Need Help!!!! Strut Failure: Pics

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by gfred024, Jul 30, 2007.

1. gfred024

gfred024 Member

I had to remove the passenger strut because (like an idiot) I left out the rubber insulator that goes between the spring and strut when installing my new springs. When removing the strut assembly the strut decompressed
    So I cannot remove it? What can I do? Here are some pics what is this rod connected to the rotor? can that be removed so I can lift the strut assembly over it? Please Help? Sorry for the crappy pics(it was dark)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

Maybe you could get some u-bolts in there. It'd be a bitch to do, but you could use those as a spring compressor.

3. Jake

Jake Active Member

you dont have a spring compressor handy? i would hope so, having just installed new springs. it looks to me like that would solve your problem, granted you can get it in there.

4. gfred024

gfred024 Member

I have some spring compressors but it is having no affect on the length of the strut, it is fully extended?? How do i disconnect the tie rod from the brake assembly?

5. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

Make sure the studs on top of the strut line up with the holes in the strut tower. Or, when you unbolted the strut, did you loosen the center nut on top of the strut itself?

6. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Thats what it looks like to me. Looks like the tophat came loose while the strut was on the car. I dont think the rubber insulator does anything except make for a quieter ride since it stops metal to metal contact.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered New Member