Macs finally mainstream

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by monk, Apr 6, 2006.

1. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

I'm sure there are mixed feelings about this, but having been a dual platform guy for about 10yrs now i am SO relieved that mac will now let you run WinXP natively on their new Intel based machines (as well as OSX natively). It truely is a happy day, because I really do love their hardware design. My next mobile machine will prob be a mac now.

this also makes apple much more viable in the hardware arena (aside from the ipod, which conversely is a "windows" made for mac device these days)

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Eww, Windows on a Mac box? What is the world coming to.

3. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

I'd hit it. Better video editing with the ability to play games!

4. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

I knew it was just a matter of time.

JK. :D

Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  5. slpymnky

slpymnky Member

If only my powerbook would somehow fix itself....

I miss my Mac so much!

6. longfury

longfury Active Member

I am looking forward to it. My next PC will probably be a Intel PowerMac. The only thing I do that requires windows is games. The main game I play(World of Warcraft) plays just as well on the Mac as Windows.

I use a G4 Powerbook daily now. I will upgrade this to an intel Macbook in the next version.

7. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Yo, it gets even better. i'll will run both at the same time. how sweet it is.
    http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/04/20060406081519.shtml

But, i'm pissed off at apple right now. they've had my "new" intel mini longer than i have. that's what i get for ordering it 2 hours after it's release, i guess. nothing big, just the wi-fi signal is weak.

8. monk

yeah that's what i'm waiting for, the 12" powerbook to come with intel chipset. i'll be all over that.

superdude, that's why it's a good idea to wait a little while (month or so) before you order a brand new 1st time config from a company. there will always be bugs-aplenty. i know, i know... jobs is just so fucking persuasive tho ;)

hope you get it back soon :)

9. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

MACS RULE!!!!

j/k ...at least in my little world they do. But seriously, i was very happy when i read about this yesterday. apple has been doing some great things since Jobs came back. hopefully this will further their growth and stability in the market and continue to get more ppl to make the switch!

10. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

OH, I know. :rolleyes: i was the kid in a candy store.
    I'd been waiting 6 months for the intel iMac to come out. and when it did, i just didn't like the screen(small viewing angle). so i bought the 23" apple monitor :fawk: and both my old ass G3 and Ti Powerbook didn't have a HD video out. so, i got hastey and bought the thing the day it came out.
    i do need to clear one thing; i have my "old" one at home. they had order my config. 120GB, 1GB RAM, and the Duo 1.66GHz processor.
    IT SCREEMS!!! and the front row is PIMP ASS too.;)

11. monk

cool! hey do you know if they do custom config? i wanna get a more powerfull vid card in the 12" powerbook (when they start putting intel in it).

12. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

Virtual PC.....has been running windows on Macs for a min......but I'm sure it's much smoother now....can you run Tiger on a pc though?...:keke:

13. monk

what's the next one, leopard? that one will be natively configed for the intel set, and i do believe some folks are working on getting something in place to run leopard on pc machines.

but their big draw (imho) has always been their hardware. which is why they are pushing bootcamp.

don't get me started on the "virtues" of virtual pc lol ;)

14. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

yeah they need to stop the whole OS cat names....you'd think they would be running out of possible names.....OS X-Siamese:squint: ...so they are unleashing a new OS to mate up with the new Intel boxes?

15. monk

yes, the tiger mates up now, but leopard will be designed "for" the chipset. btw i did a little digging... win/linux will run mac os... it's call PearPC. but it's a virtual emulator. i.e. 2lbs of shit in a 5lb bag.

next up, OS TABBY! they can call the dashboard "catnip" :p

16. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

:rofl: cool, thanks for the info:rofl:

Edit: actually after further review....it's kinda like seeing your fav band on TRL....your happy for them but it's not the same anymore..:rolleyes:

17. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

I like the old school program windows in a window was kinda funny

18. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

i love both machines.. but my eyes r on windows more cause not alot of games r with mac sum as counter strike, cs:-cz and dod and a bunch of other oldies..

19. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

that's the interesting thing about the vid cards. read up on it, becasue they are doing something i don't know enough about to explain. basically, the video RAM is shared with the total available RAM in the maching. meaning: your machine has oh, 1GB of RAM, the OS take 32MB or something right out, then the video will take 64MB right out and "use" more if it needs. so it's good and bad, good you can use as much video RAM as there is availe to the system, bad it uses all your RAM if it needs to. on the dashboard there is a usage wiggit thingy, i can see how much RAM is being used and where. the video has gone up pretty, i don't recall exactly but it went over 100MB if i'm right.

20. jayj713

jayj713 Member

Well now that mac is getting more popular, more viruses might start coming out for macs? :eek3:

21. Trey

Trey Active Member

You will not have a virus on a mac running OSX.

Run WinXP on a MAC-tel and your will get a virus on the Windows machine. The hardware is not the problem, it's the flawed software. ;)

22. monk

SD:
    right, you can do the same on pc's. but my thing was that i wanted a larger dedicated card for the video. the ceiling on 12" books from either side of the aisle seem to be 64MB. i was just wondering if i could talk them into dropping at least a 128 card in there. but then i think they would start to run into cooling issues.

JAY:
    OSX is unix based, the hacker's original sandbox. so if they wanted to, they could, overnight, inudate the mac-universe with bad shit. but their beef is more with the "holes" in the win platform(and the "man" uses the win platform, so what better way to stick it to "him"?).
    to more specifically answer your question, yes-if macs will be running windows, then by default, more macs can get viruses/worms. the windows OS is an actual OS. not an emulator like those in the past. you need an actual copy of windows to install on the mac. that doesn't mean that the OSX, or Unix side would get fubar. just the win side. and pretty much only if your foolish enough to not run AV apps and open attachments from "bimbam" in zimbabwe who needs to "free up some money, so he can make you rich". ;)

23. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Monk, that was your 666th post. spooky.....

with so little space in the laptop's box, they're having issues keeping the MacBook Pro cooled. this is all bad news. the second they go the way of "mainstreem" they fuck everything up by rushing the intel into the market place. read some of these little nuggits of joy.

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,70608-0.html?tw=wn_culture_1

i called the apple store today and told them i don't a "new" machine until they figure their shit out. if they need a month, i'll wait a month. i have the orginal mini i ordered, i'll just have to use an E-Cable rather than enjoy my airport express over my stereo. sucks, but i want it done right, not right now damn-it!!! i wish they'd leave windows the fuck alone.
    OK, i feel better :)

24. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

Ditto:ugh: I guess maybe they are trying to make cross=platform administration easier?....I know we always have trouble with this...

25. monk

the ultimate goal in the marketplace is really to focus on apps, not operating systems(and apple/microshaft are painfully aware of this). that's why you're seeing mac accept win (and intel has had faster chips for a while now). this is also why a company named parallel is making VMware that will allow one box to run linux/win/osx (cause now they're all intel hardware machines) all at the same time. with pretty good results.

what may come of this is something closer to lindows (no i'm not making that up-google it) subscription model, where the OS is circumstantial, the apps are what cost.

apple rushing to market is hardly anything new (nor is it for most companies). they'll get this worked out. apple's choked on every new chipset they put in (one of the pitfalls in being the most proprietary hard/soft companies in the world). intel is a hot chipset, the G3/4 chips didn't even need a cooling fan (that's IBM's doing not apple, and the chips were running a bit on the slow side) so now they just have to fidget around a bit to get the airflow right.

sorry to hear about your mini dude. they'll get it worked out, in the end this is a good thing. the end of OS barriers ;)

oh, right... and the "beast" is upon us :p

26. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

all this said: i'll never not work on a mac. i'd still take issues with my mac over using a "Microshaft" machine
    +1 on the Microshaft, i hadn't heard that one. :keke:

27. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

yeah Monk has "the creative verbage" award:rofl:

28. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

I just want my IIGS back with that JDM tyte mech game :D