motor question (07 WRX)

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by ihavefat, Feb 17, 2014.

1. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

Currently I have 17x,xxx miles on the car. Everything is stock except for a catback that I put on a couple of thousand miles ago. I want to have a motor ready to go in just in case.

Most likely I will just replace the motor stock for stock. Where can I purchase a brand new stock motor for a good price? also will it be a simple swap or does it require re-tuning and etc?

Also what should I do with the old motor? should I drive it until it dies then replace it or should I go ahead and replace it? I guess the question is, what are my options with the old motor? is it worth "building" a such old motor?

2. Justin V

Justin V Member

If you truly want to go stock for stock.

I have bought parts from subaruparts.com and subarupartswarehouse.com

Subaruparts' prices have gone up but every holiday they have a sale (10% off for valentines day)

Subarupartswarehouse has coupons on their facebook page. I bought stuff on black friday with a 20% off coupon.

Some other places do promo's on shortblocks, I've seen fred bean have them for about 1700.

If you are going to that much trouble I'd swap pistons, a Topspeed motor has that done, or you can check out the manley "A" and "B" grade drop in pistons. The problem with a WRX is the heads will give you a much higher compression ratio. I think I will be using JE hybrid pistons with my WRX heads.

3. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

I am a complete noob when it comes to motors in general. I am looking on the Subaruparts.com and my understanding is that I will have to buy all the parts individually and put the shortblock together?

http://subaruparts.com/parts/2007/S...&vehicleid=192465&section=ENGINE&group=ENGINE

Also how legitimate is this??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-WRX-...2007|Submodel:WRX&hash=item4171d44d8d&vxp=mtr

I am all about doing things myself but there are limitations. Especially when it comes to motors, so I am trying to see if I can do a simple swap.

Also when you said do your pistons, do you mean on the old motor or the new one? Also what is wrong with the stock pistons in relation to the heads? what is the benefit of "lower compression"?

4. Justin V

Justin V Member

They sell shortblocks preassembled. I don't know the part number as it has changed over the years.

Even a new motor is prone to ringland failure. Stronger forged pistons mitigate the potential problem.

STI and WRX pistons are different. STI heads have a larger combustion chamber therefore lower compression ratio. If you use sti pistons with a smaller wrx heads your compression ratio is close to or over 9:1 which is high for a pump gas turbo engine.

You've got homework to do, fortunately your current motor is still going strong.

5. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

I definitely do have lots of homework to do.

I guess the reason for me trying to stay stock as possible is that after researching, built motors do not last as long as a stock one would. I see so many people going down that route and end up just selling the car because they are tired of fixing or before the motor goes.

If I were to use stronger pistons like the JE hybrid, would I need a tune? If a built motor lasted as long as a stock with a good tune, I would definitely consider building one. Not looking to get any crazy hp numbers.

6. Justin V

Justin V Member

Look for 4032 pistons.

They are harder, more brittle than 2618 forgings but still mush stronger than stock.

You can run tighter PWC clearance and they do not lose their shape over time like a 2618 might. They are quieter like stock and have less oil consumption due to the tighter clearances and them holding their shape over time.

Compression ratio is what will get you. If the compression ratio changes you will need a tune because your turbo will spool sooner or later and you may be more or less prone to detonation.

Mahle makes 4032's and I think manley does now too.

I play with summitracing's compression calculator alot.

if you do a new block
    bore will be 99.5mm
    stroke 79mm
    Cyl head volume -I did a quick and dirty job with a medical syringe and pulled 50cc out of my d25 head Concensus varies from 49cc or 51cc STI is 57cc
    Effective dome - will be listed by the piston manufacturer or can be reverse calculated with some trial and error.

Deck clearance= half the stroke+rod length+Compression distance, then take that from the case height OEM height is 201mm so I calculate out 0.3mm
    Compressed gasket I use .040inches

I am using a JE hybrid piston with a 25.5cc dish to get me 8.2:1 CR, using their standard STI piston my CR would be slightly over 9:1

7. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

haha yes! justin is the man, glad he found your thread.
    he gave me a ton of good advice on my ej257 rebuild. I went with mahle 2618's for my insanity appetite, and haven't had any issues yet with 6k miles on it.

8. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

Hey guys. I posted in the other thread. I was in an accident last week and I've been busy with everything :/ So sorry for the late response.

I got the estimate for the repair today and it seems like the damage was mostly exterior. I need to replace my radiator support along with a couple of other parts.

After the crash, the car still ran but I believe the coolant was leaking. The motor sounded a lot louder than usual (it was sort of loud to begin with so many miles but it got even louder). Do you guys have any idea what you think it is?

9. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Check the timing and make sure the belt didn't jump before driving it anymore..