need some legal advise

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by scuby drew, Dec 20, 2005.

1. scuby drew

scuby drew techos ftws!!EEEE

Does an employer have the right say that they dont pay overtime after the hours have already been worked?
    Can an employer fire a salried worker that has been with the company for 5 years out of the clear blue and give no cause other than they dont want you around any longer because you were arrested, not convicted?
    Can an employer pay you on whatever date they want even if they have said specific pay days?
    We are having some major payment problems with the ice rinks that i have been working at and have gotten all my friends working at. I have just started doing my legal homework on the entire situation and will be contacting some lawyers later this week. The company has not paid us a single time on the pay date and the first check was over 3 weeks late and when they did arrive no one was paid the amount that they were owed. My fellow workers and i are looking into a serious law suite, but want to make sure we have the legal right to first.
    thanks for all help and advice
    drew

2. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

it's good that you're getting legal assistance... GA is a "right to work" state, which means they can hire you and fire you upon their discretion (unless you're a minority or handicapped/special needs which makes it considerably harder for them to use "discretion" because that can put them into conflict with overriding federal employment laws, and even this becomes a slope with their subscription to EOE policies ). unfortunately as well as the atl economy has been doing, few pay attention to the absolutely piss poor employee/consumer protections this state has.

you need to get the paperwork (all of it) that you received, including signed papers and review them very carefully regarding pay schedules and lieniency. this is where you'll probably find the "employer/employee reserves the right to terminate employment at will, without cause)

you may not have meant this but to clarify, "salried" workers are not guaranteed overtime nor comp time payout, however hourly workers need to be paid for each hour (i believe down to the .25 hr)worked, and paid overtime per their employment agreement at an increased rate for any time worked above i think 32 hours (i say i think because i'm not sure if some companies have different overtime hour stipulations, for example, wal-mart likes to tout that they have "so many" overtime employees, but walmart defines full time as 20-some odd hours.)

again, a lawyer is the way to go, good luck with your persuits.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2005
  3. Brian

Brian Active Member

Remember, there are new federal laws classifying workers as salaried or hourly. Employers can't say everyone is salaried just to avoid paying overtime.