Moved to Atl, Insurance went up

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jayscoobiedoo, Jun 25, 2006.

1. jayscoobiedoo

jayscoobiedoo New Member

I moved to Atl in March from VA, Gieco freakin raised my Premium by 358 $ and explaind that by saying ATL has a higher rate of Claims than where i was before.I think i am gonna be shoppin around, what do you guys have for car insurance?

2. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

yep, higher number of claims and (as my insurer explained) a higher number of
    more expensive cars riding around.

--Alfa here, around $80/month with lots of discounts

3. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

My insurance(8 years ago) dropped by almost 1/2 when I move here from Michigan.... I use State Farm now and I think its a little high...

4. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

i like progressive, they give good discounts. I'm 21 and paying 135 a month.

5. Dacula Dean

Dacula Dean Member

This could have something to do with how much drivin' people do here, too. Last night, I talked to a guy who moved here from some north-midwest city (It was late, and the band was loud, and the details didn't matter much). He'd just leased a truck. He said that the dealership wasn't accustomed to leasing trucks because people tend to drive so much here - lease terms just aren't attractive.

More driving = more mistakes. Bad for insurance.

6. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

I have nationwide I pay around 115 a month incl renters ins for the apt. It also depends on how far you drive from home to work everyday.

It's a lot of "cheap" companies out there but soon as you have an accident your fault or not you will be S.O.L. I know all too well.

7. flip

flip Member

I use State Farm. Some say it's high but it just depends on what all you get on your plan. They will work with you to get something worked out that you can afford and covers what you need. I'm under 25 and am paying 190/month on my 05 STi... I know people with non sports cars paying more than me...

8. heathbar

heathbar Member

That's better than how much I'm getting f***ed.

I have Geico, moving to midtown ATL from Orlando. My insurance went from about $700 every 6 months... to $1400!!! ($120/m to $234/m) Double! I'm 23, and have been pretty clean for 5 years (some accidents in high school). Oh yeah, and I'm going to WALKING to school and work!!! Am I getting screwed? Should I get some other quotes?

9. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

the insurance on my WRX was ~1300/6 mos (full coverage) before i turned 25

10. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

My insurance went up quite a bit when I moved to ATL.

11. blink

blink Member

Holy shit thats high.. my cousin's insurance went up to that after he got his DUI.

12. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

dont get the hartford they will screw you over. My rates are horrible but my parents wont switch. My rates are between 2500-3000 a year full coverage right now. Thats with a perfect driving record.

13. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Erie told me after my accident that with a New WRX my rates would be about 1300 every 6 months, called Progressive and they said 1300 a year, so I switched.

14. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

It actually cost me less to insure my 05 STi than it did my 01 Mustang GT. Geico is well known for thier high rates, and laser gun give aways.

For what it is worth, I use Mercury.

15. blink

blink Member

I use to use Mercury, they rock'd until they dropped me.

16. jayscoobiedoo

jayscoobiedoo New Member

So im not the only one here !, I talked to Gieco over the phone yesterday and told them i am gonna shop around for quotes, They did an about turn by saying she will call me today at 6:30 and try to get me a discount.

17. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Yes, but now she has to actually call you, which will most likely not happen.

18. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

mine is 480 per month..
    sucks to be me..

19. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

you guys may be forgetting something. Is Virginia a mandatory Liability coverage state?

20. jayscoobiedoo

jayscoobiedoo New Member

LOL Its 10:00 pm and youre right so far