Misfire on cylinders 2 & 4

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Sharpe, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

Ok so i am about to start swapping parts out. starting with the coil packs. here is my prognosis:

2.5 swap with vf39
    modded injectors by ss
    tuned by ss
    new 2.5 shortblock with 2.0 heads
    13000 miles on new motor
    and a few other goodies that i can't remember.

this doesn't happen all the time, kinda sporadic. only happens at idle. i have had the codes reset a couple times and it is always 2 & 4. I haven't tried swapping coil packs from side to side yet to see if it follows. when you give it the gas a little up to aroudn 1000 rpm, the miss goes away.

any ideas?

I am goign to be swapping the packs to see if it follows to 1 & 3. if so then i will change out all 4. i didn't get new coilpacks when i put in the new motor. (dumb qusetion time - is there a difference between the 2.0 and 2.5 packs?)

will check the plugs (one step colder)

it also inttermittenly stalls out on down shift to a complete stop. happened to me and scott on the road tune also. just down shifting to 5th to 1st like coming to a stop sign or red light, sometimes it dips down so low that the engine cuts off. i am still lost on that one...but one problem at a time.

any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!
    :sx:

2. WJM

WJM Banned

Compression test.

3. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

will do that shortly. wanted to add...no loss of power that i can tell...and no oil usage, appears normal and no coloration of gold...been there...done that. got the 2.5 to prove it

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  4. adidasboy1186

adidasboy1186 Member

ditto on the comp. test and checking coilpacks

5. Jake

Jake Active Member

the stalling is a similar problem in at least two other threads. everyone seems to agree they are vacuum related issues.

as for the misfires if there is a compression problem then i would say SoJax is to blame, because you barely have 20,000 miles on that motor and just daily driving. That's why i tend to lean towards the coil packs or spark plugs. Since the coil packs have 100,000 miles on them and they commonly go out. And as far as i know they are all the same. I swapped my coil packs over to Erica's old STi for a day or two and her car ran great at the track. my car ran with her coil packs as well. I wasn't hard on them or anything tho, so...

6. WJM

WJM Banned

how does SOJAX come into this?

7. Jake

Jake Active Member

they installed the motor, shortly before you moved there

8. WJM

WJM Banned

Cracked pistons would have nothing to do with SOJAX. Thats all tuning/fuel right there.

Compression and leakdown needs to be done before anything else.

9. Jake

Jake Active Member

^^true.

just hard to believe that a freshly tuned (modestly tuned) daily driver would have fuel/tuning issues with less than 20,000 miles on the block. now it could be that head bolts came loose or something. Jamey, didn't you say they replaced a broken head stud, or something? maybe its a result of that....

10. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

no that was where the downpipe bolted together.

11. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

Had the same issue...checked coils, changed plugs, still missing on 2 cylinders...ended up needing to adjust the coolant temp fuel enrichment table in my tune and change latency a bit. Since that, have had no issues. I also have modded injectors...that, I believe, is the issue.

12. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

Fuel trims were near zero... no reason to change any of the tuning... In nearly 800 Subaru's I have yet to need to change the coolant temp fuel enrichment table for anything like that...

Siegel

13. crashtke

Just what was recommended to me by Christian, the lead tuner over at Cobb. And it solved the issue. Given, I am running E85, but I was having the exact same issue...random misfires at idle only in 2 cylinders on modded injectors.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  14. crashtke

double post.

15. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

compression and leak down tests to be performed this saturday morning at 8:30

will post results. thanks again everyone for the ideas and help!

16. crashtke

Good luck with it man!

17. crashtke

Any update on how the comp test went? Hopefully swapping some plugs will help :) Easy fixes are always nice!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  18. Jake

Jake Active Member

comp test was perfect 160 165 165 165

19. WJM

WJM Banned

I'd say thats around 8.8:1 compression.

Either coil pack(s) or valve clearance.

20. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

yeah it went pretty good. i was glad with the outcome...the funny thing is that on thursday morning, when i cranked the car up...the light was off and it was running like a sewing machine...so i had the test done anyway. i had the tech go ahead and swap the coilpacks from side to side to see if it came back and followed them to 1 and 3 instead of 2 and 4. so far...it is running like a champ with no problems...

WJM...did you get a chance to look at my service records and parts orders from SOjax?

21. WJM

WJM Banned

No I didnt.