Movie Review: The Strangers

Discussion in 'Movie Reviews' started by SonicBoom, Nov 8, 2008.

1. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Loved it! Can't think of a scary movie thats come out in the last few years I've liked as much. I can say this movie actually scared me, had me looking around at random noises etc... It is scary without resorting to gore (well, mostly). The acting is decent (Liv Tyler is hot), and the plot surrounding is kind've thin.. but it doesn't matter much. It is based on a true story (very loosely based from what I've read). And if your interested, there is a French film that The Stranger is based on called "Them" that is pretty damn good...
    Two thumbs up, kinda restoring my faith that film is not dead..

2. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Has no one seen this yet? I think its awesome and want to hear others thoughts....

3. Deke

Deke Active Member

I saw it just the other night. I thought it was pretty good. I liked the fact that it didn't resort to many of the cheap scare tactics and instead just had a good sense of terror and suspense. There was some stupidity by the characters here and there that always seems to annoy me (but it's pretty much the case with most any horror movie).

The only thing I didn't really like was the end. I can't put my finger on it, but it just seemed a little anticlimactic.

Overall though decent horror movie. I'd probably give it a 6.5/10.

It also gets bonus points for having Glenn Howerton in it (Dennis from Always Sunny in Philidelphia).

On my short list still to see are The Orphanage and Quarantine.

4. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ I thought they did a good job of keeping you on the edge of your seat and keeping the tension high... Agreed about the stupid factor, but yeah, pretty much the norm in scary movies.. As far as the end goes, I know exactly what you mean, it was kind of a let down. But, for me, it didn't take that much away from the movie. Like I said, its been a LONG time since a movie actually had me creeped out (total darkness and surround sound helped ;))..... Lol about Dennis being in it, I noticed that too.. allthough he didn't have much of a part. The Orphanage was a really good film. I don't think I liked it as much as others. It seemed to get really good reviews from everyone, where I just thought it was decent. And beware its a foreign film and in subtitles.. the description doesn't tell you that. Haven't seen Quarantine yet, but it looks good.