looking for a laptop

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bigb996, Apr 24, 2006.

1. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

hey guys im looking into buying a laptop and my reasons for use will be photo imaging, video editing, music, and maybee playing a game, and school. Any suggestions or anything on what to buy or what to look for? i want windows media center for sure, and amd processor.

2. E-Mol

E-Mol Member

Are you planning to do heavy duty imaging, editing or gaming or just stuff for kicks? iBooks are out of the question since you want MCE.

3. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

go for dell i brought mine, i paid abt 1,400 $$ and no interest for 6 months
    paying 41 dollers a month, and mine has windows media center, can edit full video's imaging, music, student, games, schooling, but i had too many options to make it go 1400$$ like 60 gb hard drive on 7200 rpm, etc etc etc for major video editing.. also for tuning my car, running set ups, etc etc etc.. i think it will be worthit..

4. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Since you are looking at video editing, look for a laptop with a dual core processor. Lenovo (used to be ibm) as well as Dell, Compaq/HP all sell reasonably priced dual core processor based laptops. Also consider that you can upgrade memory and harddrives in almost any laptop, video processors (i.e. discrete processors by AMD and Intel) are usually not upgradable nor are CPU's. So. if your going to cut costs somewhere now, make it in harddrive size and memory rather than CPU or GPU...

5. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

well i really like the apple computers they are just to dang expensive. im looking to spend at most a grand.

i was figuring to get a good processor, im looking at the AMD 64 truino(sp?).
    I was at work(bestbuy) today and was talking to one of the people that work in computers and they showed me a compaq computer that they said is great and especially for the price of 750.00. Its the V5120NR. I mean i really want to be able to go to a place with wireless net and just hop on. thats my biggest thing.

the specs are:
    Product Details

Warranty Terms - Parts 1 year limited

Warranty Terms - Labor 1 year limited

Product Height 1.8"

Product Width 14.1"

Product Weight 6.4 lbs.

Product Depth 10.2"

Processor Brand AMD Turion 64

Processor Speed 1.8GHz

Display Type WXGA high-definition widescreen with BrightView technology (1280 x 800)

Screen Size 15.4"

System Bus Up to 1600MHz

Cache Memory 512KB on die Level 2

System Memory (RAM) 512MB

System Memory (RAM) Expandable To 2GB

Type of Memory (RAM) PC2700 DDR

Hard Drive Size 80GB

Optical Drive Double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW

Optical Drive Speeds Drive speeds not available

LightScribe Compatibility No

Digital Media Reader or Slots No

Diskette Drive No

Graphics ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M IGP

Video Memory 128MB DDR (shared)

Personal Video Recorder (PVR) No

TV Tuner No

MPEG Yes

Modem 56 Kbps*
    *Capable of receiving 56 Kbps downloads. However, current regulations limit download speed to 53 Kbps.

Networking Built-in 10/100Base-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)

Wireless Networking Built-in 54g high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g) with 125HSM/ SpeedBooster support

S-Video Outputs 1

Audio Altec Lansing

PCMCIA Slots 1 ExpressCard/54

USB 2.0 Ports 2

IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports None

Parallel Ports None

Serial Ports None

Game Ports None

Notebook Weight Standard (more than 6 lbs.)

Battery Type Lithium-ion

Pointing Device Touchpad with dedicated vertical and horizontal scroll up/down pad

Operating System Windows XP Home SP2

Included Software Microsoft Works, Money, Windows Movie Maker, Windows Media Player; Adobe Acrobat Reader; Sonic DigitalMedia Plus; muvee autoProducer DVD Edition with Burning; HP Photosmart Premier and more

6. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

7. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

If you're just paying $41/month enjoy the interest rate you get once the six months are up. :eek:hnoes:

8. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

heh.

Yeah, Brian, apples are wonderful but they do carry a substantially larger price tag.

9. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

the only thing i do monthly on is my car, i will never just make payments on pidly things like this. I have the money to just drop on one right now.

thanks ming im gonna look on there alittle bit.

Alex, i heard they have software coming out to make some apple things compatible with windows? i dunno....i just want garage band!

10. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

they now have an intel chip and can run windows as an os. i have a peer to peer program that lets my mac and pc be on the same network and share simular files. .doc .mpeg .mp3 .wav and so on. too bad it only works on 9.2 and older mac oses. the computer you mentioned is almost exactly what i had in my dell laptop but it had a centreno chip. i loved it and didnt bog it once. one thing i would sugest is get a laptop bag thats got some padding to it. dont wanna bang around your new laptop as you go like i did.

11. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

the thing is i will be done before the 6 months r over..
    so no interest for me u know but it gives ya time to finish it up like
    1st month is 41 next month is 500 and etc etc
    btw if u go www.dell.com they got this offer going on.
    free upgraded ram, dual core pro, and 60 gb drive 5200 rpm or sumthing but i upgraded mine to 60 gb 7500 rpm.. so it runs faster for video editing.. it's recmended from dell...over all i got my laptop today will post some reviews..

12. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

cool, thanks jt. yea i have a nice bag already as i had an older laptop a while back i used until the HD crashed.

13. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

dell or compaq are fine for win machines. i have 3 dell laptops and not a single problem (and one of them has even been dropped).

$1K is a bit on the low side for something that can quickly edit video, though it can be done reasonably.

check the actual clock speed of the amd chipset you're looking at. the intel M chips that have a "mark" of 1.7G but actually clock up to 2.2G (there's a reason apple is switching to intel chips).