My car just kicked my ass

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mad Mallard, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

i was driving home, covered about 20 miles of the 30 mile drive.

Most of you read about my turbo-back from Randomtech being installed and how much I like the very subtle sound.

Well, i've been playing with it for a week now, feeling the difference in the powerband, when i came to an intersection. Its always red when I come at it from work, so I got bored decided to stall up the 4eat and launch for fun. Since I got the exhaust, I noticed i could stall higher than 2200rpm all the way to about 2700 rpm. So the turbo lag is mostly gone.

This time was a little different. I dunno why, but the car stalled, held at 2200rpm, then started going up again. It didn't stop. It went clear up to 3100rpm before I freaked out from the turbo noise and launched.

Imagine, if you will, Ren and Stimpy hitting the button to sublight speed. Only then you can picture the expression in my face as I launched under 3/4 full boost. :eek3:

Holy...

i was buzzing that last 10 miles...

2. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

awesome!! glad to hear your enjoying your new toys..now get that uppipe and some engine management!

3. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

LOL.... [​IMG]

although i think you were referring to the scream scene... couldn't find that one ;)

4. Mad Mallard

yeah, i hoped someone would get that subreference.

I have no idea why is spun up so high! and it wasn't stopping, I just freaked out and let off the brake. For a spilt second, my eyes did the little blurry thing from N4S Underground, only it was woodstock and there weren't any cool light trails....

5. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Maybe it held at 2200rpm until boost started building and then moved upwards with gusto? I dunno. :)

6. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

The stall point is all dependant on the heat of the TC and your power output. Loading up the TC is a lot of fun:bowdown:

7. Mad Mallard

i have got to get a tranny cooler, i dont think i'm gonna be able to not do this regularly....maybe that nordskog i was talking bout too..

8. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

launching is fun :D

9. Mad Mallard

launching under boost is sicccc ;p :bowdown:

10. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

i have a 4eat.. how do i do the stalling thing? and launign under boost?

11. GTscoob

Put your car into D, press the brake all the way to the floor with your left foot. Ease onto the gas with your right foot, then load it up as much as you want (stock stalls anywhere between 2200 and 3300 I believe). Let go of the brake and floor the gas. Be careful not to do this too frequently or for too long of a time or you could overheat your transmission.

12. Mad Mallard

something to clarify real quick. Since the 4eat is still in gear when its not moving, it will build boost pressure when you rev it up.

unlike stick shifts who are in neutral or clutch depressed when stopped, they can't build boost until the clutch is let off and the engine is in a gear.

(at least thats the explination i got...)

GT: so, how high it stalls is in direct corellation to its current temperature?

13. GTscoob

The peak stall point is dependant on the power of your engine and the heat of the TC. More power will load up the TC but also heat it up more, a hotter TC will take longer to reach the peak stall point. More power will allow you to peak higher within the stock TC's stall range (2200-3300 I believe). The high-stall torque converters shift the stall range up a bit(my Protorque topped out at 4100rpm), allowing you to launch at a higher rev.

www.howstuffworks.com has a good explanation on torque converters and how they work.

My old setup would normally take a couple seconds to reach 4100 revs (17psi:banana:)

14. Mad Mallard

so for the most informative temperature reading, I want the fluid thats closest to the outflow from the tc?