movie - JARHEAD

Discussion in 'Movie Reviews' started by SonicBoom, Nov 19, 2005.

1. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Saw it Wednesday night... good movie overall. I don't think it'll be what everyone was expecting though. Not too much action. It's more of one Marines' story from bootcamp to the Gulf and back... Overall thumbs up... Just kinda slow, its no Saving Private Ryan or Blackhawk Down.

2. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

i have been wondering about this movie..i think ill wait for it to come to dvd

3. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

my friend told me to wait he saw it and said it was cool but like no action. more like a documentory. so im gonna wait also.

4. AthensWRX

AthensWRX Member

Jarhead is a great movie, you have to go into expecting the right thing though. It is directed by the gentleman that did American Beauty (an amazing film) and he takes his style straight to this picture. Great cinematography, great story line, and more thinking than a bang n' blow film. Go to this movie wanting to think and challenge your perceptions of reality, then you will see the quality of the work.

5. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

yea i heard not much action...good movie...really one of the movies that plays with your head.

6. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

I saw it when it first came out and liked it, although it was a bit slow at points and it did leave me in a wierd place afterwords. I would say if you're up for an interesting non standard flick go see it.

It reminded me of full metal jacket a littl bit the way it changed moods about midway through...

7. turbo510

turbo510 Member

The movie will mean a lot to active and prior military folks. For non-military, yeah, it's not a great action flick but for the Jar Heads, Grunts, Fly Boys and Squids ( I use these terms with the utmost respect!) it is something we all have shared and can relate to.
    It's kind of like launching an AWD turbo car @ 6k rpm, it gives a whole new set of emotions that stay with you a while!!

8. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

i'd rather be called a fly boy rather than a grunt, squid, or jar head.hehe btw...no pun intended.
    turbo510...what do you have done to your SRT?

9. turbo510

turbo510 Member

So far just a ricer plate and a CTI 3" turbo back side exit, no cat from Willy.
    The wife drives it quite a bit and thinks "modifying a new car is irresponsible".
    I'm still in the doghouse for "sneaking" the exhaust on the car. You should have seen her face when she started it the first time after the install!! :rofl:

When are you heading home?

10. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

lol....wife doesn't like modding the car huh? fortunately, my wife doesn't care if i mod the car. i'll be back in ATL on the 9th of Dec. would be cool if we met up. i'm selling the SRT too, cause having an STi, and SRT payment is not cool.lol

11. KingofSiam

KingofSiam Member

For those that have seen it, how does it treat the Marines?

Because I'm more of a "hoorah" kinda guy than an "ignorant young people being tricked into commiting horrible acts" kinda guy. ;)

12. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Can't speak 100%, coming from the Air Force...but I'd say it's fairly accurate. Once you get past the title(hence a stereotype) it's pretty true to life. There is alot that was general to all the branches that applied to the T....

13. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

Being prior military for 13 years, I had mixed feelings about the movie. All of my Marine buddies hated it the way it portrayed the Corp.

Mark