Nasty accident last night.....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bluelinescooby, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Don't know how many of you watched the news last night.... This is GCPD's press release (from ScanGwinnett.com):

Motor Vehicle Fatality

(Tuesday 12/6/05 @ approximately 10:00PM) The Accident Investigation Unit of the Gwinnett County Police Department are currently investigating a motor vehicle fatality that occurred on Everson Road and Leach Road, which is in the Snellville area of Gwinnett County.

A ’03 Mazda Protégé was traveling south on Everson road, when the driver lost control, ran off the roadway, and struck a utility pole. The driver (the only occupant in the vehicle) was pronounced deceased at the scene.

The driver has been identified as 23-year-old Shannon Seabolt (male) of Snellville. The preliminary investigation indicates that Seabolt was not wearing his seatbelt, and that excessive speed was a contributing factor.

Source: Gwinnett County Police

They estimated the speed of the vehicle at 70+ mph, unknown if racing or alcohol were involved. He hit the telephone pole with the roof of the car and folded the car completely in half. Snapped the pole off at the ground. Just got a chance to see some pictures from it, and they were pretty graphic; otherwise I probably could've posted them. A Mazdaspeed Protege bent in half backwards, front and rear bumpers maybe two or three feet apart. Just wanted to remind everyone to be safe while driving, keep the shiny side up, and keep the racing on the track.

2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Wow, just wow...

3. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

oh my god... thats 2 accidents last night

4. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

so he was already flying sideways when he hit? holy shit.

5. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

man..i was on my way home from walmart on 124 around 10pm lastnight. glad he didnt hit me or another innocent motorist. my prayers go out to his family though. lets keep it safe out there guys

6. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

And always wear your seatbelt. I learned alot from my accident and not wearing my seatbelt. Might not of saved this guys life, but then again, maybe it would have.

7. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

thats horrible...i always fear the worst when i see an accident.

8. From the pictures I saw, seatbelt or no seatbelt, the outcome would've been the same. The car was just folded in half and he was crushed. Now were it not for the telephone pole, he might've had a chance if he'd worn his seatbelt.... but that's a lot of what-ifs.

I'm with you on the seatbelt issue, man. Years ago I flipped my GC8 playing "Dan the Rally Star" on a gravel road. As I was hanging upside down with the car teetering on the edge of a culvert, I said all kinds of prayers and gave many thanks. As it was, I didn't have a scratch on me. If I hadn't been wearing my seatbelt, it would've been much much worse.

9. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Well, I am still under the impression that had I worn my seatbelt the day I had my accident, I would have only broken one leg and not both. The steering column was pushed about 3 inches further into the car and down about an inch which caused the steering wheel to snapped thru my right leg. My left would have been fine if I was belted in, instead the impact threw me up and my left leg smashed against the underside of the steer column.

10. cb7stim3

cb7stim3 Member

RIP Shannon

11. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

shannon? did you know the person driving the neon?

12. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

my prayers for the fam

13. TheJ

TheJ Supporting Member

That's sad.

14. Trey

Trey Active Member

Was the Mazda White?

I saw a dumbass in a White hatch last night at the intersection of Satellite and L'Ville Suwanee turning towards 85. It was white with a a huge exhaust that wasn't made for the car and blue turn lights. He was driving like an total asshat. :weaksauce

Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
  15. Trey

Trey Active Member

16. 1984

1984 Member

I think we need safer lamppost, telephone/power lines, road signs, etc. Yeah, I know people shouldn't be hitting stationary objects, but somethimes freak accidents just happen. Lots of lives would be saved if these roadside objects were designed to give way instead of being able to survive a bombing from a B-52.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2005
  17. Thanks Trey, I was trying to post that pic yesterday and I couldn't get it. That was after they pulled the car off the pole and pried it apart to try to extricate the driver.

It was a wooden utility pole.... it was sheared off at the ground. If it had been a big oak tree on the side of the road it probably wouldn't have budged at all.

18. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

a tree kept me from flipping and saved my life prolly
    of course if I landed 3 feet farther back I would have a stump up my arse literally.
    momentum be a harsh mistress 30 mph wreck I got in and my car looked like it rolled.

street signs are pretty bendable when the force of a 2000+ lb object hits them