Motorcycle Road Test

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by 07Ltd#767, Dec 29, 2008.

1. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

After 4 failed attempts (all thanks to mother nature and her constantly pissing on my sunshiney day), I've finally got an appointment scheduled where it looks like the rain will hold off. I'm going Wednesday morning to the road test at the Marietta DMV off of County Services Rd. Anybody taken the road test here (or in GA)? I'm trying to get a feel of what to expect, as I'm sure it has nothing to do with actually driving on the street (which is all I've been doing). I would expect to have to zig-zag through some cones and show that you can smoothly start / stop, but other than that I don't know what they can expect you to prove in a parking lot...

Any experiences would be greatly appreciated so I can make sure to run through an exercise or two before I take the test on Wednesday morning.

2. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

In Henry county, this is what I had to do.
    Basic parking lot stuff. Clean arc on a larger circle. Evasive braking and swerving. Practice your fast stops.
    I did my test on a V-Rod and had no problem.
    Good Luck

3. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

It's a total joke. Don't worry about it. If you simply don't believe me and insist on practicing, go ride around in a parking lot in first gear and practice slow turns. And remember not to use the front brake in first gear (unless you're doing a stoppie). If you're a good rider and try hard, you'll actually exceed the test's limits and do poorly. On the swerve-as-far-as-you-can-and-stop test I swerved too far and stopped too quick, so I lost points. :( but still passed easily.

So in conclusion, if you can't perform these lame ass maneuvers without practice, you shouldn't own a motorcycle. And I'm sure you can, so don't worry.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  4. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

They have pretty well summed it up. 90 degree turn in the lines, couple arcs and then the evasive maneuver. I passed easily in the high 90's.

5. The hardest part for me was the very slow tight turn and then stop. Not sure if they do that one anymore..I would concentrate on very slow speed tight turns without putting a foot down.To me that is the hardest part of riding a bike.Yea and learn to use the back brake gently to help in slow speed maneuvers.Judging from the bike you have listed turns should not be a problem.

6. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

Spot on. Took it this morning and it was nothing short of a joke. I made an appointment for 8:30 this morning, arrived at 8:00, was the first person to go and it still took me until just now (and I live about 5 minutes from the DDS location). I'm pretty sure I could've easily passed with a boss hog the test was so easy.

Thanks for all the input guys, and be safe :wiggle:

7. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

good for you! now you can have passengers while riding on 285 in the dark!