a clue about the technology they are using and leave it open. Should we outlaw stupid people from buying wireless routers?

Tell you what.. you buy the beer and I'll buy the steaks and we can discuss the finer points of the ignorant consumer.

33. rsutton1223

They are paying for the service...you aren't. It's stealing no matter how you try to rationalize to yourself.

In life, you are put in situations where there is a right thing to do and a wrong thing to do. Pretty simple. I'm not saying that every one of us is squeaky clean, but you aren't going to get away with saying it is ok.

34. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

I work for a provider. Our standpoint is this....we tell the customer about what wifi is and isn't. When we install the router, we ask do they want it open or do they want it locked down. If they decide to have it open that's their choice. Statistics have shown that it doesn't matter if a customer has access to wifi outside their domain....most would rather have their own dedicated line that they control.

It's like buying a soda. You can share that soda with whomever you like. Same for wifi.....you buy wifi to cover a specific blueprinted area. Your choice to share or not and if the area overlaps others that's just part of it.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  35. rsutton1223

When you share a soda, you say "hey! Do you want some of my soda?" You don't leave it open on a table to come back and find half of it gone.

UVerse requires you to put in the password on the router now. It isn't just left fully open.

36. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

on the contrary if you leave the soda unopened it likely won't be there when you come back (at work)....lol.

37. rsutton1223

And you would be pissed.

38. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Yeah I would be but I shouldn't had left it.......it's my responsibility to secure it....which is the entire argument. It's the CUSTOMER'S responsibility to secure what they pay for if they so choose.

39. rsutton1223

But that doesn't make it ok that someone took it. The person that took it without asking is still wrong.

40. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

the analogy of tangible goods and products doesn't apply to ones and zeros. if I copy a picture you have on your computer, you still have a copy of that. It isn't an actual theft of the content coming down your pipes, the real issue is the possibility of reduced quality of service.

tl;dr: you guys are terrible at analogies

41. rsutton1223

The issue is even worse with digital information. Was the picture protected under a copyright? Did the user you took it from have the rights to give it away? Did they know you even took it?

The only way sponging off of someone's internet service is ok is if you knocked on their door and asked them personally. Otherwise...you are stealing.

42. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

I can copy one of your pics and use it....you posted it on a public domain. You don't own the pic anymore...you relenquished your rights to the said pic when you posted it without a copyright.

43. rsutton1223

Completely wrong.

44. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

Ben Affleck said it best in Boiler Room

45. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

In a way yes. I can't use it to make money but I can use it otherwise.

46. rsutton1223

That is only true in cases where the image has a Creative Commons license. So again...wrong.

47. J_P

I'll extend this to everybody else.. if you want to discuss why this is not stealing you buy the beer, I'll buy the steak, grill at my house. I find I save a ton of money and eat better food cooking at the house.

I'm only talking about the open wireless network. Keep posting away on facebook and twitter and think you have any sort of privacy. Nothing is free.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  48. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

:squint:

49. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Hey Robb your pics are on my desktop cause I like your car. Not a thing you can do about it.

50. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

You just trying to find excuses to get people out to your house? The nice weather is coming, I think I know of a few roads that might lure me out to your house for a BBQ after. Either way I'm in