Movie: Golden Compass

Discussion in 'Movie Reviews' started by SonicBoom, Jun 2, 2008.

1. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Thought it was decent... def. worth the rental. Fantasy type film ala.. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Some of the best special effects I've seen in a while, I'd love to see it in Blueray or HD.. it would be amazing. All the hype by the Christian right about the movie being about killing God is pretty much dead on.. its thinnly masked by the plotline(thinly) but is interesting to try to figure out what their trying to say. I was sleepy when I watched it and would like to watch it again someday so I could grasp more. I'd bet the book its based on is pretty damn good, and there is def. a part 2 coming... I'd bet not many have seen this but hope there's enough for a discussion...

2. jayj713

jayj713 Member

Yea the series it was based on is 3 books long(It's called His Dark Materials, The Golden Compass is the first book). They're good :) for some reason I havent gotten around to watching this yet.

3. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

i liked the first film. when i watched it i had no idea the hype behind it. even after re watching it i don't see what its all about. now that ive read up on it on snoops. i see the real stuff happens in the last movie of the trilogy.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

4. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Just got done reading a bunch of user reviews on Netflix... As per usual, the people who had read the books said the movie was terrible.. not a good translation from book to film. Trying to cram to many characters/ideas into one film, making it so nothing is actually adequitly explaned. I can see that a little bit.. I haven't read the books, so taking it for what its worth.. I thought it was decent.

5. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

I've read the books first. They are definitely better. Plus the movie doesn't end where the book ends.

6. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^^ Well, I think they were trying to set it up for 3 movies like the LOTR... except this one failed miserably at the box office, not sure if they'll be a part 2/3.. Which sucks, cuz they left so much open/unexplained...

7. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

I think they should have ended it where the book did because that would have made it better.

At least they kept the bear fight pretty sweet. It was pretty jaw dropping!

8. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^^ LOL.. yeah, it doesn't get much better than 2 armored giant polar bears duking it out!!!!!!!1

9. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

was it over the last Coca Cola?

[​IMG]

10. FACE

FACE Active Member

I thought it was a good movie but I thought the end was lacking a bit

11. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Lol... he got's no armor... He'd have fess up the Coke....