"mid-life crisis" car?

Discussion in 'General Community' started by jp233, May 13, 2014.

1. jp233

jp233 Member

Ladies and Gentlemen,

What would, at this moment in time, be on your list for getting a mid-life crisis car?

Here's me, and my criteria/thinking.

1. I'm a sucker for wagons. I love em.
    2. Also been a Subaru fan longer than I can remember. Somewhere around 19 years before there was a WRX sold in the USA.
    3. Big fan of EV/hybrid/diesel tech. Don't get me started on 2-stroke.
    4. Still yearn for American muscle. Rear tires engulfed in smoke and a sweet, sweet sound of a V8 roaring.
    5. Not afraid of exotics and the maintenance/parts involved.
    6. Interested in muscle cars, sucker for certain body styles regardless of what societal/interwebs d-bags think. Like the 80's Monte Carlo SS or GNX body, sorry. The Gen1 Camaro and late 69 Chevelle is just too stupid expensive these days, etc but really like late 60's el Caminos, Ranchero's, )

I must say at this point, that having a track car is actually not terribly important.

My list?

- Subaru turbo car (insert shell here. OBXT, FXT, LGT, WRX/STI, etc.... Baja!)
    - one of the best looking cars of all time in my mind is the WRC97-00 versions, here I guess the Impreza 2.5RS
    - Audi S4 wagon (avant)
    - Caddy CTS-V wagon
    - Benz/BMW wagon (I should've bought the E63 AMG wagon years ago and been done with it, but I digress...) or one of the good sedans (M3, M5, E430/E55, etc)
    - Tesla Model S
    - new Benz CLA is very interesting
    - Lincoln MKZ

there are probably more I'm forgetting right now.

Thoughts?:naughty:

2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

The new Z06 should be on that list as well. I know it really isnt practical but you only get one mid life crisis:)

The CLA is an interesting car but after reading reviews of it being a luxury Civic kind of turns me off from it.

B5 S4 Wagon in a 6-Speed is my unicorn.

and the CTS-V Wagon almost won my heart but I could never find one in a manual.

3. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Jenson Interceptor?

4. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Porsche 911 GT3 RS
    Locust Kit
    Caterham R500

5. jp233

jp233 Member

Yeah, I forgot a bunch of coupes on the list.

BRZ would be a great commuter car, as well as to wick it up in. My commute would be much more fun in a BRZ, except for awful traffic of course.

911 is an obvious one, I could go old school 964 but of course I really like the 993 series - that unicorn is my favorite -- the last air cooled turbo, which are $$$$$$$$$$$$ these days.

Corvette is an obvious one too, really like the new 2014 Stingray Z51. The Z06 is a beast, new or older. Had thought about buying an older gentlemens Lingenfelter modified C5, too.

Also some other domestic sport sedans, Pontiac G8 and the new Chevy SS, Taurus SHO. Those are very interesting.

I had read good things about the Benz CLA. Obviously the AMG CLA45 would be boss.

Funny, the M/T head to head between the CLA45 and the BMW M235i (oh the horror, so many M badges but it's not a true M car? Abomination.)..... right in the end of the video he wishes there was a cheaper car that was faster than both. Enter 2015 STi.

6. b reel

b reel Active Member

supercharged XC90

7. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

I would forget any Subaru. You will spend more time fixing than enjoying the way things have been going for many.

CTS-V, any Z06 Vette, new 5.0 Mustangs?

8. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

If I was in your position I would buy a 2015 z06 or a c6 z06. I fell in love with them when I drove a c6 z06 for the first time. You can find 2008's out there with less than 10,000 miles...

I'm also a fan of m3s....

9. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

I am partial to the CTS-V for obvious reasons...

Are you going to want to mod it at all? If you are...most of your choices outside American muscle and the Subaru are out.

10. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Forget about doing any custom stereo work with a Mercedes.

Also there are no manual transmissions if that a big deal. Mine has pseudo paddles on the steering wheel but I never use them.

I would have gotten a S4 but it was out of my budget. My 2003 e55 with 53k miles was less than half the price of a S4 It was pretty much an even swap with my wrx when I parted it out.

I have added a pulley and a tune and that's all I plan to do.

11. rsutton1223

Why? It's not that difficult...

12. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

It's not that difficult if you understand what you are working with. I've watched several friends work on them and while it is more involved than the typical setup it's still not that bad.

13. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

If you have the MOST fiber optic system and the Harmon Kardon setup you pretty much have to replace the amps and audio gateway if you want to put in an aftermarket head unit.

I would love to replace my current set up but would like to keep the integration with the steering wheel and the dash. If you have any ideas let me know. Just figuring out what other Mercedes stereos can be swapped in is beyond me.

14. integroid

Yeah I agree with Mike....for someone that just wants to change the headunit or add a little more power, it can be a PITA. Of course if you are going to replace EVERYTHING, it wouldnt be any harder than any other car that is getting a complete overhaul.

15. rsutton1223

If you want to keep factory integration and look you would just use a process like I am doing now. Most modern cars you have to do that with anyway. Whether they have Bose, HK or any other premium sound system. Of all of the cars mentioned...basically the Subaru is the only one that the install is as easy as putting in an aftermarket headunit. For the rest...you would most likely keep the factory integration and tap off of that.

16. Sixth_Vang

Sixth_Vang Member

I'm definitely in the market for a CLA myself I just hate their damn packages. I just want the HK sound system but don't want all the other options for 2200 etc. Have yet to drive one though but I do know that Classic Cars on Boggs has a white demo just to show. They have a 60 day open slot right now for ordering.

17. jp233

jp233 Member

I could almost care less about stereos - just want USB/aux inputs.

I did price out a CLA also and the packages are the suck.

Any 2.5L Subaru turbo car, if I were getting one without forged pistons, would get them immediately (and several other upgrades would go along with). My trust in the OEM pistons on EJ25x turbo shortblocks = 0

18. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

smart guy

19. b reel

b reel Active Member

smart guy would buy a blown car on the cheap and not get suckered by the illusion around the word "warranty"

20. slade1274

slade1274 Member

A real smart guy just would have bought Robb's with the forged engine…. and even the FMIC and upgraded turbo already done and tuned.

21. integroid

an even smarter guy would just buy a car that is properly engineered to handle stock power levels without worrying about breaking something.

22. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Go ahead... Just say German

23. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Only to have to rebuild the engine again in 60-80k miles.