Mountain Run 5/28: RESCHEDULED

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by Tom's WRX, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Tom's WRX

Tom's WRX Member

ok seriously,
    before today i thought that oh yeah, it would be fun to take a drive up to N. GA and drive the curves. These arent freeking just curves its a natural race track. im not kidding i was out of breath after driving some of those sections of road. We (lostinthewoods and I) both really want to get some more people up there and take some pictures of the cars going through certain sections. You guys will not regret it at all. If i were a retard i would bet my car on it. but instead if you dont like it, i'll give you a dollar! it really is just like watching WRC on tarmac but really doing it. Its better than that parking lot crap cause there are elevation changes, the turns are banked, you have to adjust to get into the turn and drive out of it. Best time ever with my cloths on. I PROMISE.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2005
  2. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

im down... preferably on weekends

3. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

you know i will be down!

-drums

4. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I am down also on weekends, but what's with this parking lot crap. You know that it is not a flat surface, there are turns that are up hill and down hill, also on camber and off. It might not be like driving on the road, but it is one hell of a test of driving ability, more so than driving a mountain pass because you can really push without fear of damaging the car or yourself.

5. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

yeah... don't dog the parking lot... have u tried it man? its soooooooo fun

6. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

he's just jealous of our mods

j/k tom :bigthumb:

-drums

7. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

8. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

well, I havent really pushed my car to the limits on flat surfaces yet, so until I do, Im not risking the mountains. I'm sure i will push her soon though.

9. Tom's WRX

Tom's WRX Member

Hmmmm

i dont doubt that it is fun, pushing the car to the limits without worry of flying off of a clif,but thats the beauty of hauling ass in the mountains. how far can you push it? i dont know man, there is just something that im not too fond of about running through cones. I would much rather do a track race. I do like the timing crunch and trying to get the best time that you can, but i believe especially with the cars that we have, that they are designed to be the car that can tame the road, not the parking lot, sorry fellas, i'll try it though im game for anything that involves my car going fast.

P.S.
    Shut up rawlings, you suck. yeah i might be jealous, however (comma) i get the chance to build my beast the way i like.
    I wish i was as lucky to find your deal.

10. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

Re: Hmmmm

true

just busting ur balls, you car is gonna be sweeeeeeet!! Hell, it already is. And if it wasn't for you I wouldn't be driving in a WRX!

-drums

11. Tom's WRX

Tom's WRX Member

bustin balls

yeah i just thought that i would return the favor.
    hey arent you supposed to be working?

12. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

Re: bustin balls

ah ha..he got ya there..oh wait..im supposed to be working to..
    anyway this sounds more appealing than the parking lot runs..lets set a date tommy boyee..because im there :bigthumb:

13. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

Re: Re: bustin balls

"yea sure whatever" jk Im totally there too....

14. Tom's WRX

Tom's WRX Member

thats what im talking about, i know that this weekend they are running the tour de georgia up there but if you guy want to wait till that crap is over this weekend maybe we can make a run before the week hits. If there is a day early or late in the week that we are all off, for me thats every day but tuesday and wednesday, and thats only from 6-10pm i say we make a run for it. i know that it really doesnt take all that long, we didnt leave today till about 9:30 and i was back here close to 1. just a few hours of good fun.

15. lostinthewoods

Plus we had a heart to heart on the side of the road :greddy:

HAHA.. Just kidding man. Next week I get to visit the wonderful state of Wisconsin, so I am out tue - Fri.

16. Tom's WRX

Tom's WRX Member

before you leave will you e-mail me all the roads we hit cause i was so excited i forgot to remember. thats bad i know. i think that i can carry the torch on this run, but we will leave a 1 extra car length for you since you cant make it. have fun ya cheese head.

17. married05gt

married05gt starting over

I cant go this sat but any other weekend is good for me. I love driving hard:bigthumb: .

18. AthensWRX

AthensWRX Member

i'm in anytime after this semester is over... and back to studying

19. aworkmon

aworkmon Member

Why doesn't everyone come to the dragon. I think I'm going Thursday, since its my study week. It's pretty wicked down there. I might be in north GA this weekend at my lake house on Lake Burton.

Andrew

20. socrates42

socrates42 Member

sixes gap is bad ass, but nothing in comparison to the dragon! I took my altima up there last year and tore it up with the whole rest of nasioc SE region. there had to be 35+ subarus there. The turns are much more banked. It was an amazing time.

However NEVER CROSS THE YELLOW LINE. On that trip to the dragon, we lost 2 WRXs (crashed into eachother when one hot shot crossed the yellow) an SVX flipped, and I think an turbo impreza L went off the road too. So while MTN roads may be fun, be aware of the risks.

