Midpipe search

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by AthensWRX, Mar 21, 2005.

1. AthensWRX

AthensWRX Member

you guys know of a good catted 3" midpipe? replacing the UP and a shorty DP in near future so wanted to start checking out the options...

2. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

I think Stromung and TurboXS make one, and there is also a Daddy's 3'rd Cat delete pipe. You would have to check compatibility, because I'm not sure what the TurboXS one mates up to.
    Craig

3. AthensWRX

AthensWRX Member

thanks, i'll check it out

4. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

just get a full downpipe that goes to the cat? Probably cheaper too. the more connects you have in your exhaust the better chance of leak.....

5. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

i have some PVC piping we could fabricate :D

6. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

oh wow.......thats funny...

7. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

haha... you guys crack me up!!

-drums

8. married05gt

married05gt starting over

Hey I went with the stromung shorty down pipe and then bought the stromung mid pipe. I like this set up because if you ever need to u can bolt back in the stock cat with out taking the dp off:bigthumb:

9. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

true you got a point.

10. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

I'm currently looking into replacing my 3rd cat with some 2.5" high flow cat. does anybody know where I can get one of these? I found a Stromung one on I-club from a vendor for $339 :eek:. But I've also heard of a Magnaflow 2.5" High flow cat for a lot less, but cannot find it anywhere on the internet :confused:. If anybody can help point me in the right direction that would be great.
    /Hijack
    Craig

11. longfury

longfury Active Member

2.5" high flow mid pipes are not to be found anywhere. 3" is all I ever found. The Stromung is gonnabe your best bet as it will bolt to the 2.5" stock catback.

12. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

randon tech I think has one?

13. AthensWRX

AthensWRX Member

thanks for the suggestions, I am sold on the crucial racing pipes so that is why i'm looking for midpipes. as for the suggestions do you guys have a good vendor that carries this stuff?

14. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

well alright then.....do it up partner.....

15. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Talk to Porter at Topspeed, he may be able to get them.

16. longfury

longfury Active Member

Its a 3" so it would work for the original poster but not suby1128

I have spoken to Porter and the setup we settled on was the 3" stromung divorced wastegate DP and the 3" catted midpipe. This will bolt up to the stock catback without leaks. I am putting in a helix uppipe too.

I wanted to go all 2.5" but a bellmouth or divorced wastegate is not to be found in 2.5" and catted. Prodrive makes a bellmouth 2.5"downpipe thats catted but its virtually impossible to find outside of the Prodrive power packs. I almost went catless.

I have done literally months of research and searching to find what i want but no one makes it.

17. longfury

longfury Active Member

18. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

what would be the pro's/cons of just taking the midpipe with a cat from an STi and putting it on there? that should make it 2.5" correct, or is this not even worth the hassle?
    Craig

19. longfury

longfury Active Member

Well you'll lose a few HP cause it won't flow as well as a high flow or catless setup. But I don't think it will be more than 5 or so whp.

20. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

but its still better than keeping the 2.25" pipe, correct?
    Craig

21. Genya

Genya No Longer Up At Odd Hours

I have a catted midpipe/downpipe/turboback that I will be most likely dumping off in a month. Its aight, its a random tech setup I got from airborne.

I like catted pipes, they are quieter and non-stinky. But not going to fill my needs at the moment.

Jason

22. longfury

longfury Active Member

As far as I knew the stock pipes were 2.5" on the WRX and 2.25" on the RS. Am I wrong?

23. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

yes you are correct, I called Jason Porter about the question and he corrected my assumptions :D .
    Craig

24. longfury

longfury Active Member

I was trying to call him too. :p

So you were the one hogging his time ;)

25. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

:D