major coolant leak

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by WRXbryanATL, Mar 18, 2009.

1. WRXbryanATL

WRXbryanATL Member

I was driving to QT about 10 minutes ago, only a 3 minute trip from my house, and on the way home i drive fast lol. and at a red light i noticed some fog from the front of the cars headlights so i pop the hood and smell a shit ton of coolant. I get home and shine a flashlight in and notice the tank is completely empty, i filled it up yesterday. Did a hose snap? did the tank some how implode? how much is it to get this fixed? cant be to expensive.. :'(

2. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

maybe you should go outside and look at it. I don't think diagnosing over the internet works like this.

if the car didn't overheat it won't be too costly.

3. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

If it is just a hose, it will be $20-$40. If it is the radiator it will be $100-$200 depending on if you get an OEM type radiator or an aftermarket aluminum radiator.

4. WRXbryanATL

WRXbryanATL Member

i guess what i was asking is if anyone knew of a good place to get this fixed or looked at, SoK will charge me 100 bucks to look at it, then another 100 for the fix.

5. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

well, if it's shitting coolant everywhere you can't drive it to get it looked at.

go outside and look at it and figure out where the coolant is coming from. otherwise tow it somewhere. if you drive it without coolant you will be a sad panda

6. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

If it is an original 02 WRX radiator then you probably need a new one. Might as well get an aluminum one with silicon hoses.

Rinse off the top of the radiator (black plastic part.)
    Fill with coolant. Run the car. Look for green around the top where the plastic meets the metal. It sould be the bottom too

7. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

May want to give Trey a call at Zen Motor sports, they seem to have good cooling system hardware for decent price and they are local.
    Phone: 1-(888)-ZEN-MOTO

8. WRXbryanATL

WRXbryanATL Member

is there a chance nothing is wrong? i took the tank out, no holes, refilled it. turned on the engine, reved it up pretty high. what would i need to do to check, get the engine real hot?

9. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

pressure test

10. integroid

Yeah, let it idle for about 10-20 minutes and watch to see if any coolant comes out.

11. undrgrndrdr15

undrgrndrdr15 Active Member

just thought of this.... he said he refilled his system, whats the odds he had a air pocket in it and it just finally worked its way out??? seen that happen couple times

12. integroid

He also said he saw steam come out of his hood and smelled a shit ton of coolant. That doesnt happen with an air pocket.

13. undrgrndrdr15

undrgrndrdr15 Active Member

i was just thinking if it shot out the over flow and hit something hot that would cause both of those things to happen

14. ZenMotors

ZenMotors Member

Let me know if you need anything. We will take care of you with your troubles.

Take care!

15. Same problem here(sorts, water pump seized on my STi), make sure every hose is hooked up, let it run for about 10-20 min and get it warmed up. Best thing to do is drive it, I added some coolant to mine let it run then went to get food in it, found the hose that was leaking. Be wary, check the timing belt and such, an expensive fix if the water pump is blown and causes pullys to explode like mine did.. (belt melted and decided to wrap around pullies as they wanted to spin)