Damn I sound like an old man now!
    oh yeah and don't catch your brakes on fire... i did that by accident last time :crying:

check out last years post dragon thread http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572619&page=1&pp=25&highlight=dragon+altima

21. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member

sounds like fun, either place works for me

22. Tom's WRX

Tom's WRX Member

The plot thickens!!!!!
    i cant imagine going up there with that many subies. im hoping that wherever we go we will be able to be safe enough not to runoff of any mountains. for the most part we are a young member base and i know for the most part we cant afford to be running them off of mountains. as for the gap, i think that it is a really good practice run that people can hit up relatively easily. you can make it there in a short amount of time and get back so that you dont waste a whole day. but going out to the dragon, we would have to plan the shit out of that one. i cant do anything for the next 3 weekends.

23. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member

I've never been on a mountian run, would be nice to start on one thats ok for a rookie. like tom, im book for the next three weekend too. but the overtime will be paying for Ecutek

24. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

Mountain Run II

I'm down Tom, what area are you talking about?. Brasstown Bald?.

Mark:bigthumb:

25. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

So when is this going to be, I am down. Need to feed the demon considering the next Autocross is still a couple weeks away.

26. lostinthewoods

Tom.

Directions to the drive we took.

400N to dahlonega, Follow 19/60 north into mountains. Branch off on 60 at the split and follow it to 180 (wolf pen gap) @ gas station we stopped and mingled with the locals. Take 180 down to 19 (end up near Vogel state park) I believe and follow it back south to 400.

good luck.

27. Tom's WRX

Tom's WRX Member

thanks bro, i was having too much fun to remember where we were.

28. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

Great Area!!

Oh yes, that is an awesome area!!. I have been up there several times, not to race...but just cruisin.

Mark

29. socrates42

socrates42 Member

30. Trey

Trey Active Member

You guys need to take the turn just past Vogel State park and head towards Suches Pass, hands down the BEST road in GA.

Anyway, you twisty noobs need to head to a track day and learn the limits of your car and your driving skills before you head up to the Mtn and kill yourself or worse, someone coming from the opposite direction. There is no way you'd find me up there with anyone that has never been on track or auto-x'd a car. It's just not worth it.....to me.

Reading through some of your posts feels like I'm watching F&F. :D

References :D

BE SAFE!! :bigthumb:

31. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

thanks for the good info trey......:bigthumb:

32. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

im not gonna be able to make it to the dragon since it conflicts with an autocross.. i'd really like to go where tom and andy went last time... im gonna be free may 11th thru june 1st... any saturday will work for me... would the 28th of may work for everyone?

33. Tom's WRX

Tom's WRX Member

im down for the 28th

ummm... 21st headlights?????

34. Tom's WRX

Tom's WRX Member

vogel state park = COPS like no other i hear.

35. Trey

Trey Active Member

I've been 100+ times since 1996 and never had an "issue" with cops on Suches Pass (the left past the park) or any road up there.

It is def the best road in the state of GA. :D

36. AthensWRX

AthensWRX Member

i think i'd be down the 28th

37. Tom's WRX

Tom's WRX Member

good to have you along. it will be good to put a face with name.

38. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

ive started a headcount at the beginning of this thread... anyone interested in going on the 28th of may, please respond

39. lostinthewoods

Add me to this list please.

Any clue what time we are planning to meet b/c I need to head up to chatt to put up a fence for my folks.... blahh.

Add me please ;)

40. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

any time will work for me... how early does everyone wanna wake up on saturday?

41. AthensWRX

AthensWRX Member

i thought the baking was on the 28th?

42. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

baking is on the 21st.. sorry the first post in that thread was not updated until now...

43. lostinthewoods

We could meet up for some breakfast or so before hand at like a waffle house or something.

7/8am?

Later ya leave more and more crowded it will be.

hehe..

44. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

breakfast definitely sounds good... i agree its better to go when there's less traffic... im down for leaving early... where would u like to meet?

45. lostinthewoods

Tom any idea's since your running with this?

Dawsonville has a good choice of grubbage.

Also could stop off of 20 & 400, quite a bit to choose from up that way.

Places:
    Waffle House
    Sonic

Just a few idears.

46. Tom's WRX

Tom's WRX Member

whatever man, something that isnt going to make me shit right in the middle of the drive. i'll probably grab nutrigrain again and a gatorade. but if people want to eat im good to get something good.

47. lostinthewoods

48. Tom's WRX

Tom's WRX Member

i have one of those i think. its for my jeep though!

49. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i'd prefer waffle house

50. AthensWRX

AthensWRX Member

hey how much of the day will this take up? i think i have some other plans later and just wanted to see what the time frame was