My 2002 PSM WRX

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Jake, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Jake

Jake Active Member

Well I got bored and decided I should do this, since i have random pictures of my car at random stages. So I'll do my best to put them in some sort of sequence. Here we go:

November 05: This is how i got her. Pretty much stock, well in my opinion anyways. Bought her from an old friend of mine who was a service writer at Honda in Savannah. The previous owner to him was from florida and as i expected (having previously had a vehicle from florida) i found one rust spot from salt exposure (which i have yet to fix) and of course the brakes were a little rusty. Anyways, as far as mods go, she had 18" Konig Traffiks, Whiteline FlatOut Springs, an HKS RFL BOV, and a HKS Intake.
    [​IMG]

Summer 06: before moving back to ATL, I had played around with the car a little bit. I added an SSAutochrome TBE and UP. Then got a steal on a used ECUTEK and had Doug @TopSpeed flash a base map. Also, I was pondering the direction I wanted to go in with the exterior of the car. Here is one stage where I decided to keep my wheels and removed the spoiler planning to eventually either swap trunks or do some body work to repair small dents and dings and also fill the spoiler holes on the trunk.
    [​IMG]

October 06: Purchased a few more go fast bits for the car. First I removed the HKS intake and sold it. Opting for the safer, more reliable stock box with a K&N Drop In. And swapped BOV's with a friend because I thought the HKS was way too loud. So I wound up with my Greddy Type-S. I also purchased the SSAutochrome TopMount and hoses. Next step was to replace my slipping stock clutch after it survived an amazing 74xxx miles!! Opted to stick with the safer Exedy OEM replacement clutch and then had TopSpeed install it and had Doug give me a dyno tune. It put down 232/239.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  2. Jake

Jake Active Member

November 06: Sad Month. I pulled out in front of a speeding taurus which T-boned my driver's front wheel/A-pillar area. Basically the car was totalled. But since the initial estimate didn't total the car, I got to keep it. Magnum Collision did an AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL job on the body work. Replacing the A-Pillar, B-Pillar, driver's door, fender and most of the suspension on that side of the car. The work is flawless. And they also painted and installed my JDM STi hoodscoop for FREE!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

January 07-March 07: Finally got my car back from the body shop only to hear a strange clicking noise coming from the front/center of my car. Magnum swore left and right it was the throwout bearing and that it must have just gone bad. But I knew that couldn't have happened since the throwout bearing was basically brand new. So I took her back to TopSpeed a few weeks later where they told me that no, the click was instead my front differential. I decided to take it to SOG for a second opinion, and the insurance company was requiring a teardown anyways. Sure enough, I got a phone call from Neal saying not only was it damaged, but the whole front diff had grenaded. SOG says it is more than likely the diff was knocked out of alignment in the wreck and then after driving it home the teeth slowly wore themselves down eventually filling the whole case with metal shavings. Long story short, I had to get a new tranny. After much searching and browsing I finally decided that I wanted to stick with the 5speed until I had another source of transportation and the WRX could be parked and stripped for a complete build-up. So I bought this.
    [​IMG]
    A 2006 WRX tranny and all the parts necessary to make her work with my car.

The car is still currently at SOG getting the tranny installed and some new brakes. As soon as I get it back I will take some fresh pictures and enjoy a nice mountain run!

3. Jake

Jake Active Member

April 2007: Tranny is in and running strong. I think I am in need of a retune after all this work. Plus i gotta sort out this damn electrical mess and keep it running. Anyways, here are a couple of quick pics i snapped today when keegan came over to jump my car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  4. Alex_ATL

Alex_ATL Member

car looks real nice. glad everything is working out

5. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

2nd wreck pic reminds me of an EVO!!!

6. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

man all those pics while i was in the crapper....geez...lol

and please kill the plates in the last pic

7. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

looking good man!

8. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

Glad to see that it's fixed and on it's way back to normal

9. Jake

Jake Active Member

yep. just some electrical stuff to work out.

10. Jake

Jake Active Member

bringing back from the dead. essentially as a placeholder for future updates of the '97 L

will update within the next couple of days

and in case you didnt know, I sold the car. a long time ago, haha

11. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

I've got that block whenever you can meet up. Sometime sat would probably be best since i've got the entire day off.

12. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

[​IMG]

Where'd you get those?

13. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

it's an aftermarket grill.

14. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

You cant just buy those parts for the car? You have to buy a whole new grill...?

15. Matt

it's all one piece, so yeah... :)

16. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

Not on 02's. That one piece that is circled is separate from the grill. Im not trying to argue just wondering.

17. Matt

I've had an 02, and have an 03 sitting in my driveway...it's all one piece.

18. Jake

Jake Active Member

it's the sti genome grille it's a replica. Bought it a long time ago used from a dude off of nasioc. It was already painted. Paid $50 shipped I think. I would ask someone who has bought one since then. Like sean or Steven.

And it's 3 pieces matt.

and bobby saturday is good. but i can come anyday this week after noon as well

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  19. Matt

damnit...since when?! :p

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  20. Jake

Jake Active Member

by three pieces we (or at least I) mean the middle grille where the subaru stars are and the two body colored side pieces in between that and the headlights

21. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

The OEM STi genome is a one piece IIRC?

22. Jake

Jake Active Member

yeah mine was a replica. and so is sean and stevens. not sure where you can pick them up tho

23. Matt

pish...replicas are for wusses....and cheap bastards...which Atlanta is full of.

:p

24. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

it is 3 pieces...i can vouch for that...i own that pile now :)

oh and all electricals are now working along with the 2.5 swap :) thanks again jake...this thing is fun to drive back and forth to work.

25. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

So do you have to buy all three pieces of the grill?

26. Jake

Jake Active Member

27. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

OK cool. Thanks for the link.