Need new headphones: suggestions?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by monk, Nov 29, 2006.

1. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

I've currently have the sony mdr-7505dj headphones, which have treated me well for more than a few years. but as i'm getting into more mixing and eventually trance/electro composition in a couple months, i know i'm going to want/need a wider freq response.

I know we've got some audiophiles on here as well as some working/ret djs so...

Here's what I'm after:
    type: over/on-ear
    Style: dj (folding) preferred
    Freq Resp: minumum of 5hz-30khz
    power: 2500-3000mw

I'm looking closely at both the MDR-V700DJ and the HDJ-1000...although they're getting some lousy reviews for build quality. ultrasone looks interesting as well.

does anyone have experience with these? or something else they tried that worked better? durability is important, but i'm not a nightclub guy, so they will be treated pretty gentley

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  2. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

3. monk

lol WOW, i'm sure those kick some serious ass, but yeah, i'm looking to keep the cost at 200-ish

4. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

over all ive owned several akg studio quality headphones. i really enjoyed all of them. here are some others.
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--AKGK240STU
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--AKGK171STUDIO
    if you cant tell i really like the sound of the akg over some of the other leaders like Sennheiser. what i would suggest is take the music that you going to be using them for and go to sam ash or what ever music store and give them all a listen. ive found that some lower ends ones sounds better than the 500 dollar ones. its all about how the headphone contours to your hearing.

5. Brian

Brian Active Member

I'm a fan of Sennheiser and own a few pair (I keep 1 set @ work for music everyday). There are tons of great sites comparing headphones you should check out. Try ecoustics.com and head-fi.org for starters.

6. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

Sennheisers are EXTREMELY comfortable, but they lag behind in sound quality IME.

if you like the sonys you had, i'd say stick with them. They haven't really changed how they make their drivers in the last 10 years.

I also like Audio Technica for DJ-style headphones.

7. monk

thanks for all the input guys... the more i'm reading around, the more ultrasone and grado sound interesting too, blah, i'm gonna have to go around to a few more music shops (which i did, but not enough apparently).

my biggest gripe right now is WHY is it so hard to make solid quality, broad range, and yet bad ass looking DJ cans (ala pioneer/sony)?

it's a conspiracy.

i really do dig the sony 'phones-i've got two pairs, but i really need a lower/higher FR for composition.

8. monk

update: got the pioneer HDJ1000. yeah i know they're gonna break, but that's why i got unconditional 2 year replacement plan for 20$. oh, they'll have an accident before then for sure ;)

for those interested, i tested the Audio Technica, sony mdr700dj, akg djs, and a pair of senn-dj headphones within the price range ($200).

the pioneers were the pick. the only ones really close were the akg phones(which did have better build-quality than the sony or pioneer). but they were a touch too heavy on the bass emphasis. the sony's were quite good too. but the pioneers were just as crisp as a glass of ice water ;)

they are bling though. i won't lie about that. kinda wish they were black.

9. jayj713

jayj713 Member

lol, are there any good headphones to sleep with ? Because earbuds dont fit my ears and i like sleeping with headphones on.