Mountain Run Maps

Discussion in 'Mountain Runs' started by lostinthewoods, Aug 24, 2005.

1. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

2. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

very nice....

3. Brian

Brian Active Member

1st map for morning run, 2nd map for afternoon run?

4. lostinthewoods

see the RUn thread.. doing map 2

5. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Well done Keith!

6. hendrix81

hendrix81 New Member

That run between Suches and Vogel is freakin sweet. I ran it one time when it was getting dark, and that is the only time in my life I have ever gotten ill driving a car. There are so many tight turns and twists in this section of road.

The only problem with it is that its very narrow, and there are no guard rails, so if you try to cut a corner a little to tight you may end up upside down aginst a tree. Very sweet run though.

Ryan

7. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

killer stuff! thanks!

8. lostinthewoods

I need to get some more of these up... I have others just been busy at work these days

9. Trey

Trey Active Member

Just seems counter productive to post them if you ask me.

Might as well call the Police Dept and tell them while you're at it. :D

10. lostinthewoods

well if the cops dont know the routes.. then they need the clue :bootyshak

I have to believe people run the same roads day in and day out up there. Only so many roads.

Plus the maps are good for peeps they have been up there and wanna just go explore on their own

11. The cops are usually out on Sundays esp. when the weather is nice.But since we have awd that is not as important.I have been up there during the week and there is very little traffic.Ran into 2 German dudes in brand new Caymans.

12. lostinthewoods

whats up with dead threads coming up today

13. eyeballs

eyeballs Member

as soon as I moved up here a month ago, the first mountain drive I took was 129 N to 180 S. 180 is a blast, even more fun than the dragon IMO, though mostly due to the lack of traffic. Anybody know of other roads that good that are closer to gainesville? Gotta keep a close eye on the brakes though, not much room for error on 180.

14. lostinthewoods

^^ That goes for most "public" roads.. No room for error.

15. flip

flip Member

So how do you get to the starting walmart? :) Not quit sure where that is... I ran one this weekend that was a triangle, it was in Dalonega...

16. lostinthewoods

Its when you come into dahlonega. 400 to where the highway kinda ends.. believe u take a right on 19 and take that into downtown.

17. fsuskppy

fsuskppy Member

Aslong as you stay on your side of the road on these routes then the cops really dont mind how fast you go....I run these roads every day to work and back

18. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

thats also the same route many cyclist use for recreation and training so becarefull if you plan to do the run on the weekends especially on Wolfpen (narrow) but im sure the loud exhaust will warn the cyclist ahead of time but some arent that smart to move over

19. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

Yeppers, I remember a few cyclists on 180, I guess that's a selling feature of noisy exhausts. hehehe..

20. flip

flip Member

Yeah, same place i went last thursday. These roads are AWESOME :wiggle: . Let me know if anyone wants to go one morning on a weekday. Last time we met up at 9am. We could evne meet at 8am or so... I learned a lot about my car on this route... :ddirty:

Found it :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  21. heathbar

heathbar Member

I definetely want to go try it. I can't do weekdays right now, but maybe after school starts...

How much are the tolls on 400 to get out there and back to midtown?

22. lostinthewoods

fifty cent each way

23. Intrigue2727

Intrigue2727 Member

So When Is The Next Mt. Run I Am Down

24. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

just be carful up tere its rumored that owners of property up there put loose gravel in some of the turns to keep people from driving fast.

25. heathbar

heathbar Member

If so, that is not cool. Putting people's lifes in danger isn't worth proving a point. Although that doesn't mean "driving fast" = okay.

Maybe someone was just driving like an idiot, crashed his car, and blamed it on the "road" instead of his "skill." :fawk:

26. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

im just passing on what i heard from a few people. milo can tell you first hand that you dont have to be speeding to get in a wreck up there.

27. lostinthewoods

Most of those roads are country roads and plenty of houses on them, so there is no need to be speeding. hate to hear that someone ran into a dog, cow, cat, person, etc... Specially Wolf Pen Gap (180)

Hwy 60 and 129 a little more main roads, but the cops love them to.
    Just be safe and use common sense.

Please RESPECT the CYCLISTs out on the roads and them room... One of those could be me and or a few other people on these boards... hate to have a subaru buzz me..

28. flip

flip Member

Yah, I believe we saw one turn with some gravel on it but it was my first time so I was paying extra special attention to things and just cruised through it... We had a great pack leader too...

I'm gonna plan another run up there if someone else doesn't do it first. I've just gotta get new tires and my tuning...

29. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

http://www.wrxatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5463
    im not the best driver or anything but i always drive far enough within my envelope on the street... i would have gone slower if i expected gravel

30. heathbar

heathbar Member

um... :sad: [insert foot in mouth] I'll shut up now.

31. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

:rofl:
    its all good bro... i bet a lot of people think im a punk kid who did something stupid and is now blaming everything else... i believe i would have been fine if there wasnt any gravel... however i should have been prepared for adverse conditions that could exist around every corner... i underestimated unpredictability and so i learned my lesson... luckily i just lost my car and not the life of my passenger... hope everyone else can learn from my experience

32. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

trust me... he wasn't the only one who had trouble in that area.

I think that everyone that had *way* stiffer suspension and a *little* :) more than stock power, had problems with the gravel trap.

33. heathbar

heathbar Member

Well, thanks for taking it with a grain of salt. I will definetely keep your experience in mind if I do make it out to that neck of the woods. :wavey:

May your car rest in peace :bowdown:

34. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

it has been salvaged, resurrected and up for sale in canada :D

35. KaamaCat

KaamaCat Member

Milo........How are things (been a while). See you've got a new ride there. (Guess we will have to see it on a mt ride or autox one weekend). In-fact we (Robert, wife and I) did a ride this past Sunday and sureeeeeee was nice up there. Went to IHOP across from the OutletMall @ 830.....left for a ride at 9am, up to Neels Gap, over 180 up to Brasstown, backtracked a bit and down onto rt348. May be doing it again this Sunday.........

36. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

hey bob, welcome back :)
    im in dallas, tx, for the summer and will be back at the end of august... time permitting, i plan to make it to all the autoX events... hope to see you out there

by the way, we have a big scavenger hunt this saturday... check the link in my signature :)

37. lostinthewoods

bob,
    post up if you head up there on sunday.

38. Bolderer

Bolderer Member

I just wanted to say thanks to the OP. I plan on using your map(s) this weekend. If anyone is interested in following me up I'll probably be leaving early tomorrow morning.

39. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

the gravel stories and all that keep me from going up there, esp with rwd, esp alone. let me know next trip up here, and I'll take the back first time, I expect that there is a "survey" run to check road conditions prior to each run yes?

40. thebigph

thebigph longing for another subie Supporting Member

http://dealsgap.com/images/ArialDragon2L.jpg http://dealsgap.com/images/dgMapL.jpg by far the best mountain run i know of...are there any like this out west that are as close to the length of the dragon? it is awesome if you're in the driver's seat but a little more than scary if not. i don't like not being in control especially when someone else is driving my car on a road like that, but then again if giving them that privelage will convert them to subaru entusiast, then it's worth it

41. jayj713

jayj713 Member

im gonna go run these tomorrow, hopefully i can find my way back. i'll probably get lost -_-. So i went to buy a map at barnes and nobles today just incase.

can someone quickly explain what the hwy 19 L @60 and R @180 and all that stuff means? Does that mean take exit 60 and make a left? and does the R @180 mean take exit 180 and make a right? or turn right onto hwy 180?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  42. lostinthewoods

L = left
    R = Right
    Numbers are roads 19 = hwy 19 / 60 Hwy 60 etc..

Its a big circle up there, so you wont get that lost. What time you heading up there?

400 north to where it dead ends. Take a left at the light where 19 heads west. You will wind thru dahlonega on 19. Continue on 19 till you get to a triangle split. Hwy60 heads off left. ver left on that and drive. Eventually you will come to hwy180 (wolfpen gap road) which you will turn right on. there is a gas station and a biker place at the turn. Take 180 until it runs back into 19/129. Turn right and take that back to where u begain.

43. jayj713

jayj713 Member

hmm, im going shopping at northpoint until around 12-12:30 or so. Then im gonna go up there. So i'll probably start the run around 1:15-1:30?

If anyone else is gonna head up there, my cell# is in my AIM away message (jjay042388)

44. jayj713

jayj713 Member

Wow, i must say. that was a lot of fun! Ran the 1st map, i shouldve timed how long it took me but id guesstimate it was about 1 - 1.5 hours. I pulled over a few times to let cars get farther ahead of me though.

There were quite a few bikes up there and they were fast lol, i couldnt keep up with them. The middle of the run was insane, so many S-turns, i think it was hwy180 and 129/19, i can't remember but it got really insane in the middle of the run.

Oh yea and my suspension feels soooo good, first time i pushed so hard with my springs, wheels, and sways and it was just amazing.

45. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

good to hear the suspension worked well for you.

Have you gone to get your alignment yet?
    If not, wait until it's done, then try the loop again. It'll be better.....

46. jayj713

jayj713 Member

yea i got my alignment done at butler tires on wednesday :D

47. lostinthewoods

What kind of numbers do ya end up with? did you do the performance alignment?

48. What do they do exactly in an alignment?

49. jayj713

jayj713 Member

crap, i didnt ask for a performance alignment :/. I don't remember the exact numbers, and im too lazy to go to my car, i'll post them up later.

I'll remember to ask for a performance one next time. How often should we get alignments?

50. bluebudda

bluebudda Member

when are you guys doing another meet to go up there.