March 4th WRXatlanta.com & Siegel Racing Track Day @ Talladega Gran Prix Raceway

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by Alex, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Well the time has finally come; WRXatlanta.com is now running open track events! We thought it fitting that we host our first track day at an area familiar to most members— Talladega Gran Prix Raceway (“Little Tally”). Located in Talladega, Alabama, it is not only within driving distance (<2 hours), it is an open track (offering the maximum amount off safety possible). It offers challenging turns as well as a chance to enjoy sheer acceleration on the front and back straights.

Scott Siegel, of Siegel Racing (http://www.siegelracing.com) has agreed to help us set the day up. We will open the track up to 10 members at $180 ea + spectators (about 1-2 per person). We have reserved Saturday, March 4 2006!. Deposits must be received ($90) by Tuesday of next week (02/21). After Tuesday, the list will become first come first serve. However, should the list not fill up, we will notify those on the original interest list and attempt to fill the track respectively. Expect payment information to come soon. The reason for the price increase? Unfortunately, with the track closing, Saturdays are now more expensive. But we're able to do $180 which includes lunch, radios, etc. Also, John Swain may be joining us with his photography :sx:

Update! We would like all guests to bring $5 for lunch. All Drivers will be covered, however, we'd like to be sure we have enough food for all guests as well. This should be more than adequate to provide guests with food and drink throughout the day.

For Directions, Caravan instructions and pre-race checklist please see my most recent posts (#112 and #113)!

To recap:
    • Saturday March 4th, 2006
    • $180 per person, $90 deposit by Tuesday (02/21) (See Above -- Wed. is last chance for those on the list to pre-pay should we not fill)
    • 10 Drivers
    • 1-2 Specators per Driver
    • Lunch, Water/Gatorade provided
    • In Car Radios
    • Swain will take photos
    • SS will be there for ride alongs and basic instruction

[​IMG]

Track Specifications:
    • 1.33 mile lap length
    • Width, 30.0ft at narrowest 40.0ft at widest
    • Smoothly graded grassy run-off areas
    • 600 ft paved pit road with concrete refueling pad
    • Shaded paddock area
    • Showers
    • Overnight camping
    • Spacious air conditioned classroom
    • Concessions services available
    • Race fuel available
    • Electricity, water and air available
    • Top quality professional ambulance service available
    • P.A. system

[​IMG]

Registred List:
    1 Alex
    2 Miloman
    3 Brian
    4 BrianGT
    5 Mere
    6 SlowWRX
    7 Scooby Drew
    8 gt9729b
    9 xnoodlesx
    10 monk

Cheers,
    Alex

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2006
  2. Alex

Another layout map.

[​IMG]

3. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

add me and mere to the list, as long as the track day doesn't fall on a day when there is an autocross event.

--
    Brian

4. Brian

Brian Active Member

Yeah, I'm ready for a little Evo smackdown too. :)

5. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

too steep right now. :(

6. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I'm in

7. scuby drew

scuby drew techos ftws!!EEEE

already innnn

8. gt9729b

gt9729b Member

I'm like Brian and M-Chan - if there isn't an Auto-X, I'm game.

9. Brian

Brian Active Member

OMG, that's sooo funny. You used for gt# for a login here. I was gt3758b back in...

91. lol, I'll never forget my special #.

10. BlueBox

BlueBox Member

I'm in unless it's April 21-23rd.

11. revel

revel Member

would it be better to take a class first? done a few autocross events, but thats it. i also havent taken the 'upgraded' version out to anything other than late night cornering practice at the "shallowford testing loop".

12. Mad Mallard

i believe the point is if Siegel goes, it would be like a class partially?

13. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

Excellent idea!

Two thumbs up!
    [​IMG]

Thanks to Alex and Scott for organizing this.

I hope that the dates don't follow on autocross weekends.

--
    Brian

14. xnoodlesx

xnoodlesx recovering meth addict

I'm down. Add me.

15. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

definately interested. but going there will depend on which day we go.

16. Meredith

Meredith Banned

This isn't class, it's more like a track day or a "test n tune" i believe. The gist of the event is you come and try out the track, with instructors are around to help out people when they need it. Correct me if I'm wrong Alex. Most of the track days I've gone to have been in this format and most of the time I snagged the instructors for the entire day because nobody was asking for them.

17. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

yes this will be like an open track event... SS will be helping us organize the event... however, instructions will probably not be included...

oh and im in too :)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
  18. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

Count me in!

19. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

man milo, triple post, thats nuts

20. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

that was alex posting from my computer...

btw, i need to increase my post count ;)

21. Alex

Yes, I didnt realize I was logged in as Milo, lol.

22. Trey

Trey Active Member

WTF?

Only 10 people? That's :nuts: :D

You can EASILY run 30 people there with out a problem. Three run groups with 10 members on track at any given time for 30 min a session and still charge $150 a driver.

Doooo Ittttt!

23. Alex

We're trying to avoid a few costs. Insurance for more than 3 on a track at once is hefty. Also, since this is the first event, we'd like to start it off small and then grow over the next few events.

24. Trey

Trey Active Member

You could up the entry fee to $195 to help with the costs. Will the extra $1350 cover it?

Smiles added for emotion.

25. Alex

Some promotional imaging...

[​IMG]

26. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

wow this did go quick ;) where did you get such a great drawing of the track?

27. Alex

its from their site :D

28. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i wouldnt be too comfortable being on the track ta tally with 10 others at the same time... 3-6 at a time would be as many as im comfortable with

29. Mad Mallard

and $150 is not exactly peanuts for most of us still paying on the car, especially considering the gas expense along in getting there... :( i'm poor

30. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

Hey Guys,
    For those that don't know, Talladega has raised their prices. Saturdays have gone to $2150 for 10 cars. Even Friday's are $1800 now for 10 cars. Fortunately I have been renting Tally for 5+ years and I can get us one more Friday for $150 each.

We can get Friday March 3rd for $150 each, and I could probably get 12 cars total on there.

I can get a Saturday at the same rate, but only if that Saturday is still open 7 days out. I don't think we want to bank on that.

I really don't think we'd ever want more than 6 cars on the track at a time. If somebody is fast they'll be catching people all the time. If they're slow, they will be watching their mirrors all the time. I really like for people who are relatively new to be able to concentrate on learning to drive on a racetrack, not worrying about other cars.

For the $150 each I will bring some classroom materials, helmets, radios, etc and I'll be happy to ride-along and instruct some. It obviously won't be as much personal instruction as a school, but it should help those who are new to a track.

So, the first day we can get is Friday March 3rd. How does that sound?

SS

Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  31. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

Sounds like this is gonna be fun. All my friends who do this track love it. You'll run out of gas/tires/brakes/endurance beore you run out of track time. I hope ya'll have another one when i'm out of school!

32. revel

revel Member

pretty sure i will need some instruction, as i have never driven on a true track before. now to check with work.

33. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i kinda thought u were planning on attending the 500 member party that u will be hosting for us ;)

34. Alex

Man, wouldnt that be something? Racing all day on the 3rd, and then returning to SoG for a night of 500 member celebration. That would be INCREDIBLE!

35. monk

damn i wish i could go to this... i've got tech issues though (tires nearly cooked, shock-tower bolt broke) BLAH!

stupid tein backorders :(

36. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member

DANG, I wish i would have seen this earlier! Any chance that i could come and hang out?

37. Alex

You should be fine with the bolt broken jimmy. How far down is it broken?

38. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i believe u can... scott will chime in with track rules but i dont see y spectators wont be allowed... keep checking in on this thread... details may change

39. Trey

Trey Active Member

Trey Commander has put on three events there with 30 cars, 10 on track and NEVER had a problem with traffic or cars touching. 10 cars is gravy on that track. Now if you are not comfortable with that, you should get more seat time. 10 is the norm there.

Whenever I come up on a slower car, I wait and pass at either the back or front straight or coming out of the skid pad. It's not a big deal like you guys make it out to be. :lol:

Dooo Ittt! The extra cars can pay for the insurance. You can have a Novice group, Intermediate Group and an Advanced group. That way you don't have the fast guys freaking out the slow guys.

The system works, don't be skeered!! ;)

Now if it were a "School" then I can see only have 6-8 drivers there, but this isn't the case.

30 x $195 = $5850

30 x $150 = $4500

That should cover the costs. :naughty:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  40. monk

below the shock tower hole.... gonzo.

41. Alex

Hmm, well you should drive anyway :sx:

42. monk

lol you're not letting this go eh. are there any spots left?

43. Alex

Well when the SS finalizes the date, we'll take the deposit. That will garuntee your spot. It will be a first come first serve system.

44. monk

i'm gonna check with him again on the bolt issue... if he thinks i'm in good enough shape then i'll go ;)

45. Alex

Yay :sx:

46. gt9729b

gt9729b Member

Can we first allow spots to those that signed up the first time around? I may not check the forums as often as the others.

47. Alex

Yes, I mispoke. Please forgive the typo.

The deposit system will work as follows. First 10-12 who replied with interest to the track day have first chance. As those spots are given up, then the next in line respectively will be given the opportunity.

48. Trey

Trey Active Member

If someone flakes, sign me up! I'm itchin to get back out there.

cough*30peeps*cough :D

49. monk

put me down... i'll know by friday if i'm good to go. i'm sure someone will take my space in line if the list get's down that far(if i can't go).

50. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I'm in for sure, I just need to know where to send the money.