Microsoft Access Users (other programs also)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AirMax95, Jul 29, 2008.

1. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

To all the MS Access users (or other programs), how did you perfect your use of the program? I am asking because my boss is a guru at MS Access. I am going to purchase an advanced manual to get to his level (one day, lol). All my knowledge is from just using it, and figuring out the Macros and Coding.

Anyway, he has a QUE manual from 1994. He really has no preference, but he refers to his old skol book if he ever gets stumped (rare occurence).

Has anyone used QUE, Microsoft, or any other program manual for study and reference? There are a lot of publishers in the book store, but I want some hands on up-to-date advice.

Thanks,

~Tereance

2. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

I dont do Access or anything, but i LOVE apress books...
    i use em for c#, and sql server..

3. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

Are the APRESS books a standard in your field or recommended by lots? Just asking for knowledge base, due to the fact that I dont recall seeing them (probably overlooked, lol). The Access book they offer provides code examples for real-world issues, and under $60. Awesome so far!

4. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Recommended by lots!. the new wrox books are decent too

5. Brian

Brian Active Member

Access!? omg that's like so early 90's. SQLServer FTW!

6. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Sad thing is, alot of sales/reporting people port our data from sql server to access to use=/

7. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

Well currently that is what we are using for our database port for our distribution optimization program. We are implementing SAP over the next few years, but that's something I'm good with.

So for now I want to get better at writing code to make the database run complex reports, make ad hoc programs/queries, and things of the like. Many other facets of our business use different programs, so Access is the simplest for now to link them all for my departments purposes. We acquire new companies often, which leads to more incompatability. Learning SQL is on my list of mastering also.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008