Mountain Biking

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by blaze_cunnings, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Not sure if there is already a thread for this but I had two questions

1) Where do you guys go to get your mountain bikes tuned up (if you don't do it yourself)

2) What areas do ya'll bike at?

Looking to get back into riding once the weather warms a little

2. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

If it just needs some quick adjustments you can bring it by my place and Ill do it, I worked at shops for years and I'm probably more comfortable around a bike than I am around a car still.

I live by Sope creek so I ride here a good bit. Big Creek in Alpharetta is awesome. I ride Blankets and Rope Mill on a regular basis as well.

3. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

you pick up that frame for me?

4. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Blankets creek, sope creek, rope mill, big creek, alatoona, Fort Yargo, etc etc...

I happen to work in the epicenter of most of north atlanta's big mtn bike trials, so i ride them all fairly regularly.

5. I'll definitely hit you up on that. I don't think it needs much, probably some small adjustments and new tires. Need to look into this some more

6. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

I do all of my work myself but the only shops I trust to touch my bikes are Reality Bikes (Cumming, GA) or Free Flite (Marietta, GA).

It's a long list on where I ride.

Stanley Gap
    Pinhoti 1,2,3 and Bear Creek
    Windy Gap and Tibbs
    Raccoon Mountain
    Big Creek
    Blankets
    Chicopee
    Soap Creek
    Just about every inch of Pisgah National Forest (my favorite)
    Windrock
    Out west all over

7. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Ahh windrock, i was riding back there in 03-04. Cool place, doing venture to much on that side of riding anymore.

8. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.2.1; Nexus 7 Build/JOP40D) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Safari/535.19)

I do most everything myself but depending on where you live, other are a lot great mechanics around town.

9. slowwrx

I ride 5 days a week somewhere when its not freezing cold anyone who wants to join let me know Ill add you to our Facebook Group.

I don't mind helping new riders so if you want to come feel free.

10. b reel

b reel Active Member

get a mag trainer and spin till it's warm out or in my case till I can afford to rebuild some shocks

11. cMags

cMags Member

If you're out by Paulding Co, there are a few trails out there that haven't been mentioned. Mt Tabor has about 8 miles of technical trail out near New Hope (just rode there this morning). There's another 8 miles or so of side trails off the Silver Comet out in Hiram, and there are a couple others but they are closed due to damage from storms last year.

I personally spend a lot of time at Mt. Tabor since it's a quick ride and closest to me. Otherwise I hit up Sope Creek or Blankets. I've also ridden Rope Mill once and Pinhoti 2 and 3 one weekend trip up north. I just started riding this summer. It's more of an addiction than the car and wrenching on the bike is easier (and slightly less of a wallet drain).

Matt, may have to hit you up to ride sometime - always looking for new folks to ride with. (Just replied on my sorba thread too). :cool:

12. definitely like to ride with some of yall too, add me porfavor to the facebook.

13. slowwrx

PM me your full name

14. Max Q

Max Q Member

While not very well maintained, Ridgeway Trail is right outside my front door so it's where I go the most. Blankets and Sope are nice if I'm down south. Cartacay Bikes in Ellijay is where I get technical stuff done. Mike is a nice guy.

15. slowwrx

Is Ridgeway the trails off 101 Lower Cartacay?

Mikes a good guy, for some reason I thought they had closed down or moved. Where is the shop at now?

16. pankopp

pankopp Member

I typically stick to Blankets, Rope Mill, and Chattahoochee. Helps that I live about a mile from Blankets. Fort Yargo is fun also.

I talked to you, Matt, in the Blankets parking lot not too long ago about my Forester, been meaning to send you my info you your group rides...

17. slowwrx

Yeah man.

During the summer we usually hit blankets or Rope Mill about 5pm every day.
    Fall Winter I ride at Sope because there is a trail from my apartment.

18. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

frame.

19. integroid

Do you need a frame?

20. slowwrx

I've got one but its a little small, I was going to hook him up with a whole build kit I have here but its for Vbrakes, So I've been looking for a frame that will work.

He needs a 18, 17 looks a little short and 19 is tall.

21. rsutton1223

<shamelessselfplug>BTW...I also own Bike198.com if you guys ever want to check that out.</shamelessselfplug>

22. slowwrx

Lots of good info on Bike198^^^^

Its a regular stop on my bike page list

23. integroid

Rob, how in the heck have we never crossed paths before is beyond me. Nice Tarmac btw....I use to have a Sworks SL3 before I got my Venge. I just wish the team I am on now used them:( We should go out for a ride one day.

24. rsutton1223

We might have at one point! I am all in for a ride...just prepare for me to be slow right now. Still coming out of the back injury/condition...but things are starting to look good. Got out for a 20 miler this week and felt pretty good.

