Luxury SUVs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by blindfold, May 27, 2009.

1. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

Hi all,

My family is looking to purchase a SUV to haul people, luggage and take the our usual road trips and whatnot. We never had a SUV in the family, but instead we had a large sedan such as Lexus GS400 but it is old and we need something bigger with more utility to replace it.

So far I have suggested the following:

1. Audi Q7, perfer the looks of S-line
    2. Infiniti FX series
    3. Aucura MDX, however i cant get over how ugly the front grill is
    4. one of the lexus SUVs but we are looking to give another brand a try since GX and RX are not exactly full sized, so probably not a lexus

So far I have not test driven any of these cars besides the RX when i had it as a loaner, the floaty fleeing during a turn is somewhat of a concern but I suppose that is to be expected....

We are fairly interested in the Audi Q7 however I know little about Audi in general and next to nothing about SUV, so any advice would be appreciated.

2. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

2. the FX is going to be small for you.

Out of the list i would go for the q7.. Its an pricey option though. Have you looked at the M class, or the G/R class ? The Cayenne is worth mentioning also.. R

3. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

No VW Touareg? You'd be surprized how nice they are

4. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

5. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

AND you can get the Touareg with a twin-turbo V10 Diesel.

You could tow your house around with that monster.

6. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

check the Mercedes already, it seems the seats are quite hard in the R, will look into M class

I've rode in four hour trip in the Porsche Cayenne, it was a 2 hour each way. On the way there, I rode in the front passenger seat, and on the way back i rode in the rear, my back was very comfortable after trip and the car felt underpowered in the regular non-S version.

Thanks guys for all the input

interesting, not sure if they are still making new ones though

I know SUVs are heavy but didn't know they are almost 3tons heavy...there goes the gas millage. I see average of 16-17 city and 20ish for highways for most full sized, is that about right? What is the real life MPG?

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  7. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

I would also consider an X3 or X5, i really like those bad boys

8. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

there is a V6 TDI Touareg out now that makes mid 200's Hp and low 400's TQ AND gets 25-28MPG

Plus tows 7700 lbs

9. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

prefer a lit bit more luxury so we are also looking at the TDI and V8 version of Q7

on a side note, how common is diesel now, for example if you take a road trip, would remote area's gas station carry diesel?

10. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

yes

Toureg's are nice, I rode in one last year and actually kind of fell in love with the comfortable ride.

11. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

Diesel is all over. think about how many trucks run it. The only issue is that the pumps are always nasty and oily.

If you change your mind about the VW hit meup I can get you the friends and family discount. I can too for Audi but I don't want to since it isn't a VW

12. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

BMW x5 ftw!

13. Jake

Jake Active Member

Yes it is, lol.

The cayenne is the same chassis as the toureg iirc.

My mom gets 18-22 in her MDX. Its nice power is decent but nothing to write home about. I'd buy the Q7 if I had the funds personally

14. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

The q7 is. I dont think the Cayenne is...

15. cleanmachine

cleanmachine Member

I have driven all of the aforementioned and I like the Cayenne the best, especially the S or Turbo, but the MDX is pretty nice too.

16. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

Cayenne and Touareg are the same chassis, Q7 is a stretched version.

17. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

I will test drive most of these and report back.

18. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Toureg seems to fit your requirements. Or the Kia Rondo!

[​IMG]

19. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

My mom was looking along these same lines a year or two ago. After looking at all of those, ended up with a optioned out Tahoe for half the price of all of the others...

20. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

probably gonna go with a non-US brand with the current economic state, I would like the branded dealership to do the service during warranty.

looking forward to a V8 Q7 :D, maybe

21. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

The V8 Q7 is quite pimp.