Looking at laptops for college

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jayj713, Jul 31, 2006.

1. jayj713

jayj713 Member

This is what I was looking at:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes, I am going to be playing video games on this, but nothing too high end.

I'd like to hear some opinions on the processor, video card and the wireless card. Draft N is an option for the network card but I heard the draft N is bad and that I shouldn't get it? These are the choices for wireless cards:
    [​IMG]

So what do you guys think about that computer? And any other recommendations?

2. E-Mol

E-Mol Member

Thats an awesome price for a laptop with those specs. Let me guess, u took some help from fatwallet?

I'd recommend getting a Centrino Duo. Dual core doesnt really make a diff when u running single application but when you multitask, works great. I run a matlab simulation on one screen and on the other i watch xvids without choppy frames.

3. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

Hmm.. Is that a CD burner and DVD reader?

With a 120GB hard drive you might want a DVD writer for backups.

4. jayj713

jayj713 Member

Sorry don't know what fatwallet is :squint:

Yea I was thinking about getting the dual core but it's a tad bit slower and a tad bit more expensive. And I know I won't be multitasking too much, either playing video games or watching videos. And I don't use that take use up a lot of cpu power like photoshop or whatever else.

Hmm, it's either:
    24x CD burner/DVD combo drive
    or
    8x CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) With double-layer DVD-R capability

So should i get the CD/DVD burner one?

And I was wondering if this is a good idea. Since it comes with Windows Home edition, I was wondering I could just reformat the computer when I get it and put on my own version of windows? Cause computers bought from these companies usually have a lot of crap on them right? And I like having my HD in 2 partitions, one for installing stuff to and then one to save all my installers, movies, etc etc. So that when i have to reformat i just reformat the partition with windows on it.

EDIT: I just googled fatwallet so now i know what it is ^_^. But yah, I didn't use that, I just looked around.