Lockton Affinity's HPDE insurance coverage

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by beav, Mar 27, 2009.

1. beav

beav Member

Regarding my original post about this coverage, I thought I'd share an update about Lockton Affinity - an HPDE/track day insurance provider.

I've used their insurance coverage multiple times since that original post. The program's producer at Lockton Affinity, Ryan Staub, has been a real pleasure to work with. I had a couple of issues with their web app when signing up as well as them not having an event listed I wanted to attend. I also had some specific coverage questions not addressed in their FAQ. Ryan replied almost immediately with fixes and answers on everything. Customer service you just can't find anywhere these days...very comforting. I haven't had to deal with a claim - and needless to say I hope I never do - but it's good to know you've got a good fallback plan (coverage + good customer service) in the event of any issues at the track.

Speaking of that, they have a new marketing mailer I just received that had the following story that'll really make you think about getting this coverage before you take your ride out onto the track:
    “A HPDE enthusiast was preparing for his 4th event and decided he wanted to improve the handling characteristics on his Nissan 350Z. After spending $5k in modifications to increase the performance, he was excited to see the new potential on the racetrack. The improvement was considerable and he was learning to handle the new speeds his car could handle. As soon as he made the turn-in for turn 5 he realized that he was carrying too much speed. A slight lift off of the throttle at the apex transitioned weight to the front, and his car instantly sent him into a spin that resulted in a major impact with a wall. He walked away unharmed but his vehicle was totaled. Unfortunately, his standard auto policy completely excluded coverage while the vehicle was driven on a ‘surface used for racing.’ The lien holder on his vehicle was informed by his insurer and the following week he received a $25,000 bill to pay off the balance of the loan.”

2. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

I looked into that but the coverage is only available on track days that they are afiliated with, correct?

3. beav

beav Member

Correct...but they do work with most of the bigger groups and I know you can work with your club management to hook them up with Lockton...That's something I've helped with and I think Ryan seeks out clubs/groups to underwrite as well. Is there one you're interested in that's not on their list?

4. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

Scott Siegel Track days :)

5. beav

beav Member

Good idea. I'll mention it to them and put in a good word...maybe Siegel can follow up with them if he's interested.