My DIY basement home theater

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by nicad, Nov 29, 2008.

1. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I'm currently drawing up plans for a home theater in my basement. will be adding stuff in here as I plan more things out.

all the 3D drawings were doing using google sketchup.

quick and dirty:
    theater will be 12'x18' in my basement.
    front projection provided by an Epson 1080UB (1920 x 1080)
    screen size will be 120" diagonal, using acoustically transparent SMX screen material 16:9 with future plans of using masks to achieve 2.35:1 aspect ratio

all speakers will be hidden, along with the sub. sub will be an 18" mach5 audio driver powered by a behringer 2400W rackmount amp

all speakers will be built by myself using a variety of designs
    electronic gear will be rack mounted outside of the theater, with an IR repeater for remote control duties
    6 seats total, reclining leather theater chairs
    theater will be acoustically isolated from the rest of the house (complicated to do, but ask if you want to know how)
    a starfield ceiling is in the works, but I haven't checked on prices. can lights and wall sconces will provide the rest of the lighting, with a programmable controller with preset dimming settings

I'm planning on doing all the work with the exception of some HVAC consulting, the drywall mudding, and installation of carpet

drawing I've been working on. the rest of the basement will be finished (bar and workshop among other things)

[​IMG]

2. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Nice! How long is this going to take?

3. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

my plan is to start building the speakers around christmas time and knock most of the framing out of the way by the end of the year.

I ended up overpaying the government by like $10 in taxes this year, so whenever I get that a majority of the purchasing will get one. I figure I can frame and drywall on the cheap until then

4. amonsta

amonsta Member

Great plan so far man! Im an interior designer so if u need help let me know!

5. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Interior designer eh? I would be curious to speak with you on a couple things.

6. FACE

FACE Active Member

Nice bro! what we watching first???

7. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I may talk to you if you know where to get some things on the cheap. ie: guildford of maine fabric, leather theater seats, wall sconces, etc :)

8. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

You going to do the high density drywall paneling? Stuff is expensive, but it works...other way that you can go is with foam acoustic panels, but none of it is "cheap". That was my job in a former life :)

9. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Crash have you ever seen the technique where you put drywall between the wall and the floor. I've seen it used a couple of times but I don't know anything about the effectiveness of it as a sound deadening material.

Matt

10. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

for sound proofing I am using a few different approaches. the side walls will be framed with 2x6 baseplates and using 2x4s with staggered studs. drywall will be attached with RSIC clips and a hat channel to decouple the drywall from the outside wall. two sheets of 5/8" drywall will be used with an acoustic blue in between. same technique will be used on the ceiling

some other audio treatments will be bass traps for standing bass waves, and linacoustic panels with acoustically transparent fabric covering them. the stage and riser for the seats will be filled with about 1500lbs of sand. columns will be built for surround speakers and baffled to prevent resonance

11. amonsta

amonsta Member

Kool. Just shoot me a list of what ur looking for and ill hook it up 4 u! The fabric is only cheap when u don't need a lot! Lol and the chairs and lighting are easy! Lighting is local! Chairs probally not. Those get 2 be really pricey! Even with my connections. Also be sure that this room is for ur enjoyment and not for resale. The theater seating has been kinda of a turn off 2 some buyers. In my experience clients have wanted viewing rooms 2 also be game rooms etc. Sorry 2 crowd ur thread,but let me know Design Time 2 the rescue! Lol

12. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

there will be a bar and some other space as well. my basement is 1800 ft^2 unfinished.

mostly looking for can lights 4-6" range. the fabric has to be acoustically transparent

I need to talk to the HVAC guy at work about my options. I have two units (not sure of the tonnage) and want to make sure it will be adequate. thinking about going with a zone system with a damper for the downstairs. the theater has two walls that are poured and underground, so the temperatures are pretty stable

13. Caffeinated

Caffeinated Member

You really sound like you have planned this very well!

I've been wanting to build a theater right about those dimensions in my basement since I bought the house almost 7 years ago. My main obstacle would be the sound proofing since the theater would be right under my daughter's room.

Can you recommend any resources for learning about soundproofing techniques?

I hope you post your progress along the way.

14. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

avsforum

they have a dedicated theater building section. just start reading there for about 6 months.
    speaker designs were stolen from some guys at htguide DIY forum

15. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

silly forum double post

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  16. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

I am a master in the art of pulling cables...just say the word.

17. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

im @ ikea if you need some help with that stuff

18. gt9729b

gt9729b Member

Good luck with the project. I finished mine up earlier this year.

19. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

Where do you get equipment of this sort for $10...??:eek3:

20. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

$10,000

21. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

Got it. I was scared I was missing out.

22. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

Anyone know any reliable residential HVAC guys? trying to get an answer about my situation and if my existing two units can supply an additional 500 ft^2 or so. going to start running my subpanel this weekend and figure out what I need lumber wise

23. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

PM AxleJohnson or Bezerklo

Both of them are in the HVAC industry

24. gt9729b

gt9729b Member

Are you going to be getting permits and inspections for this? Inspectors were pretty helpful to me and that keeps everything on the up and up.

25. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

also, you considered MDF for the walls?

26. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

I work for HVAC company as a manufacturer's rep...we supply to all the supply houses and mech contractors here in the Southeast. If you know what you want, let me know and I can get you some good pricing...we don't do the install, but I can recommend a few contractors in the area if you're interested. However, you'll save the most amount of money if you're able to do it yourself.

27. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

no, there's no real reason to do so except for increased mass. I'm going to use linacoustic framed with acoustic fabric for standing wave control and some resonance issues due to the mode of the room

cool. can you get me acoustic flex duct?

as far as permits: eh maybe I haven't decided. probably not though. my uncle has been a carpenter and GC for a long time and is getting his inspection license here pretty soon so I'll just have him come look at it at each stage

28. gt9729b

gt9729b Member

The only reason I went the permit route is because I live in a fairly new development where the builder didn't finish basements. It wasn't really a big pain in the butt to get permits, and the inspectors were actually pretty helpful sometimes.

If you feel confident in your work (electrical and plumbing would be the only things that might worry me), I'd just go for it.

29. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

mine is completely unfinished save for a load bearing wall. electrical doesn't worry me (I deal with 3 phase 13.8kV at work) but I dunno about the plumbing. I have to run a hot and cold and a macerating toilet so I might sub it out. I can run the new copper no problem but I don't feel like dealing with the tie in for the toilet and sink drain

30. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

Just so you know, if you can avoid it, don't go with a Behringer amp. Stuff's cheap for a reason.

31. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

why? everything I've read says they're great for a sub amp

only problem I've heard of is problems with the fan (easily fixed)

32. gt9729b

gt9729b Member

I will say that installing a toilet was a pain in the ass, but that's because I screwed it up. Plumbing isn't bad, really. I had to chip up concrete in my basement and dig up the drain to modify the stubouts in a bathroom. From there, we've set a shower, toilet, and vanity in a bathroom. It's not bad. The worst part of finishing a room is still the finishing of drywall (sanding, taping, mudding, sanding, etc.). None of it is terribly difficult, though.

33. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

yap. I might be running my subpanel down there today. I need to double check and make sure it has enough breakers available. going to run 100A service.

I've been looking into some things in the theater and decided on a floating joists construction for it. it's really pretty neat. raise the walls of the theater about 3/4" lower than the floor joists above, and set 2x6s running the span of the walls. this way the ceiling of the theater is mechanically decoupled from the floor above and will reduce sound transmission. also cheaper since I won't have to clip it to the floor above with sound isolation clips.

34. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

yeah, one of the two is the most affordable option.

Next would be this, I suppose:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-895

Got a plan for bass-trapping the corners? Or will you be rarely using the room for music?

35. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I built in some triangular sections on each side of the screen to line with cuts of stacked linacoustic to act as bass traps. I may even use the soffit area as bass traps, haven't decided. back side of the screen will be linacoustic as well (acoustically transparent screen) to help deaden the screen

techlord is going to hook me up with a rack, probably going to start moving some HVAC ducting and framing the walls this weekend

36. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

please install a urinal.

37. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I've considered it. duly noted

38. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

Ok, made some progress today on my half day off. ran a 100A subpanel to the basement (by myself meh)
    this will serve the theater, bar, and my shop (compressor, TIG welder)

few pictures:

I needed some badass tape to hold the wire on my fish:

[​IMG]

I got lucky and the fishtape came up the wall and out the panel knockout, SUCCESS

[​IMG]

and the result, 2AWG Aluminum wire in the basement

[​IMG]

39. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

lulz @ nuclear duct tape

40. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

yeah. it's special duct tape for use on nuclear piping (srsly)

actually the tape doesn't have any chloride ions in it, to prevent corrosion of inconel, and alloy 600/690 metals :)

41. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

+1

Every redneck's dream :rofl::rofl:

42. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

subpanel is in and mounted. picked up a cordless framing nailer from my dad.

going to move some HVAC ducting tomorrow so I can start framing the theater walls

43. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Can I suggest a stage that raises up out of the floor for rockband purposes?

44. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

there will be a small stage in front of the screen. not sure what else you mean. a stage to play on? doesn't really fit into the design

45. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

you framing with steel studs or wood studs...

fyi im a gc so pm if you need any sub work done, I do all commercial work and work with the best of the best subs (MaxAir Plumbing and Mechanical, McKenneys Plumbing and Mechanical, Allison Smith Electrical Company, Allied Electrical Contractors, Anning Johnson Drywall, and my guys are always looking for side work...

46. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

wood studs. one of the walls will be a 2x6 baseplate with staggered 2x4s for sound isolation.
    badass about the GC. only thing I will be subbing out FOR SURE is drywall mudding. I'm also looking to buy a mini split HVAC system but I don't think axlejohnson wants to sell me just the unit. at the very least I'd need someone to charge it (since I don't have a refrigerant license)

47. jeb

jeb Member

How small of a split are you talking about? We have a counter where I work that sells all types of HVAC stuff. Units from 1.5 tons and up. Shoot me a pm if you want some more info and I can get you a quote or someone to talk to about what all you need. They sell refrigerant too but I don't know if you need a license to buy it or not.

48. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

sending you a PM. looking for a specific model (a ducted version)

49. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

I'll do the mudding, did it for years, just say when...

50. motomark

motomark Loudest fuel pump Tucker Supporting Member

My humble opinion

don't cheap out on subwoofer.

What kind of speakers you building? I buil some GR Reseach stuff that I am very happy with as a complete newbie.

Consider going infinite baffle for your sub duties if at all possible (ie false wall somewhere).

http://ibsubwoofers.proboards51.com/index.cgi

I agree that Behringers seem to be pretty damn good for the money with few complaints. You might find some good deals on craigslist for a mid-line Crown or similar.

Good luck!