25. slowwrx

Its weird, Bryson posted the other day about racing the Norba Nationals series as a Junior. We are the same age, I was on a bike constantly then. He and I had to of raced together many times.

I'm pretty sure Rob said he was racing then as well, I raced so much back then it all kind of blends together but I'm sure we all crossed paths long before cars.

26. rsutton1223

It really is pretty cool how much the car world intersects with mountain biking.

27. cMags

cMags Member

That's you? Awesome, I've been perusing that site for some time now too...

28. Max Q

Max Q Member

Ridgeway is off 282 north of Carter's Lake near Amadahy.

Mike is running the shop with his wife in downtown Ellijay. The new shop is stellar. Him and his wife do a lot for the community up here with the EMBA.

29. b reel

b reel Active Member

goes along with not having a clue who somebody is when they walk up to you at a shop, grocery store or gas station till they say what they ride.

30. bluedestiny

bluedestiny Supporting Member

http://www.cartecaybikes.com/
    We have gone on some of their ride events that include camping and food and they are great.

31. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

yeah. looking to get into the sport

32. bluedestiny

bluedestiny Supporting Member

southeast bike expo event

This was a lot of fun last year.

Dates are February 23rd-24th $10 per day in advance until the 17th and it goes up to $20.

http://sebikex.com/about/ to register.

33. slowwrx

Ill probably attend this year, I'm looking for a short travel race hardtail.

I love My Yeti SB66 but its not the most efficient race bike ever. I think I want something shorter travel in 650b for a race day bike.

34. integroid

If you want a serious bike, let me know:)

35. slowwrx

I think he was trying to keep it under 1K.

I'm digging the Santa Cruz V10, but I think I should probably pick up a road bike before I buy a downhill bike.

36. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

I think i want to go 650b regardless of the day.

37. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Anybody ever try Central Park in Cumming?

38. slowwrx

I rode a 29er Epic when I was out in Texas and there were a lot of things I didn't like. I think a 650b would be a nice compromise.

I don't see myself giving up 26 inch wheels on my All Mountain bike.

39. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Agreed. Although i think i would go 650b on my AM bike. The 29'er i rode was really cool as well, but doesnt aline with my type of riding. Im looking for shit to jump, bunny hop, manual over, pedal kick off stuff, and general play riding...not just hauling as much ass as possible.

40. integroid

Yeah, I would need more than $1k.

Let me know when you are ready for a road bike.

41. slowwrx

I've got a couple of guns I need to sell, Ill probably pick one up at the beginning of summer.

42. b reel

b reel Active Member

don't sell only buy, ploy to squeeze the industry out of business

no supply+no demand=no ban and ALL of the politicians feel safe

43. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

whatcha thinking about selling?

44. slowwrx

Nothing you would want, I've got a couple of Weatherby rifles and some hunting shotguns I might sell. I only have a few handguns left and Ill likely keep all of them.

45. rsutton1223

Don't buy a V10. It is an awesome bike but there is no where local that you can stretch it's legs. I am faster on a 6.5" bike everywhere in the SE except for Windrock where you actually have enough terrain to make use of a plow bike like that.

I am actually in the process of building a 650B bike right now. :naughty:

46. slowwrx

Yeah I know its to much but....

I was going to do Gravity Camp this summer, I've since decided I still won't be in good enough shape by then so I'm going to put it off till next year.

I was 275lbs when I started back riding in December, I'm down to 245lbs now, I would like to be around 200lbs by the end of this year. I think if I can get down there Ill be good to go, as of right now its a lot of extra weight to be hucking off big drops.

What 650b bike are you building?

47. rsutton1223

Just rent when you go to Gravity Camps. If you break something...they just give you another bike. It's awesome.

48. slowwrx

Well since you are going to keep the 650B bike a secret....

I look forward to hearing what you think, I was going to hit the Scott Demo day and ride one but I got stuck doing other stuff.

Its probably dumb for me to buy another bike anyway. I've only touched my other bikes one time since I bought my Yeti SB. I just can't find a reason to ride them.

49. integroid

Matt, you could easily loose the weight by this summer but you have to be dedicated to a lifestyle change (diet) and exercising. Let me know if you need some pointers on nutrition.

50. slowwrx

I've made some pretty serious lifestyle changes recently. I haven't been on the bike as much lately because its been so cold and I've still been losing weight.

I may be able to lose the weight by summer but getting the cardio to the level it needs to be is a different story.

I'm pretty happy with the speed that its coming off at now. I've got a nutritionist I see every couple of months to make sure I'm on the right track.

On days that I don't ride I keep my calorie intake around 1600. On days I do ride I try to stay between 1800-1900 calories.

Lots of protein, lots of leafy greens etc.... You know the drill.

I considered doing the Paleo thing but its just to much work especially if Beth isn't going to do it with